collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343583 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »
If you're offside, you're offside. I couldn't give a fig by how much it is.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2021, 04:02:25 PM »

But the only way this can possibly work is if we go back to the situation where a player is only offside if there is a clear gap between the striker and the last defender - there isn't, and can never be, a precise moment where a pass is made to the degree the current system requires and is interpreting the offside law.  It almost becomes a philosophical debate at that point!

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1832 on: January 06, 2021, 04:32:57 PM »
Do you mean you are happy for someone to be offside by there elbow or finger like we’re seeing now?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1833 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »

But the only way this can possibly work is if we go back to the situation where a player is only offside if there is a clear gap between the striker and the last defender - there isn't, and can never be, a precise moment where a pass is made to the degree the current system requires and is interpreting the offside law.  It almost becomes a philosophical debate at that point!

Exactly.  Say a player like Jack stops the ball dead, and then passes it 2 seconds later to Watkins. At what point is VAR doing their line drawing? When there's a mm of daylight between ball and foot? How on earth can they physically ascertain that?

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1834 on: January 06, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »
If you're going to measure it, then you have to do that accurately. If you don't want questionable or immoral offsides, no fucking end of pissing about with definitions of body parts and ball playing and line width is going to eradicate them while you've still got them being measured. You can't measure it a bit.

I'm long standing in my opinion of var that it would be, is, and shall continue to be a massive sack of shit. I'd rather see one shot a decade slam back off the inside of a stanchion and not be given than the fucking crap that's now inflicted upon me.

You'll have to excuse the profanities, they reflect my strength of feeling on this subject.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #1835 on: January 06, 2021, 05:08:18 PM »
The original point of the offside rule was to stop attackers gaining an advantage and it still should be. If part of the attacker's body is offside by a margin which can only be determined by use of geometry and 5 minutes of match time and all based on a guess as to when the ball was actually kicked; he surely can't be reasonably said to have gained any advantage.
If they think a decision is wrong and ask the pitch referee to look at it again and HE decides what happens next, I can just about see its merits (Pogba's dive would have been exposed etc.). That really is the limit of its use though. Otherwise fuck the whole thing off.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1836 on: January 07, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
The offside law states that to be offside you must be ahead of the last defender when the ball is played. The crucial part here is "when the ball is played" Is it judged from the first contact with the ball or the point where contact is broken? That's the first problem. If they're going to be so forensically pedantic that they draw lines everywhere to get pinpoint accuracy then it stands to reason that they have to be just as precise as to when the ball is played. Anything else is just a guess.They can not do this so those people who say "well offside is offside no matter how small the margin is" need to have a rethink.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:19:08 PM by The Edge »

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #1837 on: January 07, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »
The original point of the offside rule was to stop attackers gaining an advantage and it still should be. If part of the attacker's body is offside by a margin which can only be determined by use of geometry and 5 minutes of match time and all based on a guess as to when the ball was actually kicked; he surely can't be reasonably said to have gained any advantage.
If they think a decision is wrong and ask the pitch referee to look at it again and HE decides what happens next, I can just about see its merits (Pogba's dive would have been exposed etc.). That really is the limit of its use though. Otherwise fuck the whole thing off.

Hallelujah! Why it's not implemented like this is beyond me.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #1838 on: January 14, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »
Interesting comments from Mark Clattenburg on his take on Man US diving team.  Specifically on Pogba versus Villa "There was slight contact from Villa's Douglas Luiz but Pogba tripped himself causing the fall.  I would have waved play on.  I was very surprised that VAR did not recommend a pitch side review"

Bugger all use to us now though!

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1839 on: January 15, 2021, 01:55:27 AM »
Hmmmmm.

Clattenberg talking about shit refereeing decisions!

I think my Ironyometer has just exploded.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1840 on: January 15, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
Hmmmmm.

Clattenberg talking about shit refereeing decisions!

I think my Ironyometer has just exploded.

I'm with you on  this one dcdavecollett.  A poor referee not as bad as that first Uriah Rennie but on them lines.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1841 on: January 20, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »
It’s corrupt, I’m absolutely convinced of it.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1842 on: January 20, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
It doesn't work.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1843 on: January 20, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »
Mings should have wellied it but to be tackled by a player who was 10 yards offside is bollocks. That’s interfering with play.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1844 on: January 20, 2021, 08:09:37 PM »
FFP and VAR protect the product.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal