collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494707 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3690 on: September 30, 2023, 11:54:22 PM »
I also think he was better than he was given credit for pre Emery.  He was just asked to do too much defensive work and was crying out for someone alongside him.

100% valid point...

He certainly suffered from the role he was being asked to perform.

He did it without complaint & to the best of his ability, but it just didn't suit his game.

He seems a much free-er (word?) player now he has been given permission to take & keep the ball in tight areas...

Yup, all of this and Chris's post above.

I'd also add that he joined us at age 21. In the last few years when we were saying he was too defensive, not defensive enough, trying too hard, not trying enough - I think he was judged as being a highly rated Brazilian signed from Man City who wasn't brilliant from day one.

He's never been anything less than good. He's now our best midfielder since...Milner? Probably past him now on longevity. Barry?

Milner only had one very good season with us, his last one. Centre of the park, great athlete and gave 💯 every game. Luiz definitely has more to his game than Milner did but not quite matching his athleticism.

Think Luiz has a fair way to go to match Barry.

On today, Luiz was very good again. Thought others stood out more, mind but he utterly dominated Gilmore from the first whistle. Never looked like getting a second yellow either.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3691 on: September 30, 2023, 11:58:26 PM »
He's like Garry Parker, Ray Houghton, and Kevin Richardson rolled into one.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3692 on: October 01, 2023, 12:02:38 AM »
It can only be a matter of time before he's recalled to the Brazil team. Oh and how happy does he look right now.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #3693 on: October 01, 2023, 12:41:55 AM »
I also think he was better than he was given credit for pre Emery.  He was just asked to do too much defensive work and was crying out for someone alongside him.

100% valid point...

He did it without complaint & to the best of his ability, but it just didn't suit his game.

He seems a much free-er (word?) player now he has been given permission to take & keep the ball in tight areas...

I'd also add that he joined us at age 21. In the last few years when we were saying he was too defensive, not defensive enough, trying too hard, not trying enough - I think he was judged as being a highly rated Brazilian signed from Man City who wasn't brilliant from day one.

He's never been anything less than good. He's now our best midfielder since...Milner? Probably past him now on longevity. Barry?

Milner only had one very good season with us, his last one. Centre of the park, great athlete and gave 💯 every game. Luiz definitely has more to his game than Milner did but not quite matching his athleticism.

On today, Luiz was very good again. Thought others stood out more, mind but he utterly dominated Gilmore from the first whistle. Never looked like getting a second yellow either.

I think Dougie is a better player than Barry….there I’ve said it, ready and waiting to be shot down.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3694 on: October 01, 2023, 01:05:10 AM »
I agree.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3695 on: October 01, 2023, 03:46:48 AM »
For us, better than Milner but not Barry - yet.

This is a special group with a special manager, so I do think Dougie will surpass Barry, maybe by the end of this season.

Just not quite, right now.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #3696 on: October 01, 2023, 04:33:29 AM »
Quite often when we didn't have the ball, Dougie was the highest up the pitch out of all the midfielders, just behind Watkins and Diaby. He is even more dangerous playing higher up, hence the goals and assists this season.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3697 on: October 01, 2023, 05:42:40 AM »
They paid how much for Casiedo

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3698 on: October 01, 2023, 07:44:41 AM »
Always rated Doug. I think centre mid can be such a hard position, especially if you’re learning in a team that was been struggling a fair bit of the time. But he’s now got the team around him, and the experience, to show his class. Brilliant player - the coolness of the finish for his goal just illustrated his quality.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3699 on: October 01, 2023, 08:25:30 AM »
His family have taken to sitting in a box by me, they are very, very enthusiastic supporters.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3700 on: October 01, 2023, 08:42:00 AM »
They paid how much for Casiedo

Was thinking about this. Doug is better than him.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3701 on: October 01, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »

100% valid point...

I think Dougie is a better player than Barry….there I’ve said it, ready and waiting to be shot down.

I agree, he’s the best I’ve seen since Cowans but I was too young to really appreciate how good he was and I really only remember his second stint properly.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #3702 on: October 01, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »

100% valid point...

V different players imo. Barry still better overall imo as his range of passing was superb. But Dougie is now some player and proved me wrong like many others

Offline Baldy

« Reply #3703 on: October 01, 2023, 09:57:15 AM »
Thank you Pep Guardiola and well done Aston Villa management.

Pep must rue the day he let Douglas Luiz go. Possibly his biggest mistake since taking over at City.

We have a mega star at our club. Well done to Dougie and to the AV boys in the suits. 

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3704 on: October 01, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »
Quite often when we didn't have the ball, Dougie was the highest up the pitch out of all the midfielders, just behind Watkins and Diaby. He is even more dangerous playing higher up, hence the goals and assists this season.

Yeah seemed like Emery instructed him to push up on Gilmore yesterday when they had the ball at the back. Risky enough strategy playing a high line defensively with Torres stepping out into Luiz regular spot when required. Guess Wellbeck and Ferguson arent the quickest so didnt threaten in behind us at all. Pedro to be fair gave us a lot more to think about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal