collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219834 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1680 on: February 25, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »
If you'd told me just over a week ago that we could lose to Southampton and Spurs, and STILL not be in the bottom 3, I'd have said you were off your rocker. 

I guess the thing we keep missing - as we look closely at the issues with our own team - is that although we've been putting in some rubbish performances (alongside a few good ones), the teams around us are also churning out rubbish on a weekly basis. 

To stay up, we don't need to be great, we don't even need to be 'good' - we've only got to be slightly less rubbish than three of the five teams around us over the next 11 games.  I still think we can do that!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1681 on: February 25, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »
If you'd told me just over a week ago that we could lose to Southampton and Spurs, and STILL not be in the bottom 3, I'd have said you were off your rocker. 

I guess the thing we keep missing - as we look closely at the issues with our own team - is that although we've been putting in some rubbish performances (alongside a few good ones), the teams around us are also churning out rubbish on a weekly basis. 

To stay up, we don't need to be great, we don't even need to be 'good' - we've only got to be slightly less rubbish than three of the five teams around us over the next 11 games.  I still think we can do that!

Quite.

I'd understand some of this if we were in Norwich's, but we're not.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1682 on: February 25, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
Lets just imagine we survive by the skin of our teeth this season - what the hell are we going to do differently which leads to us actually competing next season?

Our team will be a lot better for having one season at this level behind them. A bit like Amavi, Gana, and Veretout, instead of watching say Luis, Nakamba and Freddy kick on at a different club, it would be nice to see them kick on with us.

Also, three teams promoted from the Championship would, you would think, be at the kind of disadvantage we are at now.

We simply have to stay up.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1683 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:55 PM »
We'd probably need to sign two or three £20-40m players and keep what we have.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1684 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
Lets just imagine we survive by the skin of our teeth this season - what the hell are we going to do differently which leads to us actually competing next season?
nothing - we don't really do learning lessons at Aston Villa :D

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1685 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
this - maybe replace Smith with someone who has different ways to win and not lose matches.

Offline KRS

« Reply #1686 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
What would be annoying if we do get relegated is that 3 more teams from the Championship will be promoted that will more than likely struggle next season. I can’t see Baggies, Leeds plus another pulling up any trees in the PL next season and should all be in a relegation battle. With a whole PL season and experience under our belt, new players in the summer and those new teams, it should be a lot easier for us to avoid the relegation battle if we can swerve it this season.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1687 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

I think a few need to be moved on. Jota for starters.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1688 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »
Spam are a shit team for sure. My specific concerns are that they still look more likely to nick a result against big teams than us and that if it comes down to a last day head to head they’ve got more bottle across the team. I hope I’m wrong obviously.
I’d say the opposite is true.

We have run Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal very close this season and arguably should have picked up points from all three of those games. We also did manage to pick up points at Old Trafford. It is against the lesser teams where we have performed poorly.

I’d also be interested to hear who and why you think West Ham have more bottle and not just because of the last two games played by both teams.
Is it Villa running them close, or them 'lowering' themselves as they know that a lesser performance would be adequate. It's certainly possible the close call was down to Villa being good, but not necessarily... 

We have a perfectly adequate system of deciding which team won a game of football, and by what margin, without self-flagellating nonsense like this.
Perhaps we phoned it in against Man City at home because we knew they were a shower of cheating, soon-to-be-relegated arriviste no-marks with an empire built on sand (as well as oil and blood)? Or were they just significantly better than us, as reflected in the result, on the day?

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #1689 on: February 25, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »

I think a few need to be moved on. Jota for starters.

Another summer of turnover no matter what happens. We’ve bought short term for years so it’s going to take a few years before we get a settled squad whatever league we are in.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1690 on: February 26, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
I can envisage that we might produce a few good results, even against some of the top sides.
What I can't see is our putting a string of results together. The current squad can't play Dean Smith's preferred style at this level consistently.

It's going to be close, which may of us fully expected.   

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1691 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:32 PM »
I can envisage that we might produce a few good results, even against some of the top sides.
What I can't see is our putting a string of results together. The current squad can't play Dean Smith's preferred style at this level consistently.

We don't really need that much of a run. We could stay up with runs of 1 win in 3 if we also draw a game in that run. Another 12 points and it's not certain we'd stay up but I'd be pretty confident looking at the runs in likes of Bournemouth have.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1692 on: February 26, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »

We don't really need that much of a run. We could stay up with runs of 1 win in 3 if we also draw a game in that run. Another 12 points and it's not certain we'd stay up but I'd be pretty confident looking at the runs in likes of Bournemouth have.

Exactly. The margins are so fine and it’s so hard to predict given the inconsistent nature of the teams around us (in regard to where they have picked points up).

Managing to give Bournemouth six points - nearly 25% of their total - this season has been really poor though. If we have just even drawn both the game I reckon the points swing would have had people feeling a lot more confident.

Offline exigo

« Reply #1693 on: February 26, 2020, 04:06:28 PM »
These stats from a mate, so I can't vouch for them. But:

Newcastle 1 win in 10
Brighton 1 win in 12
Bournemouth 1 win in 3
Villa 1 win in 6
Watford 1 win in 10
West Ham 1 win in 10
Norwich 1 win in 14

So going on a run isn't exactly necessary. But, the two things that could do for us are the fact that teams down there still have to play each other (us included), and the fact that there are always random results at the end of the season when a lot of teams are on the beach.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1694 on: February 26, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »
Watford have won 4 of the last 10 in the league so i'm going to guess most of them are wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal