collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343493 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #1575 on: November 22, 2020, 12:53:05 AM »
It was the same ref today who didn't send Pickford off against Liverpool.  Was that a correct decision Adam?  Does PGMOL's lack of public censure for Oliver afterwards mean it was the correct decision?  Pickford should have at the very least got a booking for a reckless tackle, but most observers agreed that it should have been a red for a dangerous tackle with unnecessary force that put his opponent at risk.

In any case, VAR is supposed to overturn clear and obvious errors.  Whatever you think, the decision wasn't clearly and obviously wrong, so the penalty decision should have stood.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1576 on: November 22, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »
It was the same ref today who didn't send Pickford off against Liverpool.  Was that a correct decision Adam?  Does PGMOL's lack of public censure for Oliver afterwards mean it was the correct decision?  Pickford should have at the very least got a booking for a reckless tackle, but most observers agreed that it should have been a red for a dangerous tackle with unnecessary force that put his opponent at risk.

In any case, VAR is supposed to overturn clear and obvious errors.  Whatever you think, the decision wasn't clearly and obviously wrong, so the penalty decision should have stood.

What on earth are you on about?  Pickford should've been sent off for endangering the safety of an opponent - as per the rules.  That's got sod all to do with what happened today.

But I will agree that the idea of VAR being used to correct clear and obvious errors continues to be a load of old shite.  As has been proven by the millimetre offside decisions since VAR was introduced, that concept has only ever existed in name only.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1577 on: November 22, 2020, 01:08:07 AM »
Pickford should have been sent off, but wasn't.  The same ref then overturned our penalty when a foul had been committed in the area.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1578 on: November 22, 2020, 01:09:53 AM »
I don't know if Ad@m himself thought it was the right decision, but he is correct in saying that it was the reason that the referee gave for overturning it. He mouthed it at the time, I'm assuming out loud so that the players could hear, and did that ball motion with his hands.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1579 on: November 22, 2020, 01:18:44 AM »
With the decision in our game and in the one at Newton Heath a precedent has been set and it will be interesting to see what happens in future games. The idea that if you get the ball then it isn't a foul went out with Saint and Greavsie but seems to have returned this weekend.

I see trouble ahead.....

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1580 on: November 22, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
I'd change your 'get' to 'touch', Nev. He didn't get it, he missed the challenge he went for, it touched him as an attacker played it back past him.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1581 on: November 22, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
I think the following memo has gone out to all referees..

“It has been noticed that pitch side reviews have yet to see a decision overturned. This has to stop with immediate effect as we are being made to look very stupid. All referees should practice their imaginary drawing of a TV  while running onto the pitch.”

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1582 on: November 22, 2020, 08:17:18 AM »
I'd change your 'get' to 'touch', Nev. He didn't get it, he missed the challenge he went for, it touched him as an attacker played it back past him.

That’s the key bit for me. It’s hit him on the shin as Trezeguet cut the ball back. The touch on the player was much more significant than the touch on the ball.

Offline Richie

« Reply #1583 on: November 22, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
I didn’t think for one second it was going to be overturned. Trez got the ball first and when he cut the ball back it hit the Brighton player who then caught his leg. Surely the fact that the Villa player got the ball first should be the deciding factor ?

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #1584 on: November 22, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
I didn't watch the game live, all I've seen is the slow motion clip after the event but when I saw it I genuinely thought "fair enough". He barely, barely touches him. The dive is embarrassing. I get those have been given and this was in real time but I don't think we've been hard done to there.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1585 on: November 22, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »
I didn't watch the game live, all I've seen is the slow motion clip after the event but when I saw it I genuinely thought "fair enough". He barely, barely touches him. The dive is embarrassing. I get those have been given and this was in real time but I don't think we've been hard done to there.

I think people feeling aggrieved perhaps comes more from it being overturned than the actual decision. It just hasn’t happened previously. Konsa on Fernandes come to mind, but I’m sure there are plenty of other examples. I’ll admit, I don’t know all the rule nowadays, but the fact you seem to be able to make a fairly decent argument for both outcomes makes it strange that the decision was changed.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #1586 on: November 22, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »

I think people feeling aggrieved perhaps comes more from it being overturned than the actual decision. It just hasn’t happened previously. Konsa on Fernandes come to mind, but I’m sure there are plenty of other examples. I’ll admit, I don’t know all the rule nowadays, but the fact you seem to be able to make a fairly decent argument for both outcomes makes it strange that the decision was changed.

Fair point. Agreed it could have gone either way so probably not clear and obvious error but for me the outcome wasn't an injustice. The Man United penalty against us last year definitely is one that should have been overturned but the fact it wasn't doesn't make what happened yesterday wrong.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1587 on: November 22, 2020, 09:27:43 AM »
The touch on the ball was unintentional by the Brighton defender, as he had been beaten by Trez. The touch on Trez was intentional and changed his movement to the ball and space he had created. Definite penalty (forget Trez's theatrics) look at the reactions of the Brighton defender whose hands went immediately towards his own head recognising his error.
The issue is poor refs and the poor application of var.
I saw it's introduction as something that would only really benefit the likes of manure and lobscouse (see manure's win vs Brighton earlier in the season to see where it is morely likely to benefit them than Villa yesterday). Nothing I've seen has changed my mind.
The reality is football as a spectacle has been in decline for a number of seasons for a number of reasons. Var is the latest reason. It distances and disengages the supporter and mutes any celebration whether it be for a goal, sending off or penalty.
It is ruining the game of football as a live event spectacle.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1588 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »

Fair point. Agreed it could have gone either way so probably not clear and obvious error but for me the outcome wasn't an injustice. The Man United penalty against us last year definitely is one that should have been overturned but the fact it wasn't doesn't make what happened yesterday wrong.

Of course it doesn’t, but it was just the first example that came to mind regarding VAR intervention. My understanding was that there is/was a high bar applied when it comes to VAR getting involved with an on field decision. Previously, the fact that he touched Trezeguet would be enough to stay with the original verdict. The fact he touches the ball or that Trezeguet reacts how he does has no bearing on that. 

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1589 on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »

I said at the time that reaction did us no favours at all. If he’d dropped straight to the ground then who knows, but the theatrical leap and scream was embarrassing. It’s what he does, and he’s done it since he’s been here.

I’m saying this as someone who’s been really impressed by Trez since the restart last season, it’s just a part of his game that I hate.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:43:46 AM by CT »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal