collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343880 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: VAR
« Reply #1365 on: September 27, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
I think the problems are a couple of things, it’s no longer ball to hand if your a defender. Your arms have to be by your side, which can be tricky for anyone who moves. Also the other issue I think is everything is so scrutinised.

Even having your arms by your sides doesn't save you - look at the penalty Everton got yesterday.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1366 on: September 27, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
Over-analysis is what birthed this bastard creation in the first place, only it was by broadcasters in the ratings arms race. The studio dissection of every 'important' decision and nondecision solely for the entertainment of the sofa-bound hordes, enabled through an ever increasing battery of cameras, inevitably led to cries from sinned-against managers of, "it'd take the ref two seconds to come over and have a look at a monitor", or the even more portentous, "they could have someone watching in the stands to tell them they've made a mistake".

This wasn't foisted onto football, football asked for it. And now it's going to have to lie in its own sanitised bed for the foreseeable. The only way back, as far as I can see, would be to bin it in its entirety, and that would take some climbdowns from people who I reckon have absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever doing that.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1367 on: September 27, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
I think you have raised a very good point there Lastfootstamper.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1368 on: September 27, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »
The penalty for Newcastle today was a shocking decision but I've not had much of a problem with the others. Dodgy handball decisions have happened for years but generally only to the benefit of a handful of clubs. The change means that same harsh interpretation is being used for everyone which is an improvement for me. What I'd like to see now is for the rules to be improved to add mitigating factors (like not looking in the direction of the ball) but to try to keep the consistent application of the laws.

I'm fine with the penalty change where they're watching for the keeper moving off his line early, that law is very simple and very clear, all that's happening is that they can now officiate it correctly.

The next change I'd like to see is to move away from the idea that getting a toe on the ball stops a challenge from being reckless/dangerous. The one that put Wesley out for a year, for example, is the sort of tackle that needs to be stopped.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1369 on: September 27, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
It’s a good idea in principle, but I think the main reason why those of us who don’t like it in practice is that we don’t really understand the rules and there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in its application. Until those two things are sorted, there are always going to be people moaning about it. I’d rather it was ditched personally. But it doesn’t look like happening any time soon, so failing that, at least make it work to the point where people aren’t left scratching their heads at a lot of the outcomes from it.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1370 on: September 27, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
You make it sound like Brexit.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1371 on: September 27, 2020, 10:43:48 PM »
It was never a good idea, in principle or reality.
Lastfootstamper is absolutely right.

Football is not a video game. It doesn’t need to be turned into one.

Online devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #1372 on: September 27, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »
So Jenas says that the "product" of the premier league is wonderful and should be treated differently from other leagues. Really?? Surely the real issue here is the handball rule not which league a match is being played in.

I really don't see how that penalty should have been given against Spurs. He's jumping to reach the ball - how can you do that with your hands at your side? And this can't be about VAR, it's about the rules. Clearly, the people who make these changes have never played the game.

What is happening to our beautiful game?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1373 on: September 27, 2020, 11:56:12 PM »
It is and was a ridiculous decision. I remember Mark Delaney having a pen against him for exactly the same in a match against Middlesbrough or maybe Sunderland. No VAR back then just a ref who didn’t like us much from my recollection. 

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1374 on: September 28, 2020, 07:45:34 AM »
VAR reminds me of my mother with a tin of paint.  She had paint and a brush so things were going to get painted whether they needed it or not, whether painting would improve them or not.  The FA has got VAR so it is going to use it regardless of whether it improves the game for the players or the spectators.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1375 on: September 28, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
It is and was a ridiculous decision. I remember Mark Delaney having a pen against him for exactly the same in a match against Middlesbrough or maybe Sunderland. No VAR back then just a ref who didn’t like us much from my recollection.

Sunderland. Elleray.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1376 on: September 28, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »
It’s a good idea in principle, but I think the main reason why those of us who don’t like it in practice is that we don’t really understand the rules and there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in its application. Until those two things are sorted, there are always going to be people moaning about it. I’d rather it was ditched personally. But it doesn’t look like happening any time soon, so failing that, at least make it work to the point where people aren’t left scratching their heads at a lot of the outcomes from it.
They have changed the rules/Laws to accommodate VAR which is just nuts, when the whole point of using technology was supposed to be about getting more accurate application of the Laws.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1377 on: September 28, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
Why is it that football seems to be the only sport where those in charge feel the need to change the rules, or the interpretation of them every bloody year? A sport that has been played for over 150 years still hasn't got the rules right apparently.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1378 on: September 28, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »
I’m ok with VAR but the handball rule is a joke. Saying that, deliberate hand ball can be very hard to prove unless someone is doing a Kanchelskis

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1379 on: September 28, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
I’m ok with VAR but the handball rule is a joke. Saying that, deliberate hand ball can be very hard to prove unless someone is doing a Kanchelskis

A player having his back to the ball would be a pretty good indication that he might not have meant it though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal