collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by mjlions
[Today at 09:53:22 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 09:51:58 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Forge10
[Today at 09:51:32 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Forge10
[Today at 09:48:13 PM]

Snooker by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:35:43 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:23:16 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 09:10:31 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread  (Read 29087 times)

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
Re: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »
Another vote for Nakamba - he was excellent and looks the real deal to me. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
Allowing Burnley to push us around is PL naivety. You knew it was going happen from the start and certainly after HT when Dyche would get into them. We need to be stronger mentally, physically and just smarter overall.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
So close again, but unfortunatley not enough. No need to panic just yet but we do need to be cuter and quick. If we had the nous of Burnley we'd be sitting in their spot now with the points we've thrown away.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
The problem with Wesley is not just the underwhelming performances so far, it's that he's our senior striker.  He's crying out for an experienced striker to learn from.

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »
Missed today as I am on holiday. Lying by the hotel pool, following the forum and following the BBC Sport website, both seemed to suggest that Burnley had scored a very late goal so I thought that we had lost. So I feel quite pleased with a point.
Seriously, it appears that goalscoring and defending early in games isn't a problem but the same later in games is. We have the players but fitness and Deano's tactics as games progress are an issue. Better training can solve the first point but hopefully Deano will learn and that will solve the second. We should have enough to stay up. Deano knows more about the English game than Remi Garde did, or am I trying to convince myself?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
Surprised that there was no mention of the shirt pull on Guilbert I think for their first goal by Barnes. To me, he gained an advantage and crossed for the cheat Rodriguez to score. Villa players tried to draw the Ref's attention to it but no VAR!
A frustrating game which we should've won. Defensive lapses are being punished. The ref Lee Mason was rubbish today.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 06:08:41 PM by Villafirst »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »
Whereas last season we were a team and a team who played for each other, we now look like a collection of individuals.

And I am fucking sick of the histrionics from Wesley, el Ghazi and Trezeguet.
I really, really detest the phrase,  but these 3 really need to fucking ‘man up’.

The honeymoon is over,

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
I think we played pretty well and it's frustrating not to get the three points. We obviously need to start getting some wins ASAP but I think we'll get there.

I'd put Keinan in for Wesley next week and see how we go.

Think if Kodjia gets a full week of training he might be a surprise starter next week. Had good scoring record v Norwich in the championship.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2019, 06:18:39 PM »
One big thing I’d like to see change is us playing the whistle and not being a bunch of face clutching, fake yellow card waving jessies. It probably was a foul in the build up to the first goal but, equally, if el ghazi had been more focused on getting a foot in and less on the drama queen shite it’s probably not a goal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
We are struggling to put in a full ninety minute performance. A decent Championship team like we were last season can get away with a good sixty minute performance and ride their luck for the other thirty minutes. In the Premier League you need to be physically and mentally on form for pretty much the whole game or you will be punished.

I will also agree that lee Mason put in a poor refereeing performance today.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »
we are drawing games we should be winning
and losing games we should be drawing

it’s a big problem

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2019, 06:20:12 PM »
The problem with Wesley is not just the underwhelming performances so far, it's that he's our senior striker.  He's crying out for an experienced striker to learn from.

It's worth remembering when we signed Benteke in 2012 we still had Bent and Gabby who at that stage were still reasonably effective premier league strikers. We also had Wiemann coming through who had best season of his career that season.

That's the strength in depth you need when you're bringing in young strikers from abroad so you can take them out for a game or two when they need it like we did with Benteke.

Simply don't have it this season.

Can actually see Kodj starting next week, he scored a few v Norwich in the championship.

Offline danno

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »

He's got Drogba's horizontal positioning down to a tee. Although Didier did seem to win more free kicks than him. 

Good awareness and dummy for our offside goal that was chalked off.  But he was pretty bad today, he has to be stronger if he wants to make it as a lone striker.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
So frustrating again, some of the players should be busting a gut to block the crosses and get a tackle in but some would rather take the opportunity to go down holding their face hoping the ref will give them a decision at the slightest touch.
Should have won that but you have to say feckin Burnley have better strikers than us. We need to buy better forwards in Jan.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »
I’ve said before this ship has sailed but that said if Benteke was available in Jan, even on loan I’d be all over it. Not just as a chance for him to make something of the rest of his career but as a mentor to Wes. If anyone in his prime knew how to bully CB’s it was Benteke. The question obviously is does he still have it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal