collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:36:12 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:24:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 222131 times)

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #945 on: December 22, 2019, 12:51:26 AM »
Unless there is significant changes on the management and playe front this week we'll be going down IMO. As to who we get in I don't know. But Purslow needs to review the recruitment strategy as we have most recruited overpriced shit.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #946 on: December 22, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »
Worried

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #947 on: December 22, 2019, 01:41:54 AM »
Sad. And worried.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #948 on: December 22, 2019, 01:43:54 AM »
I'd hate to think the owners might keep Smith on purely because he's just signed a new contract.  I'd be surprised if they did that.  If / when the time comes that they no longer believe he's the right man he should go then, new contract or not.

They won't keep him because he's signed a new contract. And they won't keep him because it's expensive to sack him. They'll keep him because 22 days ago they thought he was part of the long term future of the club.

This wasn't a Rodgers at Leicester new contract  No one was going to steal Smith from us. So the only reason to give him a new contract was because they're genuinely committed to him.

They're not going to turn around 3 weeks later and go, "actually, we fucked that up massively, he's gone".

It's looking grim, but I don't think a new manager is part of the short term solution.
I would love to know what is then.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #949 on: December 22, 2019, 02:10:19 AM »

There is nothing surprising about this result if you have been paying attention to the form of this team and the managers lack of attention to the obvious failing of individuals and the system he has deployed.

This was a devastating result and performance and one we may not recover from.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #950 on: December 22, 2019, 02:17:28 AM »
We’ve not recovered since Liverpool truth be told.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #951 on: December 22, 2019, 06:46:32 AM »
I love Deano and really want him to turn thus around but can’t help but sense his stubbornness to try anything different will be what kills him

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #952 on: December 22, 2019, 07:19:14 AM »
At the moment we are playing as badly as anyone in the league. There certainly aren't 3 teams worse than us. We look like a relegation team. With Ming's and Mcginn out with injury, it's hard to see any short term fix.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #953 on: December 22, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »
Yes, I'm worried. I reached the tipping point today.

The nature of the recent losses and the sheer number of games we have lost over the season are appalling. Players that were excellent earlier in the season are under-performing and some that have never performed have somehow managed to get worse.

Sorry Dean, you have a very short time to turn this around and as nice as you are, Villa are bigger than one man and there is little room for sentiment.

A big thing in any walk of life is confidence, especially in sport. The players look scared apart from Jack. Confidence is shot to pieces and I'm not sure DS can turn this round. He should've signed Maupay and Benrahma not Wesley and Trezeguet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:20:11 AM by Villafirst »

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #954 on: December 22, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Yes, I'm worried. I reached the tipping point today.

The nature of the recent losses and the sheer number of games we have lost over the season are appalling. Players that were excellent earlier in the season are under-performing and some that have never performed have somehow managed to get worse.

Sorry Dean, you have a very short time to turn this around and as nice as you are, Villa are bigger than one man and there is little room for sentiment.

A big thing in any walk of life is confidence, especially in sport. The players look scared apart from Jack. Confidence is shot to pieces and I'm not sure DS can turn this round. He should've signed Maupay and Benrahma not Wesley and Trezeguet.

That's the thing. We were so desperate for a result, but if we'd been unlucky, robbed by the ref or VAR et , I could just about accept that.

The fact we just caved in, collapsed, and showed no spine at all is THE concern now. Who's to say Norwich won't do exactly the same to us on Boxing Day.

Whoever is picked better start that game on the front foot, or it will be a long excruciating game.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #955 on: December 22, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
Officially worried now. I have got through the last month with tough teams but we need 9 from 9 over Christmas. I checked the score at 3.40 yesterday and swore.

Ah well this is how it always is with the Villa! We really need the next six points otherwise championship here we come. I was looking for a game to go to in the second half of the season and realised they were almost all grade A games, that fills me with dread!

Online ez

« Reply #956 on: December 22, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
I'd hate to think the owners might keep Smith on purely because he's just signed a new contract.  I'd be surprised if they did that.  If / when the time comes that they no longer believe he's the right man he should go then, new contract or not.

They won't keep him because he's signed a new contract. And they won't keep him because it's expensive to sack him. They'll keep him because 22 days ago they thought he was part of the long term future of the club.

This wasn't a Rodgers at Leicester new contract  No one was going to steal Smith from us. So the only reason to give him a new contract was because they're genuinely committed to him.

They're not going to turn around 3 weeks later and go, "actually, we fucked that up massively, he's gone".

It's looking grim, but I don't think a new manager is part of the short term solution.

I cant believe the owners are so committed to Smith that they will take relegation to honour this new contract.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #957 on: December 22, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
Neither can I.  They haven't got to be as rich and successful as they are by being that stupid.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #958 on: December 22, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Far too hasty handing DS a 4 year contract. Perhaps at the end of the season if we stayed up. I think they'll be writing a hefty compensation cheque soon....

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #959 on: December 22, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »

I cant believe the owners are so committed to Smith that they will take relegation to honour this new contract.

Honestly, try reading my post again if that's what you think I said.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal