collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343777 times)

Offline Goldenballs

Re: VAR
« Reply #2715 on: February 21, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »
If Martinez didn't move and it flew into the top corner, then he and the rest of our team ran and surround the ref, I'm pretty sure it would've been ruled out.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2716 on: February 22, 2023, 10:31:11 AM »
Arsenal  second goal from the short corner ,lad said possible offside from the actual corner kick, looking at it many times it looks like the linesman more concentrated on the ball
You can't be offside from a corner.

"Some Villa fans questioned a possible offside on the short corner which led to Arsenal's second goal, but you cannot be offside from the first play of a corner routine."

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2717 on: February 22, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »
Arsenal  second goal from the short corner ,lad said possible offside from the actual corner kick, looking at it many times it looks like the linesman more concentrated on the ball
You can't be offside from a corner.

"Some Villa fans questioned a possible offside on the short corner which led to Arsenal's second goal, but you cannot be offside from the first play of a corner routine."

Yep, this one is pretty simple, you can't be offside if you're behind the ball and you're automatically behind the ball when a corner is taken (because despite the option to physically move the ball around in the quadrant it's considered to be on the goalline in the laws).

The 'real' 2nd controversy that everyone has forgotten is that Saka should've been sent off for his challenge on Moreno. Take him out of the game with us leading 2-1 and I think it would've had a massive impacts on the result, especially given how important he was for them in the 15-20 minutes after half time.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2718 on: February 22, 2023, 11:28:07 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned the body check on Mings in the corner that led to the 4th. The Arse defender runs into him which takes all momentum from Mings causing him to slip. As the ball fell into the area Mings would have been attacking and he wasn't there, they then had the players to control and break.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2719 on: April 05, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »
I know the majority probably still hate it, but for me that's why we HAVE to have VAR.

I still think the way it is implemented is massively flawed (eg a ref should always re watch a controversial decision - not be called over like a naughty schoolboy) but I think it is getting better.

You can say bad decisions are swings and roundabouts, but two points and the red for Ollie could, theoretically, have been the difference between us qualifying for Europe or not.  How could that possibly be right when it is so easy to double check?

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #2720 on: April 05, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »
It can be easy to forget the times that VAR gets the job done. It's not perfect but I'd rather have it than not. I'd be fuming this morning if that had gone against us.

Was Ollie sent off initially? Flashscore had it as a yellow that got rescinded

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2721 on: April 05, 2023, 09:30:44 AM »
It can be easy to forget the times that VAR gets the job done. It's not perfect but I'd rather have it than not. I'd be fuming this morning if that had gone against us.

Was Ollie sent off initially? Flashscore had it as a yellow that got rescinded

I thought it was a red at first but turns out it was a yellow.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2722 on: April 05, 2023, 09:32:39 AM »
I read this morning it was a red, but not 100% sure

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2723 on: April 05, 2023, 09:35:50 AM »
Looked like a yellow.

You can shoot me down but I still don't want VAR. I stayed rooted in my seat for Ollie's goal because it looked like a tight offside that would be checked. I'd swap the odd poor decision for the ability to properly celebrate a goal.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2724 on: April 05, 2023, 09:37:42 AM »
I've always thought that the issue was in implementation. Other countries managed to avoid some of the problems we had, for instance thicker lines to avoid offside calls being so officious. We by contrast inflicted on ourselves all kinds of weird piddling pedantries to abide by, which was needless.

The reality is we should've been able to do video review for about 30 years now, given the number of cameras and angles and so on, and it's interesting to think how football history might've been different had we had it (Ireland at the 2010 World Cup, for instance).

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2725 on: April 05, 2023, 09:38:41 AM »
the ref got that penalty decision so wrong yesterday but the official leicester website match report is something else

That wasn't the last flashpoint. The ball bobbled up in Villa's area. Barnes ran onto it. Daka got to the loose ball and Watkins bundled him down, stopping him from converting easily. Referee Graham Scott pointed to the spot, but it wouldn't ever be struck. VAR instructed Scott to consult the pitchside screens. He reversed his decision. No penalty and no points for the Foxes.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2726 on: April 05, 2023, 09:51:31 AM »
Looked like a yellow.

You can shoot me down but I still don't want VAR. I stayed rooted in my seat for Ollie's goal because it looked like a tight offside that would be checked. I'd swap the odd poor decision for the ability to properly celebrate a goal.
It felt like a proper celebration where I was standing.  So did Berties.  Give me the correct decision every time.

Offline danno

« Reply #2727 on: April 05, 2023, 09:58:22 AM »
Looked like a yellow.

It felt like a proper celebration where I was standing.  So did Berties.  Give me the correct decision every time.

Your mind is made up. Id just point out that VAR has shown on numerous occasions that it can equally get things wrong and fail to overturn incorrect decisions too.
And If the best argument is that “it gets more than it gets right” well so do referees.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2728 on: April 05, 2023, 10:02:54 AM »
Looked like a yellow.

Your mind is made up. Id just point out that VAR has shown on numerous occasions that it can equally get things wrong and fail to overturn incorrect decisions too.
And If the best argument is that “it gets more than it gets right” well so do referees.
But the no of right decisions is multiplied then isn't it?

I still think there's a long way to go in implementation.  But I now think they have got the offside approach broadly right, once the semi automatic offside is introduced I don't think we'll look back with nostalgic fondness on shit offside decisions.

The open play bit still needs work, but it's getting much better.

Offline danno

« Reply #2729 on: April 05, 2023, 10:06:54 AM »
Looked like a yellow.

But the no of right decisions is multiplied then isn't it?

I still think there's a long way to go in implementation.  But I now think they have got the offside approach broadly right, once the semi automatic offside is introduced I don't think we'll look back with nostalgic fondness on shit offside decisions.

The open play bit still needs work, but it's getting much better.

Ha! Yes if it’s deemed “wrong enough” to look at.
It’s here to stay though, so *shrugs*

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal