collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvelous Nakamba - gone  (Read 161424 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Marvelous Nakamba - confirmed
« Reply #645 on: August 25, 2021, 10:52:37 AM »
Yes, he isn't Marvellous and needs upgrading - not his fault, just another ill judged signing from 2019.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #646 on: August 25, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Different time, 2019. We needed players, and tbf he didn't look too shabby in his first two or three appearances. But he's not kept pace with our progression, we've left him behind a bit.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #647 on: August 25, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
Yes, he isn't Marvellous and needs upgrading - not his fault, just another ill judged signing from 2019.

I think that's really harsh on him.  Do we want an upgrade now, in 2021? Yes. Was he good enough for a squad that stayed in the premier league in their first year back and consolidated to 11th in their second year? Also yes.  The fact that a player we bought to help us maintain our premier league status isn't now good enough to help us push for the top 6 isn't a sign that buying him was 'ill-judged', it just means he's done his job and now we're looking for better, that's all.

If our trajectory is to continue along the lines we hope it will, there will be plenty more Nakambas over the next few years, with players we brought in to do a job but are no longer of the required standard.  It doesn't make Nakamba (or whoever is next) a bad buy, it just means we've improved - which is obviously a good thing!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #648 on: August 25, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »
Teams immediately above us last season had the likes of Philips and Rice playing as DM for them. Nakamba is miles off that quality. If we want to improve, that's the gap we need to narrow. Players with massive deficiencies aren't going to help us break into the top 8/6.

Only one team has Phillips and Rice playing for them, probably the best pairing in the league. Who do West Ham have as backup? That's the comparison. I doubt it is anyone significantly better than our Marv. He's good enough for a squad place.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #649 on: August 25, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
Yeah, people moan that we need someone to break up play. Nakamba does that better than any of our other players and gets moaned at for not being Lothar Matthaus in possession. He still has an important role to play this season and, unless we bring at least one player in, I'd be reluctant to let him leave.

Our biggest problem I'd suggest is the inability of our midfield to get turned on the ball when pressed by the opposition. Nakamba is a liability really in that scenario and he isn't anywhere near good enough without the ball to compensate.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #650 on: August 25, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »
Teams immediately above us last season had the likes of Philips and Rice playing as DM for them. Nakamba is miles off that quality. If we want to improve, that's the gap we need to narrow. Players with massive deficiencies aren't going to help us break into the top 8/6.

Only one team has Phillips and Rice playing for them, probably the best pairing in the league. Who do West Ham have as backup? That's the comparison. I doubt it is anyone significantly better than our Marv. He's good enough for a squad place.

Phillips plays for Leeds mate...

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #651 on: August 25, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »
I was being a tad harsh on him but we paid too much and in all honesty, he didn't look much better than League 2 level last night.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
While others have improved, he seems to have gone backwards from the performances he gave against Tottenham and Chelsea at the end of last season (and even then, a misplaced pass led to Tottenham's goal).

We're missing an Ndidi/Allan/Hojberg/Phillips/Rice type that the teams around us have, which could make a real difference to us. We're very much relying on Luiz discovering the form he was in after lockdown and early last season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2021, 11:50:20 AM »

He's reaching the end of his career now, but West Ham's back up in that position to Soucek and Rice was Noble. But anyway, both of their players in that position are miles better than the two players we've got doing the job.  We've got two players who aren't natural sitting midfielders, and then a replacement who despite being a natural DCM, just isn't very good. It's the very, very obvious weak spot in the team.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #654 on: August 25, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »

I wish he played for us.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »
Well we bid for him got turned down and downgraded to Nakamba. I'm not sure who scouted him but file him under Wesley and shit.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #656 on: September 19, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »
Thought Nakamba put in a real shift when he came on yesterday. Great performance.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:06:54 PM by not3bad »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2021, 01:14:42 PM »
Yeah, think he's back to the levels he was at near the end of last season now.

Offline nigel

« Reply #658 on: September 19, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »
Fitted in really nicely when he came on.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #659 on: September 19, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »

Meh, Leeds, England. Similar kits.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal