collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:29:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494865 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3915 on: November 27, 2023, 09:55:44 AM »
We're in the top 4, on merit, and some of our best players are having excellent seasons.  Of COURSE they're going to be linked with moves away. That's what happens.

Other teams wanting our players, and those teams getting our players are very different things.

I'm more interested in how we strengthen in January from a position of strength.  We might not still be in the top four come January, given we play 3 other top four contenders in December, but we'll certainly still be in the European football mix, which is a world away from where we were in January last year.  It will be nice to be in January looking to see who we can buy to strengthen the squad, rather than who we can buy to 'replace' someone in the current 11.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #3916 on: November 27, 2023, 10:14:41 AM »
The Arsenal links are particularly weird at the moment in so far as they make absolutely no logical sense. Luiz has 3 years left on his deal. They'd have to give us Declan Rice 100m type money to buy him, which even they can't do in consecutive windows due to FFP.

At least last season, it (sort of) made sense as his deal was running down and he wasn't in the team. Now though it's a total non story. He's obviously not going anywhere in January.

Even if we don't qualify for the Champions League, and a CL club comes in for him next summer, the club would be asking for 100m.

Offline AV84

« Reply #3917 on: November 27, 2023, 10:17:44 AM »
A few weeks ago the "links" were saying that Arsenal couldn't afford him so they wanted to offer cash and Emile Smith-Rowe. They were only valuing DL at about £65mil, I think, so it was ESR plus about 30mil, I reckon. Which is laughable.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3918 on: November 27, 2023, 01:07:34 PM »
I have really come to love this player since Emery arrived & sprinkled his magic eye over his game.

I always thought that Douglas Luiz was a 'Jack of all trades & master of fuck all'.

Don't get me wrong, I respected the fact that he was playing out of position, & was playing pretty well on a pretty consistent basis, but I did not foresee the absolute "world class" footballer that he has become under Emerys guide.

Giving him permission to control the ball in tight areas has been key the change in his game & I absolutely love watching him on the ball.

And for the record, my own personal interpretation for the definition of "world class", means that I do not think there are many players in world football that I would currently swap for Douglas Luiz...

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #3919 on: November 28, 2023, 08:33:11 AM »
Arsenal, Citeh AND Liverpool in this morning links.  Media obviously desperate to flog him for us, Kamara will be next, no doubt!

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3920 on: November 28, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »
It's odd, because while he's been great this season he's just carrying on his form from last season rather than really stepping up.

So given Arsenal bid £60m for Mount, £70m for Caicedo and then signed Havertz for £60m, in addition to the £100m for Rice, why didn't they just try and get him in the summer?

They clearly had the money to at least make us talk. Even if I don't think we'd have chosen to sell for those numbers above. It can't be that they've suddenly decided he's better than they thought.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #3921 on: November 28, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »
It's odd, because while he's been great this season he's just carrying on his form from last season rather than really stepping up.

So given Arsenal bid £60m for Mount, £70m for Caicedo and then signed Havertz for £60m, in addition to the £100m for Rice, why didn't they just try and get him in the summer?

They clearly had the money to at least make us talk. Even if I don't think we'd have chosen to sell for those numbers above. It can't be that they've suddenly decided he's better than they thought.

They don't like the thought of Villa 'treading on their territory' and becoming a threat!!

Offline AV84

« Reply #3922 on: November 28, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »
Havertz hasn't really worked out for them, no matter how adorable Arteta thinks he is.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #3923 on: November 28, 2023, 10:38:30 AM »
You have to think this is now part of the "game" to disrupt up and coming challengers.
As if FFP does not hamstrung you enough when challenging the the usual suspects then lets pick off your best players.
For me Luiz has to be worth £90m plus but what is the point in selling your best established players of that quality if you want to compete?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3924 on: November 28, 2023, 10:43:25 AM »
You have to think this is now part of the "game" to disrupt up and coming challengers.
As if FFP does not hamstrung you enough when challenging the the usual suspects then lets pick off your best players.

We'd do exactly the same, given half a chance. And have done, when we've been given the chance.

Offline lukey27

« Reply #3925 on: November 28, 2023, 10:44:28 AM »
I can only think there is a release clause in the new contract he signed. There's too much noise around this for there not to be.

I remember there being talk that legally the Grealish one couldn't be revealed by the press but clearly it was known about internally.

If Luiz has got a clause and it's only £60m there will definitely be bids. I imagine the club are trying to offer him a new deal if this is the case.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3926 on: November 28, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
It's just content filler and it's informed by ignorance, so best to ignore.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3927 on: November 28, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
I can't believe anyone thinks it is possible for a player to have a release clause and it not be known.

His agent will make it known to anyone who asks, there's no benefit whatsoever for the player in trying to keep it secret.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3928 on: November 28, 2023, 10:56:02 AM »
Grealish's wasn't widely know until very late, was it?

I think I'd be more surprised if Duggie didn't have one, he was holding the cards during the last negotiations.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3929 on: November 28, 2023, 10:58:20 AM »
Grealish's wasn't widely know until very late, was it?

I think I'd be more surprised if Duggie didn't have one, he was holding the cards during the last negotiations.

Grealish's will have been known to any club or agent who asked about it from the day he signed it. Whether the wider public know about it doesn't really change anything.

I dunno re Luiz. He was clearly on the up at that point, but he wasn't anything like as important to us as he is now.

I can't see us wanting to sell him (if there is no release clause) in January, and tbh, and I know I am asking for it now, i can't see him wanting to leave, either, not mid-season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal