collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Saunders  (Read 15841 times)

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Dean Saunders
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2019, 12:38:03 AM »
Make your own judgment.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/moment-ex-liverpool-player-dean-16836559.amp

So his story changed from 1 pint to the policeman to 2 pints in court. 2 pints of beer is probably just about at the cusp so why no breath test or blood test. I thought the police could do the latter if they suspect under the influence without consent?

The police can't force someone to take a breath test. Nor can they take blood without consent.

That's why there's an offence of 'failing to provide' for those that don't co-operate, like our Dean.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2019, 12:49:48 AM »
Drink-driving is less forgivable, though I reckon probably 80% of the drivers on here have done it. Hope he learns from this and glad that nobody was hurt.

80% of drivers on here have driven in such a state that we have almost caused accidents, slurred speech and can barely stand up? Quite a bold statement.

I raised an eyebrow at this too.
How old are you CD?
My Dad’s generation yes, his footy team coach driver back in the day used to see the players pint for pint.
My generation no way, I’m 45, I still remember some amazing educative drama we had at school. I’ve always been aware that a drop of alcohol slows my reactions.
I truly hope our parish isn’t that foolish/selfish/dangerous.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2019, 01:19:21 AM »
Drink-driving is less forgivable, though I reckon probably 80% of the drivers on here have done it. Hope he learns from this and glad that nobody was hurt.

80% of drivers on here have driven in such a state that we have almost caused accidents, slurred speech and can barely stand up? Quite a bold statement.

It would have been a bold statement, but I didn't make it.

I said people had drunk-drive. As a rough guide of what is permissable, that means driving withing 2.5 hours of having a pint or within 5 hours of having two. It doesn't mean you have to be in a state where you can "barely stand up".

I reckon loads of people have done that, especially as the average age on this site is probably over forty. Drink-driving awareness has got much better in recent years and that's a good thing.

Oh, and I'm not trying to exonerate Saunders here in any way, in case anyone thinks that. He should have known better and deserves his sentence.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »
Make your own judgment.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/moment-ex-liverpool-player-dean-16836559.amp

So his story changed from 1 pint to the policeman to 2 pints in court. 2 pints of beer is probably just about at the cusp so why no breath test or blood test. I thought the police could do the latter if they suspect under the influence without consent?

The police can't force someone to take a breath test. Nor can they take blood without consent.

That's why there's an offence of 'failing to provide' for those that don't co-operate, like our Dean.

Apparently they wanted a urine sample too but he said “I took Wolves to division 3, don’t take the piss!”

Offline mike

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »

It would have been a bold statement, but I didn't make it.

I said people had drunk-drive. As a rough guide of what is permissable, that means driving withing 2.5 hours of having a pint or within 5 hours of having two. It doesn't mean you have to be in a state where you can "barely stand up".

I reckon loads of people have done that, especially as the average age on this site is probably over forty. Drink-driving awareness has got much better in recent years and that's a good thing.

Oh, and I'm not trying to exonerate Saunders here in any way, in case anyone thinks that. He should have known better and deserves his sentence.

In saying the following, one pint can make you unfit to drive. The breath, blood and urine tests measure the alcohol in your system, not how it affects you. Most countries have set the level lower than we have. One pint is unlikely to put an average sized man over the limit. There’s a chance residual alcohol in your mouth could affect a roadside reading but they and especially the proper machine at the station measure air from inside your lungs, they disregard what is in your mouth. If you were just over the limit at the station, you would be offered the more accurate blood or urine test. In short, most people failing breath tests have drunk a lot and I would be astonished if 80% of people on here had done that. Most people who refuse a test are absolutely pissed and refuse because they know they will fail at a level which will attract a higher punishment than refusing.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
A surprise in the US is the attitude to drinking and driving, it’s normal.
You go out to dinner with people and they drive home having drunk easily over the UK limit.
The difficulty is when they offer to drive you home.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »
Interesting. I've been watching the US version of The Office and noticed that characters regularly seem to just get in their cars after nights out. Wasn't sure if it was reflective of real life or just a plot device to avoid lots of tedious waiting for a taxi scenes.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »
Interesting. I've been watching the US version of The Office and noticed that characters regularly seem to just get in their cars after nights out. Wasn't sure if it was reflective of real life or just a plot device to avoid lots of tedious waiting for a taxi scenes.
It’s reflective and people are blaze about it.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »
It struck me in Canada that all the bars were drive-up places, guess similar in parts of the US, so that doesn’t surprise me.

As far as the above goes I don't think it’s that controversial to say drink driving is not strictly a black and white issue. On one level driving with any alcohol in your system has the potential to impair you, and I wouldn’t do it.  But there’s a difference between Dean Saunders being clearly pissed as a fart at the wheel, and mendaciously refusing a sample because he knows he’s fucked, and (say) someone getting nabbed the morning after a Xmas do when they don’t feel impaired and aren’t sure either way if they are technically over the limit. Not excusing it but I think it’s different morally if not legally.

In conclusion, Saunders is a tit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
You go out to dinner with people and they drive home having drunk easily over the UK limit.

The police aren't allowed to breathalyse you over there are they?

Offline Diablo

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm going to make up a funny story about Dean Saunders being drunk and tell it to everybody.
I'm looking forward to hearing/reading this.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
Video footage of the police stopping him and at the police station. Doesn’t do him any favours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-49522290

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »

The police aren't allowed to breathalyse you over there are they?
I think it varies across states but most places it’s a sobriety test, stand on one leg and say the alphabet backwards.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Has he lost his job at talksport ?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »
Has he lost his job at talksport ?

Doubt it Brazil didn't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal