collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player Racist Abuse  (Read 5873 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Player Racist Abuse
« on: August 20, 2019, 11:50:43 AM »
Just thinking about the racist abuse of Abraham, Meite and Pogba in the last few days I am not sure as to what is the best course of action? Whilst the Kickitout have demanded "immediate and the strongest possible action" I happen to think that these cowards thrive on publicity. I bet all the scum are interested in after posting is to see the media et al talk about their tweets. I think the best course would be to totally ignore them and therefore deny them the publicity they desire.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Player Racist Abuse
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
Put your head in the sand and it might go away? My personal opinion is to out them publicly so the people they work for are all aware of the things their employees are doing, and / or the schools are as most of them are kids, and then prosecute the ones that can be.

All reports indicate racism in this country is on the rise so we need to do what we can to stop it. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
We can't ignore, it has to be addressed.  I can't believe it's happening in this day and age and I really hope the police put some real effort into tracking down and prosecuting a few of these scumbags.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
I reported racist (and sexist) abuse of Alex Scott on Facebook the other day, by some ‘lad’ (incel type). Got a boiler plate response telling me it was in line with their guidelines, no action to be taken, with helpful guidance on how to block people. Facebook and Twitter are 100% part of the problem.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
Depressing.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »
I think eradicating this kind of thing is a long-term, societal change.

All we can do, is continue to:

- Name and shame people who engage in racist abuse, making it clear that this behaviour is unacceptable
- Ban them from football, using excessively harsh punishments
- Speak to anyone you know with these kinds of views, try and understand where that comes from, and calmly try to discourage them
- Continuing to profile minority footballers in the media, sharing their stories

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
I've reported various types of discrimination towards all backgrounds and from all backgrounds and have been mett with the same lazy response, like above

Unfortunately people think they can do/say as they like behind a screen.  I posted an opinion on a football page and was told to  "f*** off back to Iceland" lovely

One thing I do like is how inclusive villa are as a club, I love Aston and the interesting diversity of the area with VP at the heart of it. I've never heard any racism in the stadium and everyone is made to feel welcome.

There is only so much the clubs can do and these idiots might not even support the club of the players they are abusing, it's far too easy to set up a 'fake' account.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »
As Nev and a few others touched on in the Tammy thread when you've got disgusting racist rhetoric coming from the likes of our current PM, (Trump), Farage and other parts of the media (Daily Mail, The Sun, katie hopkins etc) it legitimises (endorses) and actively encourages it.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »
Give anyone the anonymity of shooting from afar and the cowards will take it. Social media is the oxygen for these scum.

I do not use any of it so a little uneducated in the workings of it all but surely the pieces of shit that abused Tammy can be recognised by the authorities?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
I reported racist (and sexist) abuse of Alex Scott on Facebook the other day, by some ‘lad’ (incel type). Got a boiler plate response telling me it was in line with their guidelines, no action to be taken, with helpful guidance on how to block people. Facebook and Twitter are 100% part of the problem.

Twitter are useless. I got a 12 hour ban for calling someone a useless wench (only in response to her calling someone a heartless wench). Them ignoring racsim does not surprise me in the slightest.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »
Following on from last weeks abuse of Tammy one can only surmise that the bigots have indeed been emboldened. More than once on this site I have raised the point that opinion previously thought beyond the pale has been legitimised in our society and redressed as an "alternative point of view" rolling back years of progress in the way we talk to each other, how we treat each other and how we look ourselves and others. The last point is crucial, our personal responsibility for how we speak and act and how it affects others. The dreaded term "Political Correctness" has become an anathema for so many ills of society when the original intention was to make our lives and society more respectful and more polite. The kick back has resulted in transference of responsibility elsewhere "it's your fault if your offended", a misguided defence of free speech, one that never mentions consequences, appalling political discourse from all sides and ultimately an individual as risible as Boris Johnson leading our country.

Of course responsibility goes beyond the individual and encompasses those that, however unwittingly, provide a platform for abhorrent bigotry and abuse. Social media, for me at least, is broadcasting and if you broadcast in this country there are very strict rules on what you can and cannot say, while these rules are difficult to enforce they should form a basis for the likes of Twitter and Facebook.

Phil Neville has suggested that the football community boycott social media, something I don't think he has really thought through given the huge reliance on this form of communication from Sunday League to Premier League but something has to be done.

Boris Johnson would be banned from this site for his use of language, and while his position is up for debate as PM, if a site like this can root out the bigots there is no reason why the big social media companies can't. It's just a question of scale.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
The depressing thing for me is that one racist can, in a very short amount of time, spread his disgusting ideas and comments to millions of people who otherwise not have to hear it. They have more power to offend than they ever though possible, and they're loving it.

It's not a case of burying my head in the sand. I just hate the fact that a small minority of people have been given so much power. Welcome to the 21st century.

Having said that, is it really 'rocket science' to locate these idiots and prosecute them, if they're found to be in the UK?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
The fact social media companies are not treated as media companies or publishers appears to me at least to be a big part of the problem. Make Facebook, Twatter etc face up to usual laws on this in the UK and you have part of the solution.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
After someone posted a collage of the Pogba tweets last night, I had a look at the Usernames involved. All but one, seem to have sprung up from nowhere, posted their filth, then removed the accounts. So, what have we got here? A minority of copycat idiots or, something more sinister? It seems that it only takes half a dozen of these tweets to make national headlines.

Regardless of this latest outrage, a lot of what goes on on Twitter, is a cesspit of hate, lies, shit stirring and disgraceful discrimination. 

Offline spartacuss

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
In recent decades, I had the reassuring impression that racism, xenophobia and similar 'othering' hatreds had been fading out like the woodbine-sucking, shabby rain-coated geezers who would give us younger fans the benefit of their sad, prejudiced 'wisdom' in my first days at Villa Park.  I thought that the 21st Century had consigned fascism and knuckle-headed nationalism to the non-recyclable skip of history and - despite some portents like the Bush-Blair wars, Putin etc. - socially, things were progressing. Then came austerity and one of its natural consequences (as the powerful and privileged Right scrabbled around for a distraction project) that vote in 2016.

It's already been well aired in previous comments that Trump and De Pfeffer Johnson (only oiks call him 'Boris') have proved to be the gateway drugs to the 'let them eat chaos' social model that the US and UK have in an (un)planned future. Their hard-core followers have slithered from being saloon-bar SturmAbteilung to  SM-SA - belching bile and bigotry on social media.  Their pathetic racial and social prejudices and hatred is as much about sad displacement activities of their unfulfilled, repressed lives - typical of fascist/stalinist personality types. (And no, 'Tout comprendre est tout pardonner' - to understand the psychology of fascists and stalinists is not to forgive.)

Perhaps these dutiful poodles tethered and barking for the international Right (i.e.Orban, Bolsanaro, Putin, Salvini, Netanyahu, Mohdi, Farage, Murdoch et al) should remind themselves of the fate of Ernst Rohm SA and his 'Proud Boys' after they had done their dirtiest and the really bad bastards of the elite dispensed with them in 1934. (After patronising them, of course.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:56:05 PM by spartacuss »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal