collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36691 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »
I think we need to perhaps recalibrate our reality if we think a a side who finished with 70 points are a nothing team. Not as good as they were, undoubtedly, but let's not be daft.

Equally, a very average West Ham, who beat Man United today comfortably and have about £150 million of forward players.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:57:45 PM by Ads »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
I agree that it wasn’t a particularly impressive Arsenal side, thought the midfielder with the big hair drove the play well, other than that bang average.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
On the subject of the Arses. Their fans are the most pathetic, whining b-stards out there. They forced Wenger out, when he had given them more than they deserved. Today all through the game on tw-tter they were calling for Emery to be sacked. They really are a sad shower of self entitled pr-cks.

Offline danno

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
I think we need to perhaps recalibrate our reality if we think a a side who finished with 70 points are a nothing team. Not as good as they were, undoubtedly, but let's not be daft.

Equally, a very average West Ham, who beat Man United today comfortably and have about £150 million of forward players.

Am glad you said it, I felt dirty complimenting either of them!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
Thought we were desperately poor early on. AEG failing to track the full back in the first min should have led to an Arsenal goal. As expected, they were as nervous as we were and first goal was going to be crucial. Credit El Ghazi for the cross and McGinn for making the run, untracked by Ghendouzi. Thought Maitland Niles second yellow was harsh but he shouldnt have been diving in like that when booked already (good run from AEG drew the first yellow).
You would think after Monday night, we would be a lot better off for the experience of playing with an extra man. Especially against an Arsenal midfield badly lacking mobility (Xhaka and Ceballos were hopeless). Smith's go to attacking change bringing Elmo on the right didnt have the desired effect to put it mildly. But the crucial subs were a few minutes later, Emery, possibly facing the sack,  went for a double change in midfield and immediately Arsenal took charge, Ghendouzi hit the post and it seemed they had the extra man. Villa at sea on the pitch and on the sideline. Penalty was harsh enough I thought, Engels had little option with the ball, Trez hid from the pass, good run but wasnt much contact I thought. Grealish finally produced a moment of quality a few minutes later but we never seemed comfortable even at 1-2. Again Smith badly found wanting. Diabolical second goal conceded, AEG not tracking the run (trademark), Mings not clearing his lines, Taylor glued to the spot. Third was brutal too, shot wasnt even in corner, poor wall and Grealish poor again. Bit unlucky not to get a penalty from Hourihane's shot but we didnt deserve anything.

Heaton 5- needs to take a share of the blame for the hologram of a wall for the winner
Guilbert 6 - bit lightweight but his pace gives us options, needs to use ball better and his crosses were both unnecessary and predictable
Engels 6 - our best player for most of the game but at fault arguably for two goals
Mings 7 - dominant for most of it but crazy decision to head towards Taylor cost us a goal
Taylor 5 - thought he was solid enough for most of the game, after second goal went in he lost the plot
Nakamba 6 - solid enough and looks a decent addition, didnt do enough to keep us playing with an extra man though
McGinn 7 - deserved the goal and a danger throughout but not managing his energy properly nor contributing enough to keeping the ball
Grealish 5 - provided the best moment of quality in the game but that aside his performance was unacceptable, he should be thriving against 10 men but rarely took responsibility in or out of possession. question mark over captaincy for me
AEG 5 - like Grealish in that a single assist cant paper over the cracks of his performance, without the ball a liability as proved for the second goal and numerous poor decisions with it. Frustrating as clearly has talent
Trez 5 - worked hard without the ball but precious little quality with it. His pace is useful but a very limited player Im afraid. Poor for the first goal.
Wesley 5 - The goal added about 2 marks to his score, really poor in general play against a pair of centre backs that have been in poor form. Like most was hoping he would have been taken on at half time.

Elmo 4 - horrible but not his fault, reminds me of McLeish playing Hutton right wing v Spurs
Hourihane was lively when he came in, Lansbury seemed to be brought on at left wing!

Smith 3 - Another Dean Smith tactical horror show Im afraid. We have had 80-90mins in the last two games with an extra man and been genuinely clueless. Subs and timing of them a huge problem now.

Really interesting post. I agree with your thinking that I think you're saying in that foreign managers are far more likely to roll the dice at key moments in games when he made that double change that gave them much more mobility in central midfield to nulifiy McGinn. It's not like Emery was bringing on world class players either, think Willock has five premier league games in his career. As you say a comeback that arguably has kept him in a job as defeat and Arsenal fans would've be giving it lots on social media as they were doing in the first half.

Always feels to me British managers would rather try and get over the line battered and bruised rather than freshing things up, battling in the trenches if you want to use that analogy.

One manager rolled the dice with 25 minutes left and it worked out o.k for him.

Sure they'll be some disagreement on the playing ratings but interesting stuff aside from that.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
On the subject of the Arses. Their fans are the most pathetic, whining b-stards out there. They forced Wenger out, when he had given them more than they deserved. Today all through the game on tw-tter they were calling for Emery to be sacked. They really are a sad shower of self entitled pr-cks.
they are a horrible club with shyster players and pathetic fans.

Offline Ads

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »

Am glad you said it, I felt dirty complimenting either of them!

Through gritted teeth. But we've been gone 3 years and gone for 10 as anything other than a joke. Things change, Arsenal have got worse, but when was the last time we finished with 70 points and got to a European final? Nothing team? Just nonsense.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »
McGinn said: "That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

See he can spot it.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2019, 08:01:48 PM »
Having calmed down a bit i'm still trying to come to terms with that.

It was a surrender for sure, a weak soft bellied surrender at that. But it didn't surprise me one bit.

Even at 1-2 up, i didn't sense/see belief in the players that we could go on and win it. And at 2-2 there was only one result likely to happen and it did.

But, for all that negatives there were some positives before i went tits up. I'll try to cling onto those.

But rest assured, if we don't learn to kill off, or see out games we're going straight back down for certain. And that would be a disaster for the club.

Sort it out Dean/John/Richard, and the same message goes out to all the players. It's a collective problem and needs a collective solution.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »

It's a good quality premier league imo. No Fulham or Huddersfield types this year although Steve Bruce will give it a right good go at Newcastle.

Believe it or not but we have some good players and score some good goals like the two we scored today.

The naivety in our play and also from our manager at key points this season has really hurt us though and that is one aspect of relegated teams so a big problem we need to improve on and aren't.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
On my way to Euston and totally devastated. We lost this game because Smith did not manage the second half properly. Poor and inadequate decisions with subs and tactics.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
It feels like we've been saying it for far to long but Jack is way to deep, his run for Wesleys goal was fucking brilliant and then shortly after he did it again for Trez's tame shot, Arsenal were shitting themselves at that point but then for whatever reason we retreated and he barely broke into their half again.

Offline Ads

« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2019, 08:09:01 PM »
2 of our 3 away games being Spurs and Arsenal hasn't helped, as that naivety is far more likely to be punished. I try not to think of Palace, as flat as we and the game was, as Kevin Friend will make me have a hissy fit.

We've got a lot to learn, however, I do feel that maybe part of that naivety is a little fear and a lack of belief. McGinn and his comments suggest there's been a blood letting.

Offline stussyboy

« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I don’t disagree that we should have done better against 10 men, and I know at the back it’s hardly vintage Arsenal, but most teams would like their attacking options of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, Ozil etc. We certainly would.

Online ez

« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2019, 08:24:34 PM »
I just can not understand how he watched them tear through us without doing something about it.

That's the thing. I cant believe how 10 players can have so much space to play in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal