collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473071 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #765 on: October 25, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
There is no clause. And Man City will only be able to sign him if he gets a work permit. Unless he becomes a Brazil regular, that likely means they would have to have him among their highest-earning players. He'd have to be bloody good for that to happen.

The whole deal is a ruse anyway to keep them distracted from realising how good Marvellous is.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #766 on: October 25, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
I don't think Luiz is good enough for them as it stands, and don't think they'll be enforcing the buy back this year.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #767 on: October 25, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
Called up to the Brazil squad. Our first member of the Seleção since Nigel Reo-Coker, I believe.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #768 on: October 25, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
There is no clause. And Man City will only be able to sign him if he gets a work permit. Unless he becomes a Brazil regular, that likely means they would have to have him among their highest-earning players. He'd have to be bloody good for that to happen.

Have you seen his goals !!
Unbelievable and so effortless.
Love this guy he's class act

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #769 on: October 25, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »
I don't think Luiz is good enough for them as it stands, and don't think they'll be enforcing the buy back this year.

This will all change tomorrow.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #770 on: October 25, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »
So we have a member of the Brazilian national squad that hasn't started a game for over a month... =0

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #771 on: October 25, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
Brilliant news that.

I think I may have said this elsewhere but imo if we're to progress in next few years as a club back towards the top 6 we need to be signing players and getting them in the best international teams, hopefully Engels will get a call up to Belgium side for next round of games as apparently he was close to making the last few squads.

If players are seeing compatriots playing for a club and getting a call up then they'd be more convinced to come here.

If you look at Man. City in the early days they signed Zabaleta. I imagine him getting regular calls up for Argentina helped them get Aguero a few years later. Same when they signed David Silva and then had no problems signing more Spanish players.

Luiz is pretty highly rated in Brazil, captain of their Olympic team so always felt it was a possibility.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #772 on: October 25, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »
I agree that it's great to see. But has he honestly earned it?

Undoubtedly has huge talent and if Pep believes he's the next big thing then that's good enough for me, but on the basis of merit he's ultimately scored two absolute screamers and...... not a lot else.

Don't get me wrong, those were goals worthy of Der Hammer in his prime and arguably better, as there was some finesse involved, but he was purchased to be a DM and soak up that pressure that we just love to invite on our defence. Genuine question - has he done that at all?

Big game for him tomorrow if he plays. We'll see his worth no doubt, but for me he's hardly earned a call up to the national squad on the basis of his performances for us so far.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:55:52 PM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #773 on: October 25, 2019, 09:08:23 PM »
Perhaps he is being rewarded for good games for the under-21 side? The South Americans always seem to treat the younger age group internationals very seriously.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #774 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:07 PM »
Perhaps he is being rewarded for good games for the under-21 side? The South Americans always seem to treat the younger age group internationals very seriously.

Yes that's pretty much it. He's the under 23 captain which is also their Olympic side for Tokyo next year so good performances for them have been noted.

Also in the squad with him are Casemiro, Arthur and Fabiano so think he'll struggle to get much game time but it's pretty much a case of a player Brazil rate, he's getting minutes in the premier league so might aswell call him up and slowly integrate him given the World cup is still three years away.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #775 on: October 25, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
I believe they were also unable/unwilling to pick players who are based in Brazil due to it conflicting with the Brazilian league or something, so that possibly opened up an opportunity to have a look at Luiz.

Great for him personally though - hope he manages to get some game time.

Perhaps could have done without all the travel and missed training sessions to help him get back in our team though!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #776 on: October 28, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »
How did he do v City?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #777 on: October 30, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
How did he do v City?

A bit anonymous really.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #778 on: October 30, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
Most were

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #779 on: October 30, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »
Nearly scored with the rebound off the McGinn shot. Did VAR have a look at that or was it just discounted due to it being us?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal