collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473158 times)

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed
« Reply #480 on: July 26, 2019, 04:28:03 PM »
It’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world. He looks like he could be a great player for us, and you never know what will happen with regard to this buy back clause. After a decade of misery I can live with it!

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #481 on: July 26, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
I don't see the problem here. The only way City trigger the buy-back is if he has an outstanding season for us which hopefully equates to us being comfortably mid-table rather than fighting relegation all season. Our goal here is to become established in the upper echelons of the premier league and he may be a stepping stone to achieving this. I would be disappointed to lose an influential figure, but it's hardly fatal for us under these circumstances.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
My point is none of us know the specific details of the clause. It’s all speculation. And secondly, if Jack or Trezeguet or AEG have a brilliant year then what’s to stop Man City it anyone else coming in for them?

No, you're right, but to give the example of Jack, we managed to stop him leaving last summer.

In the case of Luiz we would be contractually obliged to sell him, and at a price we'd agreed in advance with another club.

I am not massively shitting myself over this, I'd still buy the player, but to suggest it doesn't matter when it has a legally defined impact on our future is wide of the mark.

Let's agree to revisit this in 12 months time, and see if they've called him back, and see what peoples' reactions are.

Might end up the other way - there was a fairly large chunk of the Paul Lambert thread where people were panicking about what we'd do when Dortmund inevitably tried to pinch him off us!

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #483 on: July 26, 2019, 05:43:59 PM »
Come on. It's a loan deal in all but name.

The BIG difference is, Man City are paying US to have him on loan. 😂

I can't see Villa being up for developing players for other clubs, Purslow ruled that kind of thing out. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #484 on: July 26, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
I reckon there is zero chance he'd be joining us without the clause, if he leaves in a year then it will be because he's played well enough that the best side in the country want him. If they do trigger the clause then i'd imagine most will be disappointed but will be smart enough to realise that without the clause he wouldn't have been here in the first place rather than saying it was a shit deal we negotiated.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #485 on: July 26, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
And if he does leave next year, chances are he will have played well enough to help keep us up - and if we're still up, we'll be in a better position to replace him.

Offline frank black

« Reply #486 on: July 26, 2019, 06:05:02 PM »
I think if we just treat him as a loan player in our expectations, we won’t all be too despondent when he goes back. I fully expect this to be a short term but very useful acquisition.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #487 on: July 26, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

I can't see Villa being up for developing players for other clubs, Purslow ruled that kind of thing out. 
There are so many variables here: Rodri may have a fantastic season for Citeh, and other holding MF there may also raise their game; Guardiola may go before any option-to-buy is activated; Luiz may not actually do very well with us; we might pay Citeh more to remove the buyback option.

Who knows?

I'm going to enjoy having two Brazilian players playing for us next season.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #488 on: July 26, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »

Is Marvelous his "understudy?"
   If Man City do take him back we have got a ready made replacement who has had a season to get up to speed with what is required to seamlessly slot into the vacant DM position

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #489 on: July 26, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
My point is none of us know the specific details of the clause. It’s all speculation. And secondly, if Jack or Trezeguet or AEG have a brilliant year then what’s to stop Man City it anyone else coming in for them?

No, you're right, but to give the example of Jack, we managed to stop him leaving last summer.

In the case of Luiz we would be contractually obliged to sell him, and at a price we'd agreed in advance with another club.

I am not massively shitting myself over this, I'd still buy the player, but to suggest it doesn't matter when it has a legally defined impact on our future is wide of the mark.

Let's agree to revisit this in 12 months time, and see if they've called him back, and see what peoples' reactions are.

Just to clarify my comment on whether it matters or not surrounded the fact that the deal is done and there’s just now an acceptance of what this deal is without knowing the specifics of it. So really it was me saying fuck it let’s enjoy him in a Villa kit and Jack and the rest for as long as we can. But it will be interesting to see this play out. Man City will want top players and if that means two years lighting it up for us then count me in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #490 on: July 26, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
I'm not overly happy about the suggested recall clause, but:

- Man City have some amazing players, and will presumably continue to buy other amazing players.  He's going to have be brilliant for us for them to want him back, and we'll have hopefully done very well on the back of him being that good.

- If they do call him back, we have a much better quality of squad now, and hopefully are now capable of attracting much better players.  Him going back therefore shouldn't be the same hole that we'd have had if Greaslish had gone to Spurs last year., for example.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
What I take from the alleged buy back clause is that Pep is massively fucked off having lost a player he likes. So good for us for as long as we have him.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »
I’m not particularly bothered by the buy back clause because if it’s activated it means he’s done well.
However, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s good enough for city - just that he’s worth more than whatever the buy back price is. Look at frankfurt and Jovic. They buy him off benfica for a pre determined amount and sell him straight away to Madrid for a profit. That is probably the most likely outcome for DL I reckon. Either way, means he’s done decent for us assuming the buy back is >£15m (see Angelino for a low city buyback recently)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
I’m not particularly bothered by the buy back clause because if it’s activated it means he’s done well.
However, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s good enough for city - just that he’s worth more than whatever the buy back price is. Look at frankfurt and Jovic. They buy him off benfica for a pre determined amount and sell him straight away to Madrid for a profit. That is probably the most likely outcome for DL I reckon. Either way, means he’s done decent for us assuming the buy back is >£15m (see Angelino for a low city buyback recently)

Yeah, but we're fucking loaded so we could just buy him at a higher price, without any clause.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #494 on: July 26, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »

Yeah, but we're fucking loaded so we could just buy him at a higher price, without any clause.

City probably wouldn’t have sold him without one

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal