collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219833 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1140 on: January 12, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »
We currently have a spine of

Nyland
Mings
Drinkwater
El Ghazi

That isn't even top 6 championship to be honest. 2 out of us, Burnley and Bournemouth will get relegated. We are fannying around signing 37 year olds and playing with no Striker. It doesn't take a genius to work out how this is going to end up.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1141 on: January 12, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
Sounds obvious but I honestly think if we get our forward recruiting right in January we’ll be fine. Trouble is all our targets are either getting injured or won’t want to join this current shit show. We’ll be left with the scraps and that’s not going to be good enough.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1142 on: January 12, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
This result will break us. We are going down.

It really shouldn't. West Ham, Southampton and Newcastle all been thrashed this season by Leicester and Man. City and all responded with their best runs of the season.

Would just be another excuse and ways to stop it is always to bring in some fresh faces.

Absolutely. We were also garbage against Watford and then won the next game, with a pretty decent performance as well, against Burnley.

Every team gets injuries, so you definitely can’t solely blame them (and our manager should have done more to help the players today and on some other occasions) but we have been particularly unlucky in who has been hit my them. McGinn, Heaton and Wesley are, for different reasons, all absolutely massive losses to a club in our current situation.

The next three weeks will be huge in terms of our season - both in respect of who we are playing and the players we bring in. Get it right and there is absolutely no reason at all that we can’t stay up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1143 on: January 12, 2020, 09:09:56 PM »
If folks mean Kalvin Phillips I don't think there's any chance he'd have joined in the summer. Leeds didn't want to sell hence the £30m price tag and he's their Jack, local lad playing for his club since he was a kid, and would have been like Jack was for us last season, 1 last push with his club this season

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1144 on: January 12, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »
Cahill should've been picked up, no excuse on that one considering he was a freebie. Been excellent for Palace as I suspected he would be.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1145 on: January 12, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
I'd say its probably 50/50 us staying up, and as someone who had no delusions about the quality of the Bruceball side coming up, I probably would have taken that at the start of the season. The one scrap of comfort after tonight was even though we got handed our arse, there isn't the whiff of decay about the club as there was last time, or the stink of bad eggs coming from the dressing room. Smith needs to develop a siege mentality in the side. stop the defence shipping goals at will, decide his best side/formation  and stick with it. Find some sort of vaguely coherant midfield, buy a striker who everyone else has missed who can score 15 goals between now and May...... Easy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:23:19 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1146 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:14 PM »
Cahill should've been picked up, no excuse on that one considering he was a freebie. Been excellent for Palace as I suspected he would be.

Palace play, and more importantly, defend in a completely different way to us though. I’m not sure Cahill playing in our much more wide open team would would have made a huge amount of difference.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1147 on: January 12, 2020, 09:23:37 PM »
Way too ambitious in the Summer and it may cost us. The signings were based on ideology and not in practicality.

Ideology. That is it. I tried to address this in another thread but that is it.

Sometimes you have to walk before you can run. A first season back of consolidation and steady building would have been what was needed.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1148 on: January 12, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
Summer 2019 -

Aston Villa spend £133m
Sheff Utd spend £42m

How much we've spent is almost as alarming as the thought of giving Dean Smith (or whoever buys the players) more money in the January panic.

As a slight aside, JT is supposedly one of the best defenders ever in Premier Leagues - so how come we defend worse than an U11 team? What exactly is he doing?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1149 on: January 12, 2020, 09:32:09 PM »
I've stopped worrying. The manner of our defeats against Southampton, Watford and today just suggests that we don't have the stomach for a fight, let alone enough talent.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1150 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
Way too ambitious in the Summer and it may cost us. The signings were based on ideology and not in practicality.

Ideology. That is it. I tried to address this in another thread but that is it.

Sometimes you have to walk before you can run. A first season back of consolidation and steady building would have been what was needed.

Was it ideology or desperation? I mean even with a blank cheque book no manager wants to bring in 10 plus players at once.. I'm just looking at our team in the Play-off final and its pretty slim pickings for a premier league side. Take out Tuanzebe and Abraham, you've got Mings, McGinn and Grealish as the only players i'd say was the basis of a premier league 1st team. Even with our high spending its a big ask to find 8 premiership quality players and another 5 squad players capable of doing a job.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1151 on: January 12, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »
Yes, but why were we so ideologically opposed to a couple of loans? Why couldn't we have tried for a premier league standard loan or two? Instead, we went for young players with very little experience - it was, in hindsight, a risk.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1152 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:27 PM »
Yes, but why were we so ideologically opposed to a couple of loans? Why couldn't we have tried for a premier league standard loan or two? Instead, we went for young players with very little experience - it was, in hindsight, a risk.

yeah, fair point..

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1153 on: January 12, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »
Personally I think we will go down, so yes worried. I have gone from from positive to despair, over the season. Agree with everyone who has said that the squad & management lack experience. The experiment should stop now, it hasn’t worked. Get Raffa in & give us a chance

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1154 on: January 12, 2020, 09:47:30 PM »
I think if they were going to punt Smith it’s have happened after Watford with an almost full window for the new manager to work with. It won’t happen now, particularly after a drubbing by Citeh. I think he’ll see it out now for better or for worse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal