collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494055 times)

Online taylorsworkrate

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #4005 on: November 29, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »
I seem to remember that Gerrard wasn't picking him much around the start of last season. I may have that wrong though

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4006 on: November 29, 2023, 10:09:44 AM »
I'd be amazed if he signed a new deal last year for 'only' £75k per week (and it still bugs me that we imagine people on multi-million-pound contracts are getting paid weekly).

Same (on the latter part).

On the former, I think I'm right in saying it was his first "new" contract since he signed for us? In which case, I don't think it would be surprising if he joined us as a 21 year old on say, £30-40k per week (sorry), which was then doubled as he became a more important, although not integral part of the squad.

Fair enough, yeah.

Even the fucking dole comes fortnightly (or it did the last time I got it, which was more than 20 years ago)!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4007 on: November 29, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »
I seem to remember that Gerrard wasn't picking him much around the start of last season. I may have that wrong though

Played in every game as far as I recall, although didn't start a few, Bournemouth and Arsenal being two.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #4008 on: November 29, 2023, 10:10:53 AM »

Played in every game as far as I recall, although didn't start a few, Bournemouth and Arsenal being two.

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of him not starting.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4009 on: November 29, 2023, 10:58:46 AM »
Personally, though in the minority on h and v, but I believe that now that we're Euro contenders, we won't be selling our top players to division rivals, regardless of speculation about Premier League clubs.
If we sell it's  to another league like was the case with Harry Kane.
PSG would take Douglas Luiz, exactly the sort of player their midfield needs.
I believe he would move there because it suits his style and personality, but I don't want him to leave and believe he can be happy here as long as we are in the Champions League next season.

He and Kamara are borderline formidable in partnership, add McGinn and Tielemans who are all top four Champions League ready midfielders.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 11:00:38 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #4010 on: November 29, 2023, 12:10:35 PM »
My biggest concern, even greater than potentially losing one of our top performers to a rival, is the signal it sends that the Villa shop is well and truly open and offers will be considered for anyone. Not the message that a club with serious ambitions should be sending out. However, nothing has happened as yet and hopefully won't do so in January or next summer.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4011 on: December 04, 2023, 12:36:46 PM »
He’s done really well to not be banned since his last yellow card, and I say that as someone who thought he should have purposely picked up a booking to miss the Luton game. Does anyone know when his fourth yellow in the league was?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4012 on: December 04, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »
He’s done really well to not be banned since his last yellow card, and I say that as someone who thought he should have purposely picked up a booking to miss the Luton game. Does anyone know when his fourth yellow in the league was?

It was in the battering of Brighton so 7 games ago.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4013 on: December 04, 2023, 01:35:55 PM »

It was in the battering of Brighton so 7 games ago.

Cheers Paul.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4014 on: December 04, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
So now Percy has guaranteed the booking against Man Citeh so Douggie misses the Arsenal match, will we have conspiracy theories that Luiz only did it so he didn't have to play against them as he would be joining them in 4 weeks time?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4015 on: December 04, 2023, 01:44:57 PM »
So now Percy has guaranteed the booking against Man Citeh so Douggie misses the Arsenal match, will we have conspiracy theories that Luiz only did it so he didn't have to play against them as he would be joining them in 4 weeks time?

Sorry in advance.

Online AV84

« Reply #4016 on: December 05, 2023, 11:28:44 AM »
*TRIGGER WARNING*
I'm about to mention the rumors for anyone who has a severe reaction to such things.

Luiz's form has earned him a recall to the Brazil national team. There are also rumours of interest from Liverpool and Arsenal ahead of next month's transfer window. Luiz welcomes the recognition but there seems little danger of distraction.

"I am very happy to hear the stories but I am here at Aston Villa," he says. "My focus is totally here. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the stories. I see them, but I don't focus on that and I'm not looking at it every day. My head is here at Aston Villa."

From interview with SkySports https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13018760/douglas-luiz-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-midfielder-flattered-by-interest-but-loving-life-under-incredible-unai-emery

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4017 on: December 05, 2023, 12:34:36 PM »
That, at least to me, reads "I won't rock the boat if it (a move to the mighty Arsenal or Liverpool, both of which are steps up from where I am now) doesn't happen, but I'm really happy to see it it might." 

Others will no doubt read it otherwise.

It's rather unsatisfactory to be honest.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:39:21 PM by Rigadon »

Online AV84

« Reply #4018 on: December 05, 2023, 12:39:32 PM »
I thought the opposite. If you read the whole interview he talks very positively about Emery, his own growth as a player, his position of responsibility at the club, and the club as a whole. Doesn't sound like someone that's even thinking about other offers.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4019 on: December 05, 2023, 12:41:27 PM »
I thought the opposite. If you read the whole interview he talks very positively about Emery, his own growth as a player, his position of responsibility at the club, and the club as a whole. Doesn't sound like someone that's even thinking about other offers.

I think he's off in January if the 'big clubs' want it to happen.  I hope your interpretation is the correct one! 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal