collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 472954 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2010 on: November 19, 2021, 06:51:59 AM »
That’s bad news, he’s such a big player for us, not the same without him.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #2011 on: November 19, 2021, 07:43:46 AM »

I agree. I still find it unbelievable smith did not think we need a player in the middle. We all called it in the summer

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2012 on: November 19, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »
Was it Smith that made the call?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2013 on: November 19, 2021, 08:55:02 AM »
Is Gerrard still registered as a player I reckon he could still do a job.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2014 on: November 19, 2021, 09:14:23 AM »
Is out for brighton.

God not mcginn JJ and nakamba please

I would rather go with tuanzebe at dm than nakamba.

I dont think he will go with chuk and jj

Es un problema muy grande para StevieG

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2015 on: November 19, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »

I agree. I still find it unbelievable smith did not think we need a player in the middle. We all called it in the summer
Do you honestly think he did not know we need a player in the middle?  He's hardly going to say before the season starts 'our midfield is a bit shit' is he?

Same as he probably also thought we were desperately short up front in 19/20 and 20/21.  We seem to have a habit of leaving ourselves incredibly short in at least one position every season.  Hopefully Gerrard will kick the doors down and make sure he gets what he needs in the next windows.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2016 on: November 19, 2021, 09:33:22 AM »
We bid ridiculously low for two fine central midfielders and got neither, there was obviously a need identified but it wasn't met.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2017 on: November 19, 2021, 09:43:33 AM »
Indeed. The Ward-Prowse bid was so low it was like we were trolling Southampton.

Online LeeB

« Reply #2018 on: November 19, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
Indeed. The Ward-Prowse bid was so low it was like we were trolling Southampton.

I said it a few weeks back, but the parsimony was weird when we seemed to have done a Rick Parry "blow them out of the water" job with Buendia over Arsenal.

I'd have argued that Ward Prowse should have been the top target, that spot in midfield has been needed since we came up and only Barkley filled it for a few games before giving up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2019 on: November 19, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »

I said it a few weeks back, but the parsimony was weird when we seemed to have done a Rick Parry "blow them out of the water" job with Buendia over Arsenal.

I'd have argued that Ward Prowse should have been the top target, that spot in midfield has been needed since we came up and only Barkley filled it for a few games before giving up.

Yep. We seem to have paid massively over the odds for Buendia, when we'd have been much better off doing the same for Ward-Prowse. That's not to write Buendia off, but Ward-Prowse is far more Premier League-ready.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:47:47 AM by Risso »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2020 on: November 19, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »

Yep. We seem to have maid massively over the odds for Buendia, when we'd have been much better off doing the same for Ward-Prowse. That's not to write Buendia off, but Ward-Prowse is far more Premier League-ready.

Let’s hope the milk of human kindness of the owners spills over to the January transfer window.

Online LeeB

« Reply #2021 on: November 19, 2021, 10:49:23 AM »

Yep. We seem to have maid massively over the odds for Buendia, when we'd have been much better off doing the same for Ward-Prowse. That's not to write Buendia off, but Ward-Prowse is far more Premier League-ready.

Yes, and the other weird thing was that had we backed out of signing Buendia, our chances of signing Smith Rowe would have increased, he may have been less inclined to sign that deal had they bought in a new expensive player in his position.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2022 on: November 19, 2021, 10:49:27 AM »
Ward-Prowse still isn't the defensive midfielder that we need. Romeu does that job for Southampton and their stats without him in the team were pretty grim.

I wonder if it's giving Iroegbunam a go in that role.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2023 on: November 19, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »
We bid ridiculously low for two fine central midfielders and got neither, there was obviously a need identified but it wasn't met.

True but I don't think it's as simple as that. I suspect Bailey was the alternative to Smith-Rowe so for the CM/DM that we wanted JWP was the only player we went for. Given the links I suspect we scouted a fair few others though.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2024 on: November 19, 2021, 11:33:56 AM »
Ward-Prowse still isn't the defensive midfielder that we need. Romeu does that job for Southampton and their stats without him in the team were pretty grim.

I wonder if it's giving Iroegbunam a go in that role.

I sort of agree but I wonder if Smith saw the players we had as enough if they had someone leading the press/organising the midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal