collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 222427 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #930 on: December 21, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
I'd hate to think the owners might keep Smith on purely because he's just signed a new contract.  I'd be surprised if they did that.  If / when the time comes that they no longer believe he's the right man he should go then, new contract or not.

They absolutely won’t. Whatever Dean is on it doesn’t even compare to some of the contracts for example Wes Edens has signed in the NBA. These two and even Purslow aren’t mugs. They will be considering all of their options tonight. Firing him new contract or not is absolutely one of them.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #931 on: December 21, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
I'd hate to think the owners might keep Smith on purely because he's just signed a new contract.  I'd be surprised if they did that.  If / when the time comes that they no longer believe he's the right man he should go then, new contract or not.

They absolutely won’t. Whatever Dean is on it doesn’t even compare to some of the contracts for example Wes Edens has signed in the NBA. These two and even Purslow aren’t mugs. They will be considering all of their options tonight. Firing him new contract or not is absolutely one of them.

I'm sure you're right TV but it has to be said they offered the new contract in the first place.  As you say though, if they're as minted as we're led to believe then it shouldn't matter that much.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #932 on: December 21, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »

Didn't Edens fire a friend of his who was the Bucks coach at the time? I don't think they'll hesitate at all - I'm just hoping Deano gets this turned around, somehow, before that point. 

Offline Roysmert

« Reply #933 on: December 21, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
His apparent blindness to Big Fucking Wes, and the limitations therein, may well cost him his position very soon. I can see the chop coming before the week is out.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #934 on: December 21, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
All I know about the legitimacy of Wes Edens is that the basketball team he part owns is fucking brilliant. Great coaching hires and brilliant player recruitment. Randy F Lerner he ain’t. I’m sure he bought Villa not so they piss around the arse end of the PL or go down.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #935 on: December 21, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
I hope they act quickly before January.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #936 on: December 21, 2019, 09:52:22 PM »
I’ve been worried since Crystal Palace hence the thread but for the first time I now think it’s probable and not possible that we’ll get relegated. Something needs to change and that’s something that has not looked remotely like changing so far, namely the managers formation and personnel.

DS has 2 games against Norwich and Watford to save his job, 6 points required, 4 at the very least or he’ll be potted. Whatever happens we need to reinforce in January.

This is where we’ll really find out about the owners.

Offline cumbriavilla

« Reply #937 on: December 21, 2019, 10:47:36 PM »
With today's loss, I'm thinking that the next two games are now very much 'must win' - anything less and it's the end of the road for Dean.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #938 on: December 21, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
Losing the next two games would absolutely screw us though, we’ll be right in it. I’m not convinced that we’re suddenly going to bring in some quality players during January either.

Offline KRS

« Reply #939 on: December 21, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
I’m officially worried. Completely inept on and off the pitch today. We’re in big relegation trouble unless something changes in January...whether that be new signings or a change in management.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #940 on: December 21, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »
In danger of falling behind those above us too.  Need two wins just to lift us a couple of places.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #941 on: December 21, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »

They won't keep him because he's signed a new contract. And they won't keep him because it's expensive to sack him. They'll keep him because 22 days ago they thought he was part of the long term future of the club.

This wasn't a Rodgers at Leicester new contract  No one was going to steal Smith from us. So the only reason to give him a new contract was because they're genuinely committed to him.

They're not going to turn around 3 weeks later and go, "actually, we fucked that up massively, he's gone".

It's looking grim, but I don't think a new manager is part of the short term solution.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #942 on: December 21, 2019, 11:39:12 PM »
Yes, I'm worried. I reached the tipping point today.

The nature of the recent losses and the sheer number of games we have lost over the season are appalling. Players that were excellent earlier in the season are under-performing and some that have never performed have somehow managed to get worse.

Sorry Dean, you have a very short time to turn this around and as nice as you are, Villa are bigger than one man and there is little room for sentiment.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #943 on: December 21, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »
This new contract thing is a red herring. As it at the time of his 1 year anniversary I’m more inclined to think it was part of a pre existing agreement 1 year in. They’ll also be KPI’s and attached clauses should we be on the bottom 3 etc. the new contract won’t save him. The long term vision might but that’ll be an enormous gamble.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #944 on: December 22, 2019, 12:37:55 AM »
I officially moved to the worried camp today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal