collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219841 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #600 on: November 13, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
2 or 3 is really all we need. Many of our problems have, I think, stemmed from the squad still integrating and getting to know each other.  The last thing we need to do is start that process all over again.

I agree. I also think that as time goes on, those players who people think maybe aren't ready will keep playing and will be good enough. It takes a bit of time to build that knowledge and way of playing together.

I'd like another striker and an out-and-out pacy winger. Other than that we're ok for now.

This was a point I tried to make in the summer, making loads of new signings is really exciting and lets fans get a bit carried away with thinking about how good we could be if everyone settles and performs to the level we want but it doesn't happen all that often. More likely you get a settling in period where you see good and bad from the players and you see some issues where players aren't quite used to playing together. It was my biggest problems with Bruce, he'd sign 6-7 players every summer and 3-4 every January and we'd be left looking like a new team after every window. The only time it didn't happen was when we signed Grabban and Tuanzebe and that led to us getting into the playoffs.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #601 on: November 14, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Not worried at all at the moment.

Think Southampton and Norwich look very weak defensively, at least one of them is going down and probably both.  I think Newcastle and Crystal Palace will both be in for a bit of a struggle too.  Honestly, I think if we pick up a few points before Christmas, we'll be well out of it come the end of the season.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #602 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:37 PM »
I must admit I 'm starting to get worried.  We're nearly a third of the way through the season and averaging less than a point a game. Yes, we've been robbed by poor officiating, and if Jack had played against Liverpool I think we'd have hung on for at least a point. We couldn't clear our lines for the last 20 minutes when we were hitting the ball long and it was coming straight back. With Jack in the side we'd have had someone who could carry the ball and slow things down or make things happen. Against Wolves we were by and large simply shocking, and we are where we are, and we don't really know when Jack will be back.

I think Norwich and Southampton are in deep trouble, but I think Watford will pull away especially now that they've got Deeney fit again.  After Newcastle we've got a tough run of 4 games, and although we've got a relatively 'easy' run over Christmas, if a gap opens up it may be psychologically difficult to close that and we could be playing catch-up all season. Of course if we pick someone up in January who'd have the sort immediate impact Dion Dublin or Darren Bent had we'd be fine, but I don't know who that player might be. I have faith in the owners to make funds available to protect their investment, but I'm now officially worried.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #603 on: November 14, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
The problem is confidence

Win a couple like we did recently and we cannot wait for the next games, even though it was City and 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' we all was up for the games. Lose 3 on the bounce , as we have done, and all of a sudden every game in the upcoming fixtures looks daunting.

Every team puts in a few below par games when it just seems we are not at the races - lets hope the break snaps us out of it and we can get some of the critical players not only fit but firing again

Not prepared to give up just yet or even get too worried

Offline Damo70

« Reply #604 on: November 27, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
The bookies currently have Norwich as the relegation favourites with Watford and Southampton making up the bottom three. They have Newcastle, Villa and West Ham completing the bottom six. There is a it of a jump in the odds then to Brighton, Bournemouth and Palace. Everton come next. At the moment they rate Sheffield United and Burnley's chances of staying up more than Everton's.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #605 on: November 27, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »
From hearing Everton supporters on the radio of late, there's plenty of concern amongst them. They can't see where a turnaround is going to come from. That was a bad result at the weekend, maybe there's something in those worries.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #606 on: November 27, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
Not any more. Think we will lose a lot of games but win enough to stay up comfortably. Can't see us drawing many.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #607 on: November 27, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
Get past Christmas above the bottom 3, which we will, we’ll be safe and sound mid table by March.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #608 on: November 27, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
1 point per game until we can get a forward in. If we get a goalscorer in January (or Wes becomes on) we will stay up comfortably (baring injuries). If not then we will be right in the mix.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #609 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
1 point per game until we can get a forward in. If we get a goalscorer in January (or Wes becomes on) we will stay up comfortably (baring injuries). If not then we will be right in the mix.

6th highest scorers in the league and you think more goals are needed?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #610 on: November 27, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
It would be nice.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #611 on: November 27, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »

6th highest scorers in the league and you think more goals are needed?

Agree with this sentiment, even watching Wesley Monday his hold up play and lay offs to others count. It was noticeable that the fans in the Holte were behind him when he missed/ had his effort saved for the potential third goal. I think keeping it tighter at the back will bring more reward as let’s face it we’ve dropped more points from leading positions than most if not all teams in this division. That’s not me being critical of the defence either as I think we have several great combinations and plenty waiting in reserve it might just be that they are all finding their feet still as a relatively new squad ?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #612 on: November 27, 2019, 11:16:18 PM »
From hearing Everton supporters on the radio of late, there's plenty of concern amongst them. They can't see where a turnaround is going to come from. That was a bad result at the weekend, maybe there's something in those worries.

Everton have a horrible fixture list coming up:

Leicester away
Liverpool away
Chelsea home
Man. United away
Arsenal home

They also play Man. City away on Jan 1st!

Probably why they haven't sacked Silva yet as they won't be getting a new manager bounce from those matches.

West Ham also have a tough run so I'd fancy us to be above both come the new year which you wouldn't have thought in August.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #613 on: November 27, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »
A lot less worried after Monday result..
Still concerned about striker options, Smiths game management and our over reliance on Jack.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #614 on: November 27, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »

Everton have a horrible fixture list coming up:

Leicester away
Liverpool away
Chelsea home
Man. United away
Arsenal home

They also play Man. City away on Jan 1st!

Probably why they haven't sacked Silva yet as they won't be getting a new manager bounce from those matches.

West Ham also have a tough run so I'd fancy us to be above both come the new year which you wouldn't have thought in August.

Arsenal doesn't count as a "horrible" game for anyone except us. Those bottling twats are determined to relegate us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal