collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 495256 times)

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2745 on: September 01, 2022, 07:57:53 PM »
£26 million. Negative net spend for the second year in a row.

Whoop whoop. We're rocking these windows

I read somewhere that the owners have a net spend of about £250 million on transfers since they arrived.

Do you really expect Villa to be up there with the biggest spenders in Europe, every year?
How is that sustainable?

You may want to give Championship Manager a rest.

With that number given, £250 million, you should be asking why aren't we up there in terms of performance with the biggest spenders yet.

We're top 10 in net spend since 2020 and the only one outside of European places. Not only that, we're in the basement.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2746 on: September 01, 2022, 07:59:38 PM »

I read somewhere that the owners have a net spend of about £250 million on transfers since they arrived.

Do you really expect Villa to be up there with the biggest spenders in Europe, every year?
How is that sustainable?

You're right. We can sit back the deadline is passing and watch our pursuit of European qualification unfold. We've done enough, we don't need any further strengthing. Just spend what we generate and we'll be good to go.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2747 on: September 01, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »
Because it’s not actually always about actual spend but making shrewd decisions. Gerrard wasn’t one of those, in fact it’s now looking like a monumental fuck up. Some of the signings we’ve made have been good though in the last 3 years.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2748 on: September 01, 2022, 08:02:19 PM »

How is that sustainable?

With that number given, £250 million, you should be asking why aren't we up there in terms of performance with the biggest spenders yet.

We're top 10 in net spend since 2020 and the only one outside of European places. Not only that, we're in the basement.

He'll just come back with the same spin "the nanager" even though it is practically the same team smith had so it's the "two managers" and then next year it will be the third manager. I mean, I dont know who os responsible for recruiting these terrible managers

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2749 on: September 01, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »
Do we know if Luiz needs to be driven down to Islington?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2750 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:08 PM »

How is that sustainable?

You're right. We can sit back the deadline is passing and watch our pursuit of European qualification unfold. We've done enough, we don't need any further strengthing. Just spend what we generate and we'll be good to go.

Explain it to me then…

Do you think..

1. They have given up
2. Lost faith in Gerrard
3. Decided to copy the Glazers

Something else?

We’ve all seen how woeful the team has been so far.  I struggle to see why anyone would back Gerrard with a big money signing right now.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2751 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:22 PM »
If the M1 is anything like it was last night, he's left it too late.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2752 on: September 01, 2022, 08:08:28 PM »

How is that sustainable?

Nobody else 'up there' was relegated recently, so we've had to spend to just stay up.  That was supposed to be 'phase 1' in a plan to get the club into Europe (and eventually the CL).  The frustration is that we appear to have stalled.  Is that just because we have selected the wrong manager (again), or something more worrying, is what people are wondering now.  Maybe it's like a weird PTSD post-Lerner thing!? 

The hope is that we would've gone bigger in this window, had we not had such a shocking start.  That they are temporarily pulling the drawbridge up on big spending until they get another manager, or to a point in time where propsective players (that we can tempt financially but are currently reluctant to come because they don't want to sign for a manager who is shortly going to be on his bike) will be gettable. 

If it isn't that, and we aren't going to spend another £250m or whatever it'll realistically take to get 'up there', then I'm not sure what the point of having such apparently wealthy owners is.  Making up the numbers in this league is not what we've been told is happening.

I think its more likely to be a temporary blip, but I've just been telling my son to be more optimistic (about going back to school next week), so am trying to take some of my own advice!

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2753 on: September 01, 2022, 08:08:33 PM »
I was non plussesd if he goes or not but I'd fucking keep him purely for the amount of African Arsenal fans bombarding the Villa Socials.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2754 on: September 01, 2022, 08:11:57 PM »
Sell .His head's turned.

Agreed, when his heart's not in it we may as well get the fee rather than letting him go for free.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2755 on: September 01, 2022, 08:14:11 PM »
Sell .His head's turned.

Not to mention his stomach having to work under the Manager.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2756 on: September 01, 2022, 08:15:45 PM »
Although if his head is turned, it was likely turned before he scored another screamer last night. So, maybe, keep him even if his head is turned.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2757 on: September 01, 2022, 08:17:35 PM »

How is that sustainable?

Explain it to me then…

Do you think..

1. They have given up
2. Lost faith in Gerrard
3. Decided to copy the Glazers

Something else?

We’ve all seen how woeful the team has been so far.  I struggle to see why anyone would back Gerrard with a big money signing right now.

1. Yes, absolutely 100%. I think they deliberaly held back last summer to see if the Newcastle takeover happened. I think the window and this one shows this. I don't blame and I'm stressing this again that my issues with them is they've kept banging the European drum even though they know we aren't good enough. We're miles off being good enough and we clearly don't have the finances to be good enough. People are swallowing as demonstrated on here by posters genuinely believe we should be top half. They want be thinking this in the next couple of years believe me.

2. No, one thing that can't be denied is there ruthless in their actions with employees. He would have gone by now.

3. I don't get where this has been indicated but no they aren't coping the glazers. What wouldn't surprise me.....cue the laughs I know....is if they've got a business plan to get the stadium done, ensure we're a Premier league club with the view to cashing out to the Saudis (or similar). The ways its going, every club will need to be run like this to even be kn the league. Just on your points though about the glazers I think what we are seeing is more Lerner when we 2011

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2758 on: September 01, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »
Although if his head is turned, it was likely turned before he scored another screamer last night. So, maybe, keep him even if his head is turned.

Indeed.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2759 on: September 01, 2022, 08:21:07 PM »
If his sale brings in someone who is also a capable starter then let’s do it. I’d love Conor Gallagher now that Chelsea have made a deal for Zakaria. It could be that Luiz sale is dependent on other things happening and being agreed to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal