collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvelous Nakamba - gone  (Read 161293 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Marvelous Nakamba - confirmed
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
Last season he had the habit of getting wrong side of attackers , giving free kicks away and switching off.
We did very well yesterday to not give free kicks around our area.

True.  Last season our midfield was a bit shapeless with everyone trying to be everything.  This year we’ve accepted that we need at least one holding player.  I think a ‘holding and breaking up play’ role suits Marv’s strong points and mitigates against his weaknesses.

He had a run of games when he came into the side last season where he looked good, but then dropped off. 

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »
He appears to have benefitted from some time out and some coaching. He looks fitter, is thinking more clearly (far fewer needless fouls) and is playing sensible balls into colleagues.
Credit to him for the improvement.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #542 on: February 28, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »
He's got a lovely smile, too.

Offline Paulo

« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
Last season he had the habit of getting wrong side of attackers , giving free kicks away and switching off.
We did very well yesterday to not give free kicks around our area.

True.  Last season our midfield was a bit shapeless with everyone trying to be everything.  This year we’ve accepted that we need at least one holding player.  I think a ‘holding and breaking up play’ role suits Marv’s strong points and mitigates against his weaknesses.

He had a run of games when he came into the side last season where he looked good, but then dropped off.

Yes, I think it was the 'must win' game against Watford when he was immense. Seemed to be everywhere and I thought he'd cracked it, but he couldn't keep that level of performance up.

If we can sign a DMC with most of his attributes but can pass forward for next season we'll improve straight away (easier said that done).

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
I've always liked him, we've just struggled a bit at times when he's been in the team.

He could play in that defensive role and have Luiz in front with McGinn or Sanson, Ramsay or... well haven't we got a lot of choice all of a sudden?!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
He's improved a lot, but being honest he still made some sloppy passes losing possession (in the second half especially) against Leeds. Needs to work on just keeping things simple and retaining possession.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #546 on: March 02, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »
i like him and always thought he'd get better when he adjusted more to the premier league in his second season

however i see him as a man to do a specific job against different sides
against Leeds it worked a treat because he was a pest broke up play and stopped them playing there high energy type game

i'm not sure we need that sort of player against Sheff utd
someone to stop them playing is not going to be necessary as much as someone to break them down

luiz is a class player,
and against Sheff utd i would put him back in, with Sanson or Ramsey
 we will need that extra threat and passing skills more than someone running around blocking play

horses for courses as they say

Offline nigel

« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
He's improved a lot, but being honest he still made some sloppy passes losing possession (in the second half especially) against Leeds. Needs to work on just keeping things simple and retaining possession.

And then people will moan because he’s not playing killer passes!

It’s a bit of a viscous circle

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »

I don't think it is.  There is a different expectation on Marv, compared to, say, Barkley.  I know what Risso is saying, there was one passage of play in the second half where he broke the line of their midfield (not really his job, but where he found himself) and he passed it straight out of play about five yards behind Anwar on the left touchline.  Clearly that's because he's not the sort of player who generally breaks lines plays passes into the final third, so I can forgive him that.  If his 10-15 yard passing accuracy was a touch better he'd be a top-class defensive midfielder.  I'm not going to pick him up for not being too accomplished in the attacking third.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »

Does he get stuck on the centre circle a lot?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2021, 09:37:48 PM »

That was the Baseball Ground in the seventies.

Offline nigel

« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2021, 01:54:35 PM »

Ha ha, didn’t notice that. Flippin auto spell 😂

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #552 on: April 10, 2021, 07:50:38 PM »
Decent chance for him to make an impression today but had a shocker. Without the ball, he couldn't get remotely close to their midfield and with the ball his limitations were painfully evident. Might be the end of the road for him today with us, we need a far better defensive midfielder for next season.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #553 on: April 10, 2021, 07:57:07 PM »
Decent chance for him to make an impression today but had a shocker. Without the ball, he couldn't get remotely close to their midfield and with the ball his limitations were painfully evident. Might be the end of the road for him today with us, we need a far better defensive midfielder for next season.
The midfield was a shambles, no shape and Liverpool passed straight through us, Nakamba was the only one holding position and did win the ball a few times. Not sure all the blame is with him.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #554 on: April 10, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »
The midfield was a shambles, no shape and Liverpool passed straight through us, Nakamba was the only one holding position and did win the ball a few times. Not sure all the blame is with him.

Certainly the other two aren't blameless but they improved a lot when Nakamba went off. He didn't cover, press or pass particularly well. He was lost in truth.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal