collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343359 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: VAR
« Reply #1485 on: November 01, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
Konsa headed the ball into him which means he was interfering with play from an offside position, i thought he was off watching it live and was annoyed wen the flag didn't go up.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1486 on: November 02, 2020, 12:45:56 AM »
If people are upset about us getting a VAR decision 'in our favour' (alert! Adams was offside), they can perhaps console themselves that Saints' first goal came after a foul throw and the extremely dubious award of a free-kick.

Still, VAR doesn't check 'some things', as we found out in last season's cup final.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1487 on: November 02, 2020, 07:49:45 AM »
If people are upset about us getting a VAR decision 'in our favour' (alert! Adams was offside), they can perhaps console themselves that Saints' first goal came after a foul throw and the extremely dubious award of a free-kick.

Still, VAR doesn't check 'some things', as we found out in last season's cup final.

I've not got much quibble with the throw-in, I've seen plenty worse, but agree about the free kick. Did they get around to finding a replay that showed any actual contact?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1488 on: November 03, 2020, 12:52:45 AM »
I haven't seen one yet.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1489 on: November 03, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
For me the two biggest problems with VAR at the moment are that the VAR is not a specific role & that the VAR is not independent of the referee.

To get the most competent VAR it needs to be someone whose job is as a VAR official not another referee having a day off running around....there are plenty of ex-refs or ex-players who can be employed / trained to be the VAR, maybe then that independence might lead to VAR trying to correct mistakes rather than trying to get their mates out of the game without any attention.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1490 on: November 03, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »
For me the two biggest problems with VAR at the moment are that the VAR is not a specific role & that the VAR is not independent of the referee.

To get the most competent VAR it needs to be someone whose job is as a VAR official not another referee having a day off running around....there are plenty of ex-refs or ex-players who can be employed / trained to be the VAR, maybe then that independence might lead to VAR trying to correct mistakes rather than trying to get their mates out of the game without any attention.
I disagree.  It should be active referees fully up to speed with the game and how the laws are currently being enforced.  They just need to develop the system so it becomes more collaborative between the ref and the VAR, with the ref asking for assistance when needed and looking at incidents again if they feel they should.  Ultimately it should be the ref making any final decision (except offside), with assistance as required.

That's my view anyway.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1491 on: November 09, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
I saw an interesting comment yesterday regarding VAR, prior to our game in which someone accused VAR (or those that operate it) actively looking for a reason to rule out goals and it certainly looked like that a minute into our game.

No one appealed, the ref was happy and we were all ready to kick off again. Pre VAR Barclay's potential offside position may have been bought up in desperation by Arsenal fans and the manager (certainly by Wenger) but would in all probability been dismissed.

Now the ref did rule against the goal after a second look, following some others looking at it and calling it into question, but it remains a subjective decision and the long drawn out process was painful. And as if to pour more nonsense on the whole sage, only 3 minutes were added on when the VAR check took over 4???

The idea of the system was to get decisions correct and it's failing as much as the officials it was meant to help, while pissing all over the reasons we love the game. Great.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1492 on: November 09, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
I'm in favour of Var in general and am happy that Refs are now using the monitor because refs have plenty of experience and understanding of the game.  Well, that's clearly bollocks because once Atkinson did his serious run towards the monitor we all knew he'd chalk it off because he was scared of making a mistake.  His experience in the game should have said to him no keeper was stopping that even if he had a full view of it on a clear summer's day.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #1493 on: November 09, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »
The refs do now, at least , look at the pitch side monitor themselves which is an improvement on last season. But the timescale is ridiculous. 4 minutes is just silly,and then only 3 mins added time.

Maybe it needs some games to have 15 minutes added time regularly for common sense to prevail and put a time limit on checks.

After all, wasn’t it introduced to stop “ obvious errors”. If it’s taking 4 minutes , then it can’t be that obvious.

Another solution maybe would be to allow teams a certain number of appeals per game ? So it’s then down to a team conceding a goal/missing a penalty etc to appeal it? And if the appeal is successful, then that one isnt taken away?
Not one Arsenal player appealed that yesterday.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1494 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
Sorry, I'm not in favour of appeals at all.  The whole purpose of it is to assist referees. Rather than Atkinson waiting in the middle of the pitch he should be over by the monitor as soon as it's flagged up that there's a possible infringement. He then makes his decision on whether Barkley is effecting the goal given the ferocity of the shot, half a minute at most. 

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1495 on: November 09, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
I saw an interesting comment yesterday regarding VAR, prior to our game in which someone accused VAR (or those that operate it) actively looking for a reason to rule out goals and it certainly looked like that a minute into our game.

No one appealed, the ref was happy and we were all ready to kick off again. Pre VAR Barclay's potential offside position may have been bought up in desperation by Arsenal fans and the manager (certainly by Wenger) but would in all probability been dismissed.

Now the ref did rule against the goal after a second look, following some others looking at it and calling it into question, but it remains a subjective decision and the long drawn out process was painful. And as if to pour more nonsense on the whole sage, only 3 minutes were added on when the VAR check took over 4???

The idea of the system was to get decisions correct and it's failing as much as the officials it was meant to help, while pissing all over the reasons we love the game. Great.

I disagree. The flag would have gone up, and it would have been disallowed. He's in front of the 'keeper, and felt he had to jump out of the way.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #1496 on: November 09, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »
I think they had issues with the monitor for the McGinn 'goal' - pretty sure he was looking at a blank screen, and was going solely off the advice of the VAR officials

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #1497 on: November 09, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I think the ref should double check on the screen straight away and only use the var officials if he can’t decide.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1498 on: November 09, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
Sorry, I'm not in favour of appeals at all.  The whole purpose of it is to assist referees. Rather than Atkinson waiting in the middle of the pitch he should be over by the monitor as soon as it's flagged up that there's a possible infringement. He then makes his decision on whether Barkley is effecting the goal given the ferocity of the shot, half a minute at most. 

Even better, show it on the big screen like they do in rugby.

The flawed argument before was that showing the incident on screens might incite some knobs in the crowd to get shirty, but the grounds are empty at the moment so stop wasting everyone's time by sending the ref to the pitchside.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1499 on: November 09, 2020, 01:03:44 PM »
I'm in favour of Var in general and am happy that Refs are now using the monitor because refs have plenty of experience and understanding of the game.  Well, that's clearly bollocks because once Atkinson did his serious run towards the monitor we all knew he'd chalk it off because he was scared of making a mistake.  His experience in the game should have said to him no keeper was stopping that even if he had a full view of it on a clear summer's day.

Quite, I think the commentator said something along the lines of 'even if Barklay hadn't have been in that position the benefit to the goalkeeper would have been that he would just have had a clearer view of it as it sped past him'.  I don't care who the goalkeeper would have been, no one was stopping that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal