collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343413 times)

Offline ez

Re: VAR
« Reply #1590 on: November 22, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
It looked to me like whoever was operating the referees replay gave priority to showing the defender getting a touch on the ball and not what happened after. It looked like it just showed the defenders touch on the ball then too soon after it rewound to show it again. The camera angle shown was also selected with this in mind.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1591 on: November 22, 2020, 10:01:47 AM »
I didn't watch the game live, all I've seen is the slow motion clip after the event but when I saw it I genuinely thought "fair enough". He barely, barely touches him. The dive is embarrassing. I get those have been given and this was in real time but I don't think we've been hard done to there.

I said at the time that reaction did us no favours at all. If he’d dropped straight to the ground then who knows, but the theatrical leap and scream was embarrassing. It’s what he does, and he’s done ii since he’s been here.

I’m saying this as someone who’s been really impressed by Trez since the restart last season, it’s just a part of his game that I hate.

Unfortunately it is part of the game nowadays. Players do it all the time. Salah is probably one of the best examples. Jack exaggerated the foul for the red card yesterday too. It almost completely irrelevant to whether it is a foul or not.

Also, sadly, it’s become almost necessary is some cases. Sterling last week for example, stays on his feet, no foul is given and Liverpool go up the other end and get a penalty. Can understand why players do it as infuriating as it is at times.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1592 on: November 22, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »
Simple question: if the foul committed by Solly March and the one committed on Gallagher at Old Triffid had happened outside the box, would a foul have been given? - Almost certainly, YES.

That's where the inconsistency lies in all this.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1593 on: November 22, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
Absolutely right Mister E, anywhere else on the pitch it was a foul and you wouldn’t even need VAR to determine it.

What’s stupid as someone else said earlier if the ref would have missed it he would have recommended by VAR to give the penalty. It’s absolutely bollocks.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #1594 on: November 22, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
I didn't watch the game live, all I've seen is the slow motion clip after the event but when I saw it I genuinely thought "fair enough". He barely, barely touches him. The dive is embarrassing. I get those have been given and this was in real time but I don't think we've been hard done to there.

I said at the time that reaction did us no favours at all. If he’d dropped straight to the ground then who knows, but the theatrical leap and scream was embarrassing. It’s what he does, and he’s done ii since he’s been here.

I’m saying this as someone who’s been really impressed by Trez since the restart last season, it’s just a part of his game that I hate.

Unfortunately it is part of the game nowadays. Players do it all the time. Salah is probably one of the best examples. Jack exaggerated the foul for the red card yesterday too. It almost completely irrelevant to whether it is a foul or not.

Also, sadly, it’s become almost necessary is some cases. Sterling last week for example, stays on his feet, no foul is given and Liverpool go up the other end and get a penalty. Can understand why players do it as infuriating as it is at times.

If Jack had fallen to the ground after he was kicked in the chest by the Belgian defender after his sublime flick and turn, the defender would have had a second yellow (at least) and have been sent off.

Offline ez

« Reply #1595 on: November 22, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »
With the decision in our game and in the one at Newton Heath a precedent has been set and it will be interesting to see what happens in future games. The idea that if you get the ball then it isn't a foul went out with Saint and Greavsie but seems to have returned this weekend.

I see trouble ahead.....

I think that's exactly what happened.  He called the foul first time around, correctly in my opinion, then reversed it purely because he realised the defender touched the  ball. It's still a foul on Trez though whether he touched the ball or not.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1596 on: November 22, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »
To me the whole system just magnifies the unconscious bias by officials (or anyone). You have the basics which hopefully VAR should get right, but anything down to interpretation of the rules rather than the rules is more open to abuse than before because the people making the decision are in their comfy studio miles away and don't have to listen to angry players/fans etc., and don't get that on the spot pointer from the player's reactions that the ref does. Also its turning our referees into cowards - none of them stick to their guns once VAR hints they may be wrong and of course when they do change their decision they just go "not me guv, VAR init" to the players. As I've said before, its like playing Subutteo against yourself - however much you try to be neutral, the team you like wins.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:11:27 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #1597 on: November 22, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
Can’t find anyone who knows anything about football who thinks that wasn’t a penalty to Villa yesterday, although some paid pundits (like Shearer) are taking the toadying line (they never know when they might need a job!).
Below is a typical opinion from my Liverpool supporting Scouse mate in Nottingham:-

The defender’s foot was heading for where the ball had been (mistimed tackle) and the ball only glanced off his leg by chance not intention. The Villa player was kicked in the shin by the follow through of the defender. Foul.
I think Oliver followed the strict interpretation of a rule purely to keep him on the UEFA list. You’re right Malc - he’s a twat.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #1598 on: November 22, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
And my niece’s Chelsea supporting partner:-

Yeah he fucked up. Even though there was a slight touch on the ball, your man was gonna reach the loose ball first had he not been kicked. Brighton defender was completely out of control of the situation. Penalty

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1599 on: November 22, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »
Can’t find anyone who knows anything about football who thinks that wasn’t a penalty to Villa yesterday
I had a quick look at a BHA forum last night, and they were of the opinion that 99% of people with eyes agreed it wasn't a penalty, and that we're the second most deluded set of fans in the country, only surpassed by Leeds.

Edit: ah, sorry, just noticed you specified, "anyone who knows anything about football", when I was referencing irrelevant tinpotters.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:42:50 PM by Lastfootstamper »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1600 on: November 22, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »
There's also nothing in the official rules about touching the ball then subsequently fouling the player, meaning that it's not a foul.  Anywhere else on the pitch and that's gets blown up as a foul 99.99% of the time.
I just can't understand what's so difficult about it. Oliver and VAR fucked up. A player accidently manages to get a touch on the ball after being soundly beaten and fouls the attacker. This is not OK and is an offence  and should be a free kick.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1601 on: November 22, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
I’ve just seen it and the defender just got lucky with the touch on the ball. He’d been done all ends up by Trez and but for the slightest touch on the ball it’s a pen.
We’ve just been done on a stupid technicality.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1602 on: November 22, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
There never seems to be any nuance or balance with the management of VAR, from not referring the ref to the pitchside monitor at all last season, it's seemingly done for every decision now.
The Pepe sending off is a great example. It was cut and dried as soon as the replay was shown, did they really think that Taylor might have a different view?

Online luke95

« Reply #1603 on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:44 PM »
There never seems to be any nuance or balance with the management of VAR, from not referring the ref to the pitchside monitor at all last season, it's seemingly done for every decision now.
The Pepe sending off is a great example. It was cut and dried as soon as the replay was shown, did they really think that Taylor might have a different view?
I think they got that spot on to be fair . It has to be the on pitch ref who makes the final decision.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1604 on: November 23, 2020, 09:56:33 AM »
Anyone got a link to the engels tackle on son from last season?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal