collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’  (Read 23439 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’
« on: July 20, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
Spent a lot.  Bought a lot of players in one go.? Lots of unknown quantities at PL level.

On the plus side we’ve got business done early.  We seem to have thought about the type of player we want to bring in to complement the existing squad. 

We could surprise a few people but plenty of people are thinking the other way. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
I thought this expression was banned from the board earlier this summer.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
I think because one team spent lots of money and it didn't work, noone should ever try to spend lots of money ever again.

I expect Man City and Paris St Germain to be battling relegation this coming season.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »
We didn’t have a balanced squad last season so adding one or two players was never really an option.
To put it another way, we would definitely have gone down with last year’s squad whereas now we have a chance of staying up.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
If we sign 5 players in a mass panic on deadline day then yes

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
It's a very lazy comparison.

Fulham failed because they reinforced areas of strength and disrupted the continuity of their squad.

They also failed because there was no design or harmony to their recruitment. The manager had a set style and the recruitment was separate from his input.

They also failed to reinforce where they were weakest and panic purchased, 5 on the final day, without anytime for the to blend.

We have had a measured plan in place prior to the end of the season. We've kept the bulk of the useful elements of the squad together and we're filling gaps created by the release of a number of players surplus to requirements.

We've done our business early and looked specifically at younger players. Whether we're successful or not remains to be seen. But I can't be doing with this lazy cliche.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:06:38 PM by Ads »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
It's a very lazy comparison.

Fulham failed because they reinforced areas of strength and disrupted the continuity of their squad.

They also failed because there was no design or harmony to their recruitment. The manager had a set style and the recruitment was separate from his input.

They also failed to reinforce where they were weakest and panic purchased, 5 on the final day, without anytime for the to blend.

We have had a measured plan in place prior to the end of the season. We've kept the bulk of the useful elements of the squad together and we're filling gaps creates by the release of a number of players surplus to requirements.

We've done our business early and looked specifically at younger players. Whether we're successful or not remains to be seen. But I can't be doing with this lazy cliche.

Agreed. I just couldn’t be arsed to type all that. Hot here Ads. Making me lazy.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
For the record I am not lazy. :-)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
No, please lock the thread.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
I see it's a stick that other fans are using to beat Villa fans with on Twitter ( not that I could give a friar tuck ) the fact that three of the signings were here last season, 1 we bought in Jan and DS has worked with two others all ready, gets largely forgotten by the media and pundits.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
No.
We are Villa, we spend what we want.

(Within reason obvs)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
How did the likes of Cairney and Sessegnon do last season for Fulham? I didn't see much of Fulham last season but those two were outstanding in the second division. Always a risk some of ours will have a similar struggle to step up but Fulham seemed to make too many late signings, displacing solid performers like Johansen, with limited pre season team building.

A lot of our transfer business was forced given the number out of contract but thankfully most of it has been done early. The three returnees shouldn't have a problem settling in for starters. Let's be realistic though, we have a new squad of players and management team in the main totally unproven in the top division. A lot of pressure will still rest on Grealish to carry the team in the early stages of the season.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
That pressure will be shared by McGinn and Mings. It won’t all be on Jack.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
No

Lazy punditry from the people who brought you "Villa fans never accepted Bruce because he managed Blues". The succinct and reasonable argument put forward by Ads above, would't be uttered by professional dullards like Danny Mills or Tony Cascarino. People like this do absolutely no research and simply turn up and take the money.

Offline kieron

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
No-one knows, is the correct answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal