collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 472770 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #915 on: January 29, 2020, 11:43:39 PM »
Brilliant last night, I thought. Took the game to them. Yeah, does things that betray his years, but I think he's going to be huge. We have to stay up.

Clearly a very talented player with the ball at his feet and did a lot of good things last night. But we can't afford in a two man midfield for one of them to be caught ahead of the ball as regularly as Luiz was last night. In the aftermath of a great win last night, it's easy to ignore for example the first 20 mins when our midfield was ran ragged.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #916 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:45 PM »
Brilliant last night, I thought. Took the game to them. Yeah, does things that betray his years, but I think he's going to be huge. We have to stay up.

Clearly a very talented player with the ball at his feet and did a lot of good things last night. But we can't afford in a two man midfield for one of them to be caught ahead of the ball as regularly as Luiz was last night. In the aftermath of a great win last night, it's easy to ignore for example the first 20 mins when our midfield was ran ragged.
Exactly I was saying the same thing, Defending covering and tackling does not come naturally to him.
He is a ball playing, carrying, passing midfielder.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #917 on: June 19, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
Douglas was very good the other night. He blended being a deep lying playmaker and being a shield for the defence really well. If he can keep this up, and Jack and SJM get up to speed quick we’ll have a chance.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #918 on: June 19, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »
I couldn't help but think when he picked up his booking for a cynical foul on the half way line, that we'd be a point better off if he'd done that against the Wolves. Still, he's learnt and looked good.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #919 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47:52 AM »
Douglas was very good the other night. He blended being a deep lying playmaker and being a shield for the defence really well. If he can keep this up, and Jack and SJM get up to speed quick we’ll have a chance.
Covered the midfield very well - IMO our best player on the night.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #920 on: June 19, 2020, 10:42:44 AM »
I thought what McGinn said about him coming back from the break seemingly having worked on his English a bit was a good sign, shows a bit of commitment to the cause.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #921 on: June 19, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
I think there are 2 things that get missed when people talk about him from this season. The first is that he's the youngest player in our first team squad and right now every game is a learning opportunity. As Ads said, in the wolves game he could've taken a yellow but didn't but on Wednesday he showed he learned from that. He's also playing a bit quicker than he was earlier in the season where he got caught on the ball a  few times. The talent was always there but now he's adding a bit of wisdom to it. I think he'll be a top player in a few years if he carries on as he is.

The 2nd issue is that he didn't get a pre-season at the club. The ridiculous delay in getting his work permit in the summer meant he only arrived for his first training session at the club a few days before the start of the season. That meant he missed out on a lot of the fitness work but also any technical and tactical work that the coaches wanted to embed early because by the time he was in training and settled we'd have been deep into the match preparation for Spurs. From there on most training will have been review and recovery early in the week and analysis as you get to the game so there's less chance to work on more general things with the whole team.

However the long break and mini preseason over the last month has given us and him a chance to catch up on some of that. The other positive is that training on his own last summer (and regularly over the last couple of years) meant he will have a better personal understanding of how to keep his fitness up. I'm basing that on the fact that, for me, he looked good because he was the sharpest looking player on the pitch. I hope that doesn't mean his impact will lessen as players catch up, if that doesn't happen then I think we can expect him to really step up from here, I think he could end up being a key player (as much as mings, mcginn and grealish) for us in the next 9 games.

Online LeeB

« Reply #922 on: June 19, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
Agreed Paul.

Online LeeB

« Reply #923 on: June 19, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
I think of Javier Mascherano when he went to West Ham when I think of Luiz.

He looked bang average, and couldn't get in the team ahead of Hayden Mullins, but we all saw what a player he went onto become.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #924 on: June 19, 2020, 11:34:54 AM »
I think of Javier Mascherano when he went to West Ham when I think of Luiz.

He looked bang average, and couldn't get in the team ahead of Hayden Mullins, but we all saw what a player he went onto become.

Yes good shout. I think he’s a real talent.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #925 on: June 19, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »
I've always liked Luiz because he clearly has talent and potential, and it was always likely that he'd take time to fully get the EPL game (for the reasons outlined by paul_e above). He looked fitter on Wednesday than at any time earlier in the season.
He and Hourihane were the surprises on Wednesday, and I really hope both continue to play and have impact.
Perhaps having a more organised defence helped these two midfielders, as much as they contributed to the defence's effectiveness.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #926 on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
I couldn't help but think when he picked up his booking for a cynical foul on the half way line, that we'd be a point better off if he'd done that against the Wolves. Still, he's learnt and looked good.

Can't even remember that incident? For the first goal Mings completely took out Adama but we still conceded as we forgot Neves is pretty good shooting from the edge of the box.

I think this lad will be tremendous player in a few years, can certainly see him going on upward trend like Gana, Veretout and Adama all have since leaving us.

He's young, been poor plenty of times but also been excellent in other games. Just someone we need to keep working with on the training pitch. An experienced holding midfield who dosen't have Drinkwater fitness levels to guide him wouldn't be a bad shout in the summer either.

Think he'll be playing for a champions league level club within 3-4 years. Compare that to Nakamba who I think is a very average defensive midfielder and his level with us is about right.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:56:19 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #927 on: June 19, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »
Yeah Douglas will end up being top drawer.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #928 on: June 19, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »
The Dingles second came about because Dougie didn't crunch Traore 40 yards from goal.

Online LeeB

« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »
The Dingles second came about because Dougie didn't crunch Traore 40 yards from goal.

Which is true, but McGinn giving a hospital pass to Taylor on the edge of their box was more culpable in my eyes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal