collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473087 times)

Offline MillerBall

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2505 on: August 11, 2022, 02:04:50 PM »
Our midfield has plenty of skill but not much bite in comparison with many of the other teams in our league and we are often slow and predictable in our build up..  Luiz, as with many of the others would probably look much better with a totally different combination of players around them at another club.
I don't see him as crucial to the future of the club  but as has been pointed out he is still young and has plenty of football left in him.
Good luck to Luiz but I certainly won't be breaking  open any bottles of champagne if he has a new contract and is staying.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2506 on: August 11, 2022, 10:53:17 PM »
I think a lot of posters here are looking for things to fault him for during games - if something wrong happens and he was on the ball 3 passes before, "FFS DOUG!", I see him as a player never shirking away from being available for a pass and doesn't slow down our moves. Does the odd brain farts, which are extremely frustrating, but I like him as a player.

He's a little too passive in his passing for me. Far too often he just returns the ball back to the CB or FB under little pressure. Without the ball, he gets caught far too often ahead of the ball. This might not be as much of an issue at 8 but at 6 is a big problem. I agree, he gets a lot more criticism than is justified but for me frustration is mainly that there's a lot more in him. He was arguably our best player after the covid restart but that sharp spiky midfielder has only been seen intermittently since. If we switch to 4231, he could easily sit in next to Kamara and we'll see a better player.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2507 on: August 12, 2022, 06:44:23 AM »
Our midfield has plenty of skill but not much bite in comparison with many of the other teams in our league and we are often slow and predictable in our build up..  Luiz, as with many of the others would probably look much better with a totally different combination of players around them at another club.
I don't see him as crucial to the future of the club  but as has been pointed out he is still young and has plenty of football left in him.
Good luck to Luiz but I certainly won't be breaking  open any bottles of champagne if he has a new contract and is staying.

We saw last week that Pearson and Tavernier in the Bournemouth midfield were simply more aggressive than our 3 from the first minute, which we didn't get to grips with at all. It is why I would still have an athletic, tough tackling hard midfielder on my list of wants, wherever he fitted in across the 3 in midfield.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2508 on: August 12, 2022, 07:50:23 AM »
I don't understand the fuss over Luiz, I have yet to see a game where he has dominated the oppositions midfield

His corners and free kicks are woeful, for me based on our current midfield options he would not get in the team.

If he was as good as some claim, why are no clubs offering us £20 million + for his signature, he currently only has a year left on his contract, maybe his agent has told him to sign the new Villa deal as he would not earn anywhere else as much as we are prepared to pay him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:10:24 AM by sid1964 »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2509 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »
A more mobile version of Hourihane but without the great left foot.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2510 on: August 12, 2022, 09:10:35 AM »
He's a very good player and his best years are in front of him.

Whe did he last have a game where he came off and you thought he played really well though? I'm with Chicago, he's bang average. He was bought as a defensive midfielder but is rubbish at it, so people then say he should be played further forward, but he's mostly rubbish at that as well. All he really does is sit in the middle and play simple little passes, which is a skill I guess, but not really enough to be honest. Then there are the mistakes and giving the ball away, which reduces his overall contribution even further. I don't mind him, but he's another like Mings and McGinn who needs replacing.

I'm in this camp too, Risso.

Incidentally, I thought Luiz' best game was Man City at home last season. He marauded forward and looked the part. I want to see more of that from Doug, and more of that kind of performance from us. We lost, but we played very well in that second half.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2511 on: August 12, 2022, 09:42:54 AM »
Southampton stands out as he actually got into the box and managed to score

Other than that he is the epitome of watching the game for 20 mins and then realising he is playing

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2512 on: August 12, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
He's a very good player and his best years are in front of him.

Whe did he last have a game where he came off and you thought he played really well though? I'm with Chicago, he's bang average. He was bought as a defensive midfielder but is rubbish at it, so people then say he should be played further forward, but he's mostly rubbish at that as well. All he really does is sit in the middle and play simple little passes, which is a skill I guess, but not really enough to be honest. Then there are the mistakes and giving the ball away, which reduces his overall contribution even further. I don't mind him, but he's another like Mings and McGinn who needs replacing.

I'm in this camp too, Risso.

Incidentally, I thought Luiz' best game was Man City at home last season. He marauded forward and looked the part. I want to see more of that from Doug, and more of that kind of performance from us. We lost, but we played very well in that second half.

Liverpool at home too. Plus I thought he was good away to Man Utd in both games.

That's the enigma with him, at his best he can mix it with the best, his ceiling is higher than our other midfielders. He lacks consistency and needs to fix his position, but I'd be sad to see him leave because we will 100% be watching him boss a Champions League knockout game in a couple of years whilst we're trying to re-ignite Harry Winks career.

Offline MillerBall

« Reply #2513 on: August 12, 2022, 03:00:41 PM »
I think we all clearly want Luiz to do well but our midfield is so frequently "outbattled" that if truth be known there would not be many tears shed by Villains if there had been major personnel  changes during the summer. Sadly it looks as if SG must be happy with his midfield and I find that very surprising indeed.and this may come back to haunt him   by the time the league takes its World Cup break."
I think the comment about him having the potential to boss a
 a Champions Lgue game is quite feasible but it won't be playing for us and the next game week is likely to see a return to normal service levels.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2514 on: August 24, 2022, 09:51:56 PM »
Wow what a goal yesterday from a corner .
I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2515 on: August 24, 2022, 10:19:40 PM »
Played well last night, well done Doug.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2516 on: August 24, 2022, 10:20:44 PM »
What a brilliant goal last night more of the same against West Ham please Dougie.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #2517 on: August 25, 2022, 01:35:06 AM »
Steve Staunton had a great left foot and scored a couple of goals direct from corners, as I recall.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2518 on: August 25, 2022, 02:03:09 AM »
Home to Palace in 94.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #2519 on: August 25, 2022, 05:13:32 AM »
Do we think he meant it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal