collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England  (Read 156789 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Ezri Konsa - signed
« Reply #1005 on: November 13, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »
It's not that Southgate never picks certain players or never will, it's just that they'll have more hoops to jump through than those he's earmarked, often not based on much, as a favourite.

A lot of it is based on who they play for.

Not all, but yes, a lot. Eze, in my view, has done more to get into a squad than Lewis.

Offline boutrosboutrosgnarly

« Reply #1006 on: November 13, 2023, 09:22:45 PM »
Notable how Rico Lewis of Man City gets a call up to the full squad, despite having only played about 20 times in the Premier League.
No doubt its due to my own ignorance as I don't take much interest in other teams unless we are playing them, bit I have never heard of Rico Lewis.Anyway congrats Ezri fully deserved.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1007 on: November 13, 2023, 11:07:09 PM »
It's not that Southgate never picks certain players or never will, it's just that they'll have more hoops to jump through than those he's earmarked, often not based on much, as a favourite.

A lot of it is based on who they play for.

Not all, but yes, a lot. Eze, in my view, has done more to get into a squad than Lewis.

That’s the shit that pisses people off. What are the chances however good he is, does Lewis get into the full England squad if he played for Brentford, Wolves, us etc. It’s zero. Southgate has fully bought into he has played or plays for Man City so must be great. It’s pathetic and it’s transparent. Eze has been excellent for a while, much like Konsa and doesn’t get a look.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #1008 on: November 14, 2023, 02:25:47 AM »
Southgate has talked before now about the importance of playing at a higher level, meaning the Champions League. But when someone like Henderson does the polar opposite, it makes no difference and he's still picked every time.

Then he tells certain players (Ramsdale recently) that they need regular football if he's going to pick him, while continuing to pick players like Phillips and Maguire when he was being frozen out at United.

At this point Southgate's a charicature of himself.

I'd say Southgate regularly makes a charcuterie of himself.

His goose isn't cooked yet.

He really can be a silly sausage sometimes.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1009 on: November 14, 2023, 07:25:39 AM »
Southgate has really given himself an issue next summer.  We've got arguably the two best England players now absolutely killing it in Germany and Spain respectively, plus the strength of the Premier League. There is absolutely no reason why an England squad shouldn't be winning tournaments.  If he's not picking good enough players, or not playing to their strengths, then that's entirely on him.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1010 on: November 14, 2023, 08:50:07 AM »
There is absolutely no reason why an England squad shouldn't be winning tournaments

France having a better squad than England is one such reason. But sure, a meek quarter-final exit to Spain or Belgium would definitely be a failure this time. A narrow defeat to France in the final though would be pretty much par.

Southgate will be gone after this tournament either way though in my opinion.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1011 on: November 14, 2023, 11:57:34 AM »
About time he got the call up. Wonder if he will get any minutes?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1012 on: November 14, 2023, 12:01:55 PM »
There is absolutely no reason why an England squad shouldn't be winning tournaments

France having a better squad than England is one such reason. But sure, a meek quarter-final exit to Spain or Belgium would definitely be a failure this time. A narrow defeat to France in the final though would be pretty much par.

Definitely.  Think the timing will work with Eddie Howe being sacked at Newcastle and taking over after the Euros.

Online AV84

« Reply #1013 on: November 14, 2023, 12:56:32 PM »
Colwill has pulled out of the squad with injury now too. Maguire and TAA training in the gym separate to the squad (injury?).

Small chance Konsa might actually see some action now?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1014 on: November 14, 2023, 01:24:29 PM »
]
nailed on for Crystal Palace, I would think.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1015 on: November 14, 2023, 03:21:49 PM »
As someone said on the radio a while ago. If we win anything at National level it will be in spite of him not because of him.

Both recent "near" misses were lost due to his lack of tactics and bottle.

Palace would be ideal as they are as dull and as unimaginative as he is

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1016 on: November 14, 2023, 04:14:07 PM »
As someone said on the radio a while ago. If we win anything at National level it will be in spite of him not because of him.

Both recent "near" misses were lost due to his lack of tactics and bottle.

Palace would be ideal as they are as dull and as unimaginative as he is

I’m no great lover of Southgate, but that’s a pretty unbalanced position to take. So if we win it’s in spite of him, but if we don’t I’m sure it’ll be down to him. I think he’s lost his way in terms of what his principles were a bit, but he’s done a big job in turning England around. They were, and had been, a basket case when he came in. There were still a lot of talented players in the previous era, but he improved the culture. It’s a bit ridiculous not to acknowledge he’s achieved a fair bit.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1017 on: November 14, 2023, 04:16:07 PM »
]
nailed on for Crystal Palace, I would think.

Wouldn't surprise me if he skipped club management and moved into some sort of senior FA role.

He definitely should, as while he's clearly very good at the pastoral stuff that you need at international football he'd be ripped apart in club football.

If he does give it a go though, Palace would be the obvious as you've said. Reckon he'd last about four months.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1018 on: November 14, 2023, 04:21:31 PM »
Perception is everything though.

He has turned the culture around by creating more of a “club culture” in the squad. The trouble is he’s now transformed that into a clique by continually picking players who either aren’t playing regularly or playing in sub standard football. I admire his loyalty to payers who haven’t let him down previously but he’s created a massive rod for his own back. The ultimate issue though is he’s just not a good enough coach and the brains trust he has around him doesn’t lead me to believe we’re going to be troubling the trophy engravers anytime soon.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1019 on: November 14, 2023, 04:24:17 PM »
Kozra comes across as a very softly spoken young man in his England interview on Sky Sports News...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal