collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219816 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #615 on: November 28, 2019, 12:01:29 AM »
1 point per game until we can get a forward in. If we get a goalscorer in January (or Wes becomes on) we will stay up comfortably (baring injuries). If not then we will be right in the mix.

6th highest scorers in the league and you think more goals are needed?

A quality goal scorer would be nice, but most teams around the world are after one of them.  I would settle for someone who can chip in with goals, but more importantly can hold the ball up and bring others into play. 

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
I'm starting to worry a bit now - the points are beginning to look harder to pick up - giving Smith a contract extension at this stage of the season was a strange one - I'm finding it hard to comprehend that we are currently looking to play catch  up with the likes of Brighton, (should read Palace) Burnley and Bournemouth - I guess that demonstrates just how low we fell. Trying to find a decent available striker in January may prove difficult - Wesley  isn't exactly setting the place on fire is he? At the moment he looks a poor signing .......I was becoming confident of us staying up, now I'm having doubts - those doubts centre around Smith's apparent  inability to make timely substitutions or changes of set up to counter act the opposition and the lack of a prolific striker .....there is a long way to go and it may just go to the wire
Not sure my nerves will take it ..........still we've got the right manager in place for the Championship :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:50:25 AM by villa `cross the mersey »

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Brighton are below us at the moment. They've lost their last four games and they'll have to beat Arsenal away by three or four goals tonight in order to go above us (I hope I've counted correctly; I know the bean-counters are watching).

Offline Reuben

« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:46 AM »
After these games (Man U - Chelsea - Leicester) I expected us to be in the bottom 3.  It seems unlikely that will happen now.  We are also beating the teams in or expected to be in the bottom 8.  We responded to three straight defeats by beating an in-form Newcastle.  I think there is enough there, along with hopefully some Jan reinforcements to mean we can finish 15-16th. 
I don't have the same vibe from the team that we had in the last couple of years in the Prem.  There is naivety but a willingness to improve and a togetherness which gives me hope. 
I may be worried if we are in the bottom 3 in mid January.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
Brighton are below us at the moment. They've lost their last four games and they'll have to beat Arsenal away by three or four goals tonight in order to go above us (I hope I've counted correctly; I know the bean-counters are watching).
I realised that as I posted - BE
I should have typed Palace :)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #620 on: December 05, 2019, 08:58:05 AM »
Also Brighton only need a point to go above us

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #621 on: December 05, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
8 or 10 points from Sheff U, Saints, Norwich and Watford puts us on 23 or 25 after 20 games and well on course for survival.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #622 on: December 05, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
I think our destiny this season is going to hinge on what we do in the transfer window and, to a lesser extent, how quickly we do it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #623 on: December 05, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
Also Brighton only need a point to go above us

And we know what a bunch of bottling Villa-shafting ****** Arsenal are.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #624 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »
Get a striker in Jan and we'll be fine - as it has always been it's about how we do against the bottom clubs. We'll fluke (play brilliantly) against the odd top 10 team and win like they do. But Arsenal and Spurs are annoying the bejeesus out of me for being so c**p at pivotal times.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #625 on: December 05, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
I said a couple of weeks ago that if Smith stays we will go down, so I was disappointed with the new contract. If we go down, Grealish will leave, and we saw last season that Smith was clueless without him before he came back against Derby. He wasn’t willing to try anything different in that dreadful run last season, and he isn’t willing to try anything different now, like last night when it was clear to everybody 4-3-3 wasn’t working. The playing out from the back as well for example is fine, but it has cost us a few times and nearly cost us in the play off semi final second leg last season. People rightly blame Mings for Man United’s first goal on Sunday, but surely Smith should tell them to consider who they are playing and to judge the situation accordingly. You can probably get away with it against Milwall at home, but Man United away requires a different approach. Mings was still messing around on the edge of his own box last night so when people say Smith will learn, he evidently never does. He sets up the same regardless of who we are playing, and it just won’t, and doesn’t work.

In my opinion he is a mid championship level manager and wouldn’t get us back up if we go down. People will say he got us up last season, but that was much more to do with Grealish than Smith. I have had serious, serious doubts about Smith as a manager since January and promotion didn’t change that
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:29:18 AM by Ketzster »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #626 on: December 05, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »

Almost half of our fixtures so far have come against last seasons top seven, and all but one of them away from home. These fixtures have, somewhat understandable, made up the majority of our defeats.

It was disappointing that we gave up points in some ‘easier’ games at the start of the season, but I still think the team have shown enough improvement and quality since then that will we be fine.

Offline danno

« Reply #627 on: December 05, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
Southampton at home in a few weeks is looking a bigger game than it usually would be. Adams will probably break his goal drought then not score again all season.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #628 on: December 05, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »

Almost half of our fixtures so far have come against last seasons top seven, and all but one of them away from home. These fixtures have, somewhat understandable, made up the majority of our defeats.

It was disappointing that we gave up points in some ‘easier’ games at the start of the season, but I still think the team have shown enough improvement and quality since then that will we be fine.

The problem is, because other teams around us are picking up points against the bigger teams, like Norwich and Newcastle against Man City for example, just winning our easier games isn’t going to work. We are pretty much the only team not to pick up any points against the higher sides and we aren’t going to win every game against those around us

Offline sonyhill

« Reply #629 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »
The only thing that really concerns me is that whilst we are scoring goals from midfield, we don't have that 15 goal a season striker that the likes of Southampton have in Ings.  If we can pick up a decent striker and another other winger in January I think we'll be ok.  We're playing decent football but just lack some quality in the final third in some of the tougher games.  Need to cut out Mings' casual mistakes as well!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal