collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219801 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »
Huddersfield lost three of their first four games last season, and went down.

Yeah, but they're shit.
Palace lost first 7 on the trot 2 years ago and stayed up. Not worried yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
We were at least as good as Bournemouth but suffered from two semi fluke goals and were very unlucky against Palace. Like others, I worry about the striker options but as long as the team spirit holds, we will be fine once we get a few wins in.
It's hard to judge whether we were as good as Bournemouth.  We gifted them a 2 goad start and they played the rest of the game accordingly.  They didn't do much because they didn't have to.  Yes they were lucky, but they beat us at a canter.
As for Palace, the decision was a disgrace but they were FAR better than us on the day.
I am still hopeful we will be ok, but I don't take much comnfort from those two games.

Bournemouth was a car crash first 15 minutes but not how you say they were far better than us when applying same to Palace.

Against Bournemouth we had 21 (!) shots, 7 on target and 10 corners. Palace had 22 shots with 5 on target and 13 corners (although at least half of them came after we went down to 10 men).

If v Bournemouth we'd had a card happy ref like Friend in charge then Phillip Billing surely would've got a red so that would've improved the stats aswell.

So far I'd say we won a tight game v Everton (1 nil up to 95th minute) and lost three tight ones, two by a single goal and Spurs was 1-1 up to 86th minute. Maybe a bit too simplistic but we are in games up to the very end.

We certainly have the keeper and CB combination to stay up as we're difficult to break down but we also lack lots in the final third, people would really be optimstic to think we have a front three that is certain to fire us to safety.

Offline mike

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
We were at least as good as Bournemouth but suffered from two semi fluke goals and were very unlucky against Palace. Like others, I worry about the striker options but as long as the team spirit holds, we will be fine once we get a few wins in.
It's hard to judge whether we were as good as Bournemouth.  We gifted them a 2 goad start and they played the rest of the game accordingly.  They didn't do much because they didn't have to.  Yes they were lucky, but they beat us at a canter.
As for Palace, the decision was a disgrace but they were FAR better than us on the day.
I am still hopeful we will be ok, but I don't take much comnfort from those two games.

Bournemouth was a car crash first 15 minutes but not how you say they were far better than us when applying same to Palace.

Against Bournemouth we had 21 (!) shots, 7 on target and 10 corners. Palace had 22 shots with 5 on target and 13 corners (although at least half of them came after we went down to 10 men).

If v Bournemouth we'd had a card happy ref like Friend in charge then Phillip Billing surely would've got a red so that would've improved the stats aswell.

So far I'd say we won a tight game v Everton (1 nil up to 95th minute) and lost three tight ones, two by a single goal and Spurs was 1-1 up to 86th minute. Maybe a bit too simplistic but we are in games up to the very end.

We certainly have the keeper and CB combination to stay up as we're difficult to break down but we also lack lots in the final third, people would really be optimstic to think we have a front three that is certain to fire us to safety.

I didn’t see the Palace game but I think Bournemouth were able to play at a canter because our keeper had a head rush inside a minute and 10 minutes later the combo of a mistake and a huge deflection pretty much finished the game. Once we steadied ourselves, I thought we played really well. But for a shocking ref, we’d have most likely got a point even after the dreadful start. If not for both, I think we’d have won.

Offline wince

« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »
Well wolves have yet to win (have drawn 3 times) so on points nobody in Mordor is saying they will go down. Just need to grind this season out and actually wake up in games and play without fear.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »

Yeah, but they're shit.
Newcastle had 6 points after 11 games.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
Could have easily got  a point against BM and even thou we were poor v Palace we should have got a point . so should be on 5 with just one defeat V spurzzzzz

so not worried but would like at least one  win in the next 2 games

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
I’m not too worried about our ability and I believe we’ll be fine. I am more worried about the decisions in general in football by refs and VAR. I’ve not seen MOTD for quite some time due so have not seen much football other than our own. The standard so far is shocking, with this and the new handball rule it’s quite alarmingly awful. I suppose we’re all having to put up with it, I just thought the standard would improve now.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »
in fact ask me again after Burley Norwich and Brighton

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
Not worried, the aim for this season is just to survive and then build for next season. It's going to be a long season and will always take getting used to after becoming accustomed to regular wins in the Championship. All the other promoted sides have started quite strongly as well which has added to the pressure on us. Fancy us to hit a run of form soon though.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
Spurs - defended well but we were outplayed for most of the match,
 all this 'we will give it a go win lose or draw' well we lost but even though we scored first i never felt we gave it a go at any time which was the most disappointing thing for me, people have said what did you expect against spurs, well i expected us to have a go like what we were told we would under Smith

might have held on for a point, but didnt

Bournmouth - better performance, made mistakes which cost but we were the better team and felt that all was well when competing against teams at this level

deserved a point but didn't get one

Everton - good performance against a good side, not all our own way but overcame and won, felt very confident we could go on from this and improve

deserved to win and did

Crystal Palace - back to square one, a sending off and a awful ref decision giving us excuses for what was a piss poor performance,

might have come away with a point but didn't

still confident we will stay up if we believe in ourselves and play attacking football to win and not get over cautious
we have seen enough in spells to think we can take points from teams in this league to stay in it

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:03:15 PM by john e »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »

Yeah, but they're shit.
But didn't they change managers after 6 matches by getting rid of De Boer and bringing in Hodgson though?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »

Worried? Yes
Is it too early to panic? Yes
Is it too early to express concerns? No

We don't look at all like a team at the minute to my eyes.

Mings and Engels look decent, as does Heaton, we do however still keep conceding goals

The full backs don't fill me with confidence. One minute Gilbert looks amazing the next very ropey. Taylor is Taylor, pretty solid defensively but offers absolutely zero over the halfway line.

The midfield three hasn't looked 'on it' for any game yet. We're not getting games by the scruff of the neck and dominating the middle of the park. Something isn't right in there. There appears to be very little cohesion between them and a big lack of forward momentum. Too much side to side stuff that doesn't hurt the opposition one bit.

The wingers have been incredibly lightweight to the point you struggle to remember any decent crosses. I've always felt Anwar was, at best an impact player. But i expected a LOT more of Trez, he's not looked up to it at all apart from a few glimpses against Spurs where he should've scored. Jota isn't a wide player to my mind, always looks better coming inside which he does all the time meaning we have a huge hole where he should be. I'd play him in the hole ahead of a midfield four.

Wes, looks isolated and not the first choice striker we need to get the goals to stay up at the moment. The raw talent may be there, but it's not showing enough yet. We need to work on whatever his strengths are and play to them. And he needs to up his awareness of players around him as he's not seeing the passing opportunities he should be. Davis is Davis, looks good at everything but the bit that really matters for a striker.

And I don't think this formation were refusing to tinker with is working at this level at all.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
If Dean gets us more on the front foot we’ll be ok. I don’t think we’re well suited to our style at the moment.

Offline levico

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
Yes.
I don't think our squad is good enough or deep enough, we don't have enough possession and we don't create enough chances.
Our new signings are a mixed bag: Been impressed with Heaton, Engels and Guilbert, but Trezeguit and Wesley are simply not good enough at this level, Jota a bit player at best, El Ghazi poor.
Even after the euphoria of the Everton win I was'nt convinced and I think Smith's tactics of getting the ball to stick up top with players joining from midfield is flawed, we have to be able to change tactics for different situations, and I'm surprised I haven't seen enough of that from Smith.
We all, me included, want him so much to succeed, but I don't think our owners will want us to get too stranded near the foot before they start getting twitchy, hope it does'nt come to that but the West Ham game is becoming huge now before a trip to Arsenal, where we won't have much possession again.

Totally agree. In a way I’m comforted by the fact that our owners will act before things get too serious. Be sad to see a Deano go but the future of the club comes first.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
I think the main lessons from the first 4 games are:
- there are no easy games: B'mouth and CP have proved that point
- we need to toughen up a little: I'd like to see Marvelous and Luiz as two holding MF
- we need to look after the ball a whole lot better than we currently do
- Wes will get better; he has talent but needs the midfield a little furtther up the field, in support
- I'm not sure Jota or Trez are regular starters: both have a role to play, though.

I don't believe this is the time to panic, but  - clearly - we need to start accumulating more points.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal