collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:54:44 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:38:05 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494524 times)

Online aj2k77

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2325 on: February 20, 2022, 09:34:56 AM »
He's not crap, he's not a defensive midfielder full stop. He's to light, to slow and doesn't get the hard ball, watch how Marvelous tackles he leaves nothing behind, before his injury he was the steel in the defence and gave Luiz more freedom. At this time we need a hard man to play the position, doesn't have to be stylish just someone that likes stopping the opposition.

He's crap. Good at nothing, ok at lots of things. Never a top half midfielder.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2326 on: February 20, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
... Never a top half midfielder.
Well, he's at the right club then!

Online caster troy

« Reply #2327 on: February 21, 2022, 12:53:43 PM »
This thread includes a couple of examples of Luiz's play from Saturday that show his biggest limitations for me.

https://twitter.com/TalkinTactics/status/1495506296048599040?s=20&t=qrozKbeFmBjCMixJhZOPYQ

Firstly the time he let Sarr go past him as if he wasn't there which allowed that crucial first counter attack where Watford should have scored. It gave them a lift, made us doubt ourselves and put the crowd on edge. Secondly the time in the second half where he came forward and woefully gave the ball away, leading to another counter that should have been a goal. He isn't strong enough to be a consistent ball winner or disciplined enough to play such a crucial defensive role.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2328 on: February 21, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
I truly believe that the best role for Luiz is as a more defensive 8 to used against the better sides or those who are stronger in midfield. His performance in the home game  against Man City springs to mind. Unfortunately, because we didn’t address the DM issue again in January, we’re forced to play him there whilst Nakamba is injured. I’d like to see him as an 8 for a season and then make a call on him.

But Ramsey, Sanson and McGinn (even on recent form) are all better than him in that position, and we also have Iroegbunan coming through. What is the point of a 5th choice 'number 8' being kept on the books, especially when you can sell for a profit and his contract is running down.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2329 on: February 21, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
I truly believe that the best role for Luiz is as a more defensive 8 to used against the better sides or those who are stronger in midfield. His performance in the home game  against Man City springs to mind. Unfortunately, because we didn’t address the DM issue again in January, we’re forced to play him there whilst Nakamba is injured. I’d like to see him as an 8 for a season and then make a call on him.
But Ramsey, Sanson and McGinn (even on recent form) are all better than him in that position, and we also have Iroegbunan coming through. What is the point of a 5th choice 'number 8' being kept on the books, especially when you can sell for a profit and his contract is running down.
Hard to disagree.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2330 on: February 21, 2022, 06:30:49 PM »

I can see us offloading both Luiz and McGinn in the summer if the price is right.
Dougie will end up in Italy, McGinn, more than likely, ManU. Combined fee of £80m+

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2331 on: February 21, 2022, 06:48:15 PM »
McGinn to Yanited...I think it's fanciful.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2332 on: February 22, 2022, 08:56:32 AM »
McGinn to Yanited...I think it's fanciful.

To be fair you’re probably right, but he’s been linked more than once. I suppose it depends on who their new manager is

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #2333 on: February 27, 2022, 04:52:43 PM »
When he came off at Brighton Gerrard gave him a quick arm around the shoulder and said a word or two; Luiz didn't look or seem to react but ploughed on to the bench like a kid in a strop. Maybe it was just disappointment, maybe it was nothing. But in case it wasn't: diddums mate!

Offline steamer

« Reply #2334 on: February 27, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »
Came as a great prospect,  I have been disappointed as I thought he had more potential.
Loses the ball in possession or through poor passing
Not sure if he is a creative goal scoring M/Fielder , how many goals has he scored ?
Does get petulant and liable to get booked
If some one wants him for 50 million I will chip in for the taxi and wish him well

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2335 on: February 27, 2022, 05:56:49 PM »
Thought he was very poor again yesterday.  When he feigned injury losing the ball in the middle of the park very embarrassing.  He looks a better prospect further up the field but totally unreliable.  I'm not a fan

Offline nigel

« Reply #2336 on: February 27, 2022, 06:05:38 PM »
He might very well be suffering fatigue, I don’t think he’s actually had a proper break from football since last season?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2337 on: February 27, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
He might very well be suffering fatigue, I don’t think he’s actually had a proper break from football since last season?

and the excuse for the first season he was at the Villa?  He's not going to turn us into a top 10 team.  Sorry about telling a home truth.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2338 on: February 27, 2022, 06:22:46 PM »
He’s a good player when he’s on it. He’s just too inconsistent. It might be because of fatigue but in truth his passing has always been suspect. I was glad that SG hooked him for that awful attempt at an easy pass as he needs to be aware it isn’t acceptable.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2339 on: February 27, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm at that point where I see absolutely no redeeming features with Douglas.  I hope for a massive upgrade in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal