collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:49:52 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:47:16 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:40:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:38:05 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 10:31:27 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494501 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #1710 on: May 30, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »
I'd prefer to see Luiz and Watkins remain.

But Jack and Martinez are the only players close to the irreplaceable category for me.

We know how hard it is to fill the GK position after years of uncertainty and inconsistency there.  And Jack's importance to the side needs no further explanation.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1711 on: June 01, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
They will exercise the clause i think as Pep likes him.

For me he is nowhere good enough to get in that  city team.

I rate luiz. He will get better. I hope we keep him

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1712 on: June 01, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
They will exercise the clause i think as Pep likes him.

For me he is nowhere good enough to get in that  city team.

I rate luiz. He will get better. I hope we keep him

What replace him with a manager who finished lower in the league

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1713 on: June 01, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »
Without knowing what the value of the clause is it's hard to say, I've seen 3 different numbers. I think he's worth £30-35m on the market (as a young player who is a regular for one of the top international teams).

If the clause is the £27.5m that's been mentioned then they can either take him back because Pep wants him in his squad or to sell on. If the clause is closer to the £35m that was being talked about before then I think the sell on option disappears.

If pep does want him then there's every chance they take it up but I still think it would depend on what role they're talking about for him. If they want him as cover then I think it gets messier because whilst they could force him to go back I don't know how that works out well for anyone. He just comes across as someone who really wants to play as many games as possible and I can't see him being happy to go from being a regular starter to being a bit part player.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1714 on: June 01, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
If he WERE to rejoin city, and because a bit-part player, could he lose his work-permit for any future transfers?  I mean, if he went to City, played 20 games over two years, and lost his place in the Brazil squad, would he automatically get a work permit if someone else wanted to sign him? Or is it a case of once you've got one, you're pretty much set until you stop playing?

I only ask as I wonder if that factors into Douglas' thinking, i.e. if I don't play regularly there are long-term consequences.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #1715 on: June 01, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »
I am quite relaxed about the whole Douglas Luiz situation. If he stays fine, if he goes fine. He is a decent player
and has improved this season but he hasn't blown me away in his time with us.

This for me.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1716 on: June 01, 2021, 04:04:47 PM »
If he does go, for either £25m or £35m, we've done quite well to come out up off a glorified loan deal in effect, after 2 years solid service that's helped establish us back in the top flight.

Would be a shame though because I think the best is yet to come from him.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1717 on: June 01, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
If he WERE to rejoin city, and because a bit-part player, could he lose his work-permit for any future transfers?  I mean, if he went to City, played 20 games over two years, and lost his place in the Brazil squad, would he automatically get a work permit if someone else wanted to sign him? Or is it a case of once you've got one, you're pretty much set until you stop playing?

I only ask as I wonder if that factors into Douglas' thinking, i.e. if I don't play regularly there are long-term consequences.
From how I've taken it - not playing regularly either domestically or for the national team would potentially mean losing a work permit, but only to the point where he'd basically not be playing for them at all. Even moderate progression in Europe would mean that playing 30% of domestic games and about the same percentage of games in Europe for a team who got past the group stage of the CL would be enough.

richtheholtender

« Reply #1718 on: June 01, 2021, 09:48:59 PM »
I am quite relaxed about the whole Douglas Luiz situation. If he stays fine, if he goes fine. He is a decent player
and has improved this season but he hasn't blown me away in his time with us.

This for me.

And me. Although I really don’t think plying him as a holding/defensive midfielder helps. I don’t think he’s particularly great a tackling, which you need to be, I don’t think he’s particularly great at breaking up the play or tracking men. It’s Marvellous every time in that position. I have always thought he was very good on the ball, good passer, should definitely be in the positions to shoot at goal more, so for these reasons should be further up the pitch. The signing of Sanson has probably put an end to them ideas though.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1719 on: June 01, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »
I think it would be a real blow to lose him. I think he’ll get better and better and I want to see his development in a Villa shirt.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1720 on: June 02, 2021, 04:15:48 AM »
Always had doubts about him being suited to a holding midfielder position, I believe he would be bettet value further forward.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1721 on: June 02, 2021, 08:40:50 AM »
Always had doubts about him being suited to a holding midfielder position, I believe he would be bettet value further forward.

Totally agree Robbo. It's why we need an absolutely brilliant holding midfielder to come in this summer, as it'll give Luiz (assuming he stays) and SJM the opportunity to play their natural games. Neither are very good as holding midfielders.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1722 on: June 02, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »
If he goes back, we'll have done well out of a glorified loan deal. Given our circumstances when we signed him, that in itself is a good bit of business.

However, I hope (and think) he'll stay. He's looked a decent enough player for where we are (mid table, pushing on top eight) - he's still young & likely to improve. I'm maybe one of a minority who thinks he's fine as a defensive midfielder. Our defensive record at least suggests that they're pretty good as a unit, so I'm not overly worried about their individual weaknesses. They'll all get better over time, maybe Mings being close to his peak but still, he's got a few years of that left.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1723 on: June 02, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
Personally I think he'd only go back to City if he was given guarantees he was in their plans, so this buy back to flog on theory doesn't hold water to me. He's an international who'd want Man City wages which straight away would probably cause problems for the 3rd party club unless they knew one of the big boys wanted him . Plus nobody likes being messed around like that

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1724 on: June 02, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »
He does simple things well, which can seem underwhelming.  He gets the ball and moves it quickly and, normally, accurately.  It's a skill.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal