collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 11:11:27 PM]

Re: Liverpool v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread. by Drummond
[Today at 10:51:25 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Drummond
[Today at 10:46:36 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Newby
[Today at 10:39:06 PM]

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread by SoccerHQ
[Today at 10:34:34 PM]

Re: Relegation Watch by Ad@m
[Today at 10:33:15 PM]

Re: Liverpool v Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 10:27:44 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Rory Christopher
[Today at 10:27:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 111250 times)

Online themossman

• GM : 22.02.2021
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1695 on: February 25, 2020, 12:48:58 PM »
Spam are a shit team for sure. My specific concerns are that they still look more likely to nick a result against big teams than us and that if it comes down to a last day head to head they’ve got more bottle across the team. I hope I’m wrong obviously.
I’d say the opposite is true.

We have run Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal very close this season and arguably should have picked up points from all three of those games. We also did manage to pick up points at Old Trafford. It is against the lesser teams where we have performed poorly.

I’d also be interested to hear who and why you think West Ham have more bottle and not just because of the last two games played by both teams.

You've made my point for me there. Operative words are 'run close' and 'should have picked up points'. As Risso say, spam have actually picked up points in games against top half teams where they've managed to get ahead.

The second point is subjective I guess. We have showed bottle on occasion (Watford, Burnley, Leicester in the cup) and some players have it in buckets but for me too many players are capable of disappearing in the big 6 pointers against shit teams that fancy it more (Bournemouth, Southampton).

Online Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #1696 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
West Ham are undeniably shit, seeing as they're in the bottom three and we're not, but they have beaten Man U and Chelsea this year, whilst we remain the ONLY team in the division not to have beaten one of the "big" teams.  In fact I think I'm right in saying that all of the teams we've beat in the league have been in the bottom half when we beat them.  Not a great omen for the rest of the season, since all but two of our remaining games are against top half teams.

It's true.

Moyes has never won at Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal or Chelsea, in all his time as a manager. So it's not just us that has bad records to break.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1697 on: February 25, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »
Spam are a shit team for sure. My specific concerns are that they still look more likely to nick a result against big teams than us and that if it comes down to a last day head to head they’ve got more bottle across the team. I hope I’m wrong obviously.

We have run Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal very close this season and arguably should have picked up points from all three of those games. We also did manage to pick up points at Old Trafford. It is against the lesser teams where we have performed poorly.

I’d also be interested to hear who and why you think West Ham have more bottle and not just because of the last two games played by both teams.

You've made my point for me there. Operative words are 'run close' and 'should have picked up points'. As Risso say, spam have actually picked up points in games against top half teams where they've managed to get ahead.

The second point is subjective I guess. We have showed bottle on occasion (Watford, Burnley, Leicester in the cup) and some players have it in buckets but for me too many players are capable of disappearing in the big 6 pointers against shit teams that fancy it more (Bournemouth, Southampton).

The thing is, due to the inconsistency of about 17 teams in the league, you could go round and round in circles picking ‘example games’ to prove a point. West Ham have nicked a couple against the top teams but by virtue of still being below us have also been pretty abject against some bottom half ones.

You could also argue that our performances against some of the ‘better’ teams have merited more points whereas the close fought 1-0 victories that a few teams have nicked (eg. West Ham and Newcastle vs Chelsea), while showing those battling qualities, are less likely to be repeated/result in picking up points against these teams long term.

Also, just to reiterate my point about inconsistency, you could point to the victories over Burnley, Watford and possibly even Norwich at home as us showing fight/bottle/graft in big six pointer games.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1698 on: February 25, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
West Ham are undeniably shit, seeing as they're in the bottom three and we're not, but they have beaten Man U and Chelsea this year, whilst we remain the ONLY team in the division not to have beaten one of the "big" teams.  In fact I think I'm right in saying that all of the teams we've beat in the league have been in the bottom half when we beat them.  Not a great omen for the rest of the season, since all but two of our remaining games are against top half teams.

It's true.

Moyes has never won at Liverpool, ManU, Arsenal or Chelsea, in all his time as a manager. So it's not just us that has bad records to break.

Mcleish of all people won at chelaea and lambert at arsenal. God feels so long ago...

Offline tim

« Reply #1699 on: February 25, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

Is it Villa running them close, or them 'lowering' themselves as they know that a lesser performance would be adequate. It's certainly possible the close call was down to Villa being good, but not necessarily... 

Online Drummond

« Reply #1700 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm not worried. I think our future is secure. I know it's looking dicey for going back down again but if that happens I think we're far better prepared for it than last time.

I'd just rather not have to watch Grealish play for anyone else in English football.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #1701 on: February 25, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »
If you'd told me just over a week ago that we could lose to Southampton and Spurs, and STILL not be in the bottom 3, I'd have said you were off your rocker. 

I guess the thing we keep missing - as we look closely at the issues with our own team - is that although we've been putting in some rubbish performances (alongside a few good ones), the teams around us are also churning out rubbish on a weekly basis. 

To stay up, we don't need to be great, we don't even need to be 'good' - we've only got to be slightly less rubbish than three of the five teams around us over the next 11 games.  I still think we can do that!

Online Drummond

« Reply #1702 on: February 25, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »
If you'd told me just over a week ago that we could lose to Southampton and Spurs, and STILL not be in the bottom 3, I'd have said you were off your rocker. 

I guess the thing we keep missing - as we look closely at the issues with our own team - is that although we've been putting in some rubbish performances (alongside a few good ones), the teams around us are also churning out rubbish on a weekly basis. 

To stay up, we don't need to be great, we don't even need to be 'good' - we've only got to be slightly less rubbish than three of the five teams around us over the next 11 games.  I still think we can do that!

Quite.

I'd understand some of this if we were in Norwich's, but we're not.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1703 on: February 25, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
Lets just imagine we survive by the skin of our teeth this season - what the hell are we going to do differently which leads to us actually competing next season?

Our team will be a lot better for having one season at this level behind them. A bit like Amavi, Gana, and Veretout, instead of watching say Luis, Nakamba and Freddy kick on at a different club, it would be nice to see them kick on with us.

Also, three teams promoted from the Championship would, you would think, be at the kind of disadvantage we are at now.

We simply have to stay up.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 22.02.2020
« Reply #1704 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:55 PM »
We'd probably need to sign two or three £20-40m players and keep what we have.

Offline N'ZMAV

• Twitter
« Reply #1705 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
Lets just imagine we survive by the skin of our teeth this season - what the hell are we going to do differently which leads to us actually competing next season?
nothing - we don't really do learning lessons at Aston Villa :D

Offline N'ZMAV

• Twitter
« Reply #1706 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
this - maybe replace Smith with someone who has different ways to win and not lose matches.

Offline KRS

« Reply #1707 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
What would be annoying if we do get relegated is that 3 more teams from the Championship will be promoted that will more than likely struggle next season. I can’t see Baggies, Leeds plus another pulling up any trees in the PL next season and should all be in a relegation battle. With a whole PL season and experience under our belt, new players in the summer and those new teams, it should be a lot easier for us to avoid the relegation battle if we can swerve it this season.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1708 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

I think a few need to be moved on. Jota for starters.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1709 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »

Is it Villa running them close, or them 'lowering' themselves as they know that a lesser performance would be adequate. It's certainly possible the close call was down to Villa being good, but not necessarily... 

We have a perfectly adequate system of deciding which team won a game of football, and by what margin, without self-flagellating nonsense like this.
Perhaps we phoned it in against Man City at home because we knew they were a shower of cheating, soon-to-be-relegated arriviste no-marks with an empire built on sand (as well as oil and blood)? Or were they just significantly better than us, as reflected in the result, on the day?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal