collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494034 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2700 on: September 01, 2022, 05:20:47 PM »
Word on the Tweet is we're asking £40 mill for Luiz. Maybe pricing him out? Either that or we're willing to be negotiated down to £30 mill.
Why would we price him out of he's effectively free to go in January?
My only concern about it is we don't appear to have a replacement in place at a time when we knew his contract situation might be a risk. Tielemans would be brilliant if we could get him, but I suspect they'll be others after him, and our league position and Slippy's precarious position will put potential acquisitions off.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2701 on: September 01, 2022, 05:24:13 PM »
Word on the Tweet is we're asking £40 mill for Luiz. Maybe pricing him out? Either that or we're willing to be negotiated down to £30 mill.
My only concern about it is we don't appear to have a replacement in place at a time when we knew his contract situation might be a risk. Tielemans would be brilliant if we could get him, but I suspect they'll be others after him, and our league position and Slippy's precarious position will put potential acquisitions off.

because we'd struggle to replace him in the squad today so a player we know adds something to us has more value than £20-30m sat in the bank that we can't use. There comes a point where the money is too much to turn down and it sounds like we've decided that's £40m, I'm ok with that. If Doug and Arsenal don't like it they maybe should've bid a month ago.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2702 on: September 01, 2022, 05:24:43 PM »
£30 and £40 million for Luiz???  They've obviously seen his potency from corners and thought "think what he could do with free kicks"....they'd be wrong.  It's madness. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2703 on: September 01, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »

because we'd struggle to replace him in the squad today so a player we know adds something to us has more value than £20-30m sat in the bank that we can't use. There comes a point where the money is too much to turn down and it sounds like we've decided that's £40m, I'm ok with that. If Doug and Arsenal don't like it they maybe should've bid a month ago.
I'd agree with you if he were a first-pick player under this manager, but he hasn't been, so cash in now and bank the money for use in January. Don't get me wrong, I think Doug has looked okay when he's been used by Slippy, but there is clearly a preference for Ramsey and McGinn as first-pick alongside Kamara.
With Dedoncker coming in, I'd see Luiz' role even further under threat.
Take the money!

Offline supertom

« Reply #2704 on: September 01, 2022, 05:31:18 PM »
Whilst we do need to balance the books and sell sensibly, and I'm not the biggest Douglas fan, I don't see the benefit of selling him without an adequate replacement. The Wolves fella isn't that. We'll still be short. If we're not using Sanson, we're very short of numbers in midfield, particularly when JJ and McGinn are struggling. Luis has actually been better than those too.

Also, we've all been here before. We know when a Villa manager is a dead man walking. Gerrard reeks of it. I'd rather keep Douglas so that the next manager has a half decent midfield option. We could still see Douglas become a very good no 8. If Arsenal fancy him, it says something. I don't care about losing him for a free. We need decent players here and now.

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #2705 on: September 01, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
116 appearances for us and he hasn't established himself as a first choice 6, 8 or 10.

If the price is right ........  sell.

Wonder how Sanson might do with a run of games?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2706 on: September 01, 2022, 05:40:23 PM »

I'd agree with you if he were a first-pick player under this manager, but he hasn't been, so cash in now and bank the money for use in January. Don't get me wrong, I think Doug has looked okay when he's been used by Slippy, but there is clearly a preference for Ramsey and McGinn as first-pick alongside Kamara.
With Dedoncker coming in, I'd see Luiz' role even further under threat.
Take the money!

Given the slope that slippy is currently on I'm not sure how he favours setting us up in midfield matters all that much. Even ignoring that, we've just let Tim go out on loan and Gerrard seems to have decided to completely ignore Nakamba and Sanson. That means our midfield options right now are Kamara, Dendoncker, McGinn, Ramsey and Luiz, if we can't get a replacement in selling him now would leave us really short of options.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2707 on: September 01, 2022, 05:41:58 PM »
116 appearances for us and he hasn't established himself as a first choice 6, 8 or 10.

That's what I was thinking. Obviously preferable if we get someone like Gallagher or Tielemans in to replace him.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2708 on: September 01, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »
I have always liked Douglas Luiz and I am very frustrated that this manager has not identified 4-2-3-1 as the system with him in the first 11.

We seem to have taken a very strange turn this week and I am really uncomfortable with it.

Online jwarry

« Reply #2709 on: September 01, 2022, 05:43:05 PM »
£30 and £40 million for Luiz???  They've obviously seen his potency from corners and thought "think what he could do with free kicks"....they'd be wrong.  It's madness. 

Or it could be because there is a 20% sell on clause to Man City as being reported in some dodgy media outlets

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2710 on: September 01, 2022, 05:43:53 PM »

That's what I was thinking. Obviously preferable if we get someone like Gallagher or Tielemans in to replace him.
If that was happening great , but I don't think it is so just more cloggers.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2711 on: September 01, 2022, 05:47:32 PM »

I'm a glass half-full man. :)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2712 on: September 01, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »

I'm a glass half-full man. :)
At 11pm you can top it up or chuck it away.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2713 on: September 01, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »
swap Luiz for Jesus

I'll take £25 million plus Zoroaster.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2714 on: September 01, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »
£26m plus add ons allegedly accepted according to TS