collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England  (Read 156753 times)

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England
« Reply #1290 on: March 25, 2024, 01:34:45 PM »
Whilst I understand that, I would still prefer Konsa not to play on Tuesday and risk himself in a friendly when we have potentially lost Cash the same week. Shame he couldn't get a "knock" like Saka and others suddenly have. I see Maguire is the latest to withdraw.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1291 on: March 25, 2024, 01:39:35 PM »
Whilst I understand that, I would still prefer Konsa not to play on Tuesday and risk himself in a friendly when we have potentially lost Cash the same week. Shame he couldn't get a "knock" like Saka and others suddenly have. I see Maguire is the latest to withdraw.

Exactly. It's more of an issue now where we are vulnerable and trying to cling on to a position we desperately need to get.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1292 on: March 25, 2024, 01:51:49 PM »
Konsa must be feeling fantastic after making his England Debut and as he described it being "the highlight of his career"

Based on his performances over the last few seasons it is well deserved.

Hopefully he plays Tuesday and gets in the squad for the Euro's in the summer.

Online Skerra

« Reply #1293 on: March 25, 2024, 01:55:32 PM »
The thing is that people like Maguire can pull out at anytime, knowing Southgate will pick them again next time out. Feel a bit for Ezri as the chances are that he’ll not get picked once Southgate has his favourites back for selection. Same goes for Ollie. So really, they’re just risking getting injured for no future gain.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1294 on: March 25, 2024, 01:59:11 PM »
Unfortunately for us, I suspect Konsa will be playing most, if not all the match on Tuesday. I would have preferred the rest for both him and Watkins.
No way Ezri is good enough to take care of Openda on Tuesday. I think Hendo can do a better job at centre back with his enormous versatility.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1295 on: March 25, 2024, 02:01:26 PM »
I wonder if Southgate has thought about playing a similar way to Villa i.e. having a right back who can play as a third centre back when we're in possession and push Chilwell or Shaw forwards (I know both Chilwell and Shaw are either injured or in shocking form, just raising a question about tactics).

He pretty much does already. Walker hardly pushes forward for England from what I've seen. Keeps another body back and man marks the likes of Mbappe. Even for Man City these days, maybe with his legs going, Walker tends to sit in a lot more with likes of Stones stepping into midfield instead. Don't think likes of TAA would have any chance under Southgate.

As much as there are justifiable sticks to beat Southgate, I can understand why he would want numbers to be kept back. There isn't an obvious partner for Rice to protect that defence, Maguire can't play high and question marks over the fitness of Stones and particularly Shaw to last the tournament. Wouldn't be surprised if Tripper played a good bit at left back in the Euros.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1296 on: March 25, 2024, 02:03:09 PM »
Trippier's legs have gone.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1297 on: March 25, 2024, 02:04:10 PM »
The thing is that people like Maguire can pull out at anytime, knowing Southgate will pick them again next time out. Feel a bit for Ezri as the chances are that he’ll not get picked once Southgate has his favourites back for selection. Same goes for Ollie. So really, they’re just risking getting injured for no future gain.

Agreed, they feel like they're there just to plug a gap, with no real intent of properly integrating them into the squad.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #1298 on: March 25, 2024, 02:04:47 PM »
Don't think likes of TAA would have any chance under Southgate.

He will just play him in midfield because Klopp has tried it once or twice in matches.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #1299 on: March 25, 2024, 02:14:54 PM »

I said exactly the same about Douglas Bader.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #1300 on: March 25, 2024, 02:17:29 PM »
Were you one of the guards at the POW camp then?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #1301 on: March 25, 2024, 02:24:26 PM »

Nein.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1302 on: March 25, 2024, 07:17:35 PM »

Nein.

If you were, you'd have been saying "Bader's legs have come back" as they let the RAF drop a spare pair in to him whilst in his POW camp.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1304 on: March 26, 2024, 09:40:08 AM »

He wouldn't be required to push forward much under Southgate so should be ok. Good for the set pieces too. Chilwell can't defend and I'm not sure there's any other option for left back.

Think England had a much better balanced squad at the last Euros. Very reliant on likes of Rice, Bellingham and Kane this time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal