collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343383 times)

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #2145 on: December 07, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
For offside, I’d like to see the assistant referee give it, let play continue and allow the equivalent of Umpire’s Call in the VAR review if the technology thinks it’s close. So hopefully getting rid of the offside-by-a-toenail.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2146 on: December 07, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
For offside, I’d like to see the assistant referee give it, let play continue and allow the equivalent of Umpire’s Call in the VAR review if the technology thinks it’s close. So hopefully getting rid of the offside-by-a-toenail.

They seem to be quite happy to make players run 60 yards and challenge each other when everyone can see there's an obvious clear offside in every other game I watch.

It only seems to be in our games that the ref can't wait to blow his whistle to rule the technology out.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2147 on: December 07, 2021, 11:52:55 PM »
Two days on still think the way they used VAR on Sunday was disgusting, showing Oliver that one slo-mo & freeze frame shot completely changed the context of the incident, not in a million years did Schmeichel have control of the ball or was applying any pressure to it when Ramsey scored.  Clear & obvious errors not re-refereeing games playing at being clever dicks!  Sure there is more debate about decisions since this farcical system was introduced than before

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2148 on: December 08, 2021, 12:30:06 PM »
The rule says nothing about applying pressure. Ramsey might have been unlucky that he didn't get to the ball half a second earlier but the decision was ultimately correct.

The bigger issue was the ref deciding not to use VAR for the Ollie/Evans incident.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2149 on: December 08, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
Jesus! I thought we stopped treating football fans as animals at the end of the 80s.
Show me a rugby game in the last 30 years, anwhere in the world, where there has been violence like at the Euro final.  Of frankly any violence of any note in the crowd whatsoever.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2150 on: December 08, 2021, 02:09:35 PM »
In terms of interestingness, it goes

Rugby < VAR < football

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2151 on: December 08, 2021, 02:17:33 PM »
In terms of interestingness, it goes

Rugby < VAR < football
Perhaps.  Not really the point though is it?  This was in reference to showing controversial decisions on the screens within the stadium.  Football fans tend to be a lot more volotile so I can understand the reticence.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2152 on: December 08, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »
The rule says nothing about applying pressure. Ramsey might have been unlucky that he didn't get to the ball half a second earlier but the decision was ultimately correct.

The bigger issue was the ref deciding not to use VAR for the Ollie/Evans incident.

I didn't think they did decide whether or not to get VAR involved. My understanding was that VAR looks at penalty box, goal and red card incidents regardless of any instruction from on the field.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2153 on: December 08, 2021, 03:36:29 PM »

I didn't think they did decide whether or not to get VAR involved. My understanding was that VAR looks at penalty box, goal and red card incidents regardless of any instruction from on the field.

The ref made the decision when he blew his whistle. At that point VAR couldn't do anything. Had the onfield ref let it go, he could've checked VAR afterwards. That was the mistake.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2154 on: December 08, 2021, 04:30:10 PM »

The ref made the decision when he blew his whistle. At that point VAR couldn't do anything. Had the onfield ref let it go, he could've checked VAR afterwards. That was the mistake.
The mistake is the system.  In a sensible system he could let it go and then taken a look himself or asked for assistance, no obligation either way.  In the current system by letting it go it will only be overturned by way of a 'clear and obvious' error - ie the benefit of the doubt moves to the attacker.  He clearly felt it was a foul and didn't want that to happen.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #2155 on: December 08, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

Didn't the final wording in the official rules show that the decision wasn't ultimately correct?

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2156 on: December 08, 2021, 08:12:11 PM »

Didn't the final wording in the official rules show that the decision wasn't ultimately correct?

I don't think so. Where did you see/hear that?

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2157 on: December 08, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »
That one hand could pin the ball to a surface except if the 'keeper had made a save/ parried the ball.  So rather as Schmeichel did by saving the ball parrying it adn then falling down woth one hand on the ball.  'Except' if the keeper has made a save or parried the ball.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2158 on: December 08, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
That one hand could pin the ball to a surface except if the 'keeper had made a save/ parried the ball.  So rather as Schmeichel did by saving the ball parrying it adn then falling down woth one hand on the ball.  'Except' if the keeper has made a save or parried the ball.

Jesus! Don't listen to Micah Richards!!!

The 'except' bit in the rule is there to say that if the keeper makes a save, it doesn't mean the ball is under control. But having the ball in his hands or having the ball between a hand and a surface is under control.

When refs get a matter of fact wrong the PGMOL normally come out and say so, but there's been no such comment since Sunday.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2159 on: December 08, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
It was whatsisface the prestenter that raised the issue.  Regardless, we won the game.  It is, however, symptomatic of vague and poor legislation that is allowing for the game to be slowed to a crawl.  Video is handled better in just about every other sport in which it is used.  That is a fact.  It is a clunky and divisive system that is creating more ill feeling than it is solving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal