collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343370 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #1215 on: February 18, 2020, 03:36:33 PM »
Is it just me but do the TV companies seemingly get the answer of the award before the fans in the stadium do - it certainly feels like it

Quite often you will hear a match pundit say the result before the ref actually does it

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1216 on: February 18, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »
Is it just me but do the TV companies seemingly get the answer of the award before the fans in the stadium do - it certainly feels like it

Quite often you will hear a match pundit say the result before the ref actually does it

I think they have a monitor that gives the answer straight away. Sometimes there is check that isn't referenced within the ground but the commentator will mention it, more often than not when it is a cursory check that is easily dismissed. Like the one's involving an infraction against Aston Villa.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1217 on: February 18, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »

I think they have a monitor that gives the answer straight away. Sometimes there is check that isn't referenced within the ground but the commentator will mention it, more often than not when it is a cursory check that is easily dismissed. Like the one's involving an infraction against Aston Villa.

I noticed at the Tottenham match the ref held his hand to his ear and started to move towards the penalty spot from half way a minute of so before he signaled penalty (they were obviously chatting to him and saying they are likely to overturn his decision)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #1218 on: February 19, 2020, 04:06:29 PM »
Apparently the "smaller" PL clubs are against the match referee going to a pitchside monitor as they believe he will be influenced by the crowd and will give s decision that favours the "bigger" clubs.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1219 on: February 19, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
I still believe it can work, but by god they are doing their level fucking best to make sure it doesn't.

If you gathered 20 morons in a room and asked them how best to manage video refereeing they wouldn't be able to come up with a worse system than this.

For the life of me I don't understand why they can't just swallow their fucking pride and directly copy the rugby union methodology, if necessary replacing the big screen replays with pitchside monitors if they really don't think a crowd of grown ups can handle seeing sensible justified decisions played out on a screen.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1220 on: February 20, 2020, 10:50:52 AM »
Listening to this new "Wengers law" re:offsides, i'm not convinced it will rid us of the current mess the game is in due to the arrogant fuckwits that are running it. It will still be down to opinions. I'm told that technology is being developed that will "chip" both players and the ball. This should mean that they will have a definitive moment that the ball is passed forward thus they can freeze frame the still picture accurately. That isn't possible right now so giving offsides for miniscule "offences" has to involve some guesswork. They will be able to accurately tell if any part of the body has strayed offside however small. But is that the spirit of the game? Is that what it's come down to? Not for me it isn't. I think it should be simply down to the refs using the pitchside monitor which they were supposed to do in the first place. It would cut out the blatant errors. If the ref can't tell if it's offside without the need for protractors and lines all over the place then it's not offside. Simples. Just leave it at that. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:52:58 AM by The Edge »

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1221 on: February 20, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »
All Wenger is proposing is what Souness said months ago, and has been suggested on here more than once, which is moving the line of (in)decision from in front of to behind the attacker. He'll get more credibility for suggesting it though because he looks like a French Professor Yaffle rather than an angry Scottish midfielder or an internet crackpot.

Same shit, different line to moan about millimetres over.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1222 on: February 20, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
Forget 1st phase / 2nd phase or that he may have had a pube in the offside position after a few minutes of trigonometry

Wenger speaks sense when it is the clear light between defender and attacker that should be the measure - have to give the attacker the benefit not the defender

Online The Edge

« Reply #1223 on: February 20, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Forget 1st phase / 2nd phase or that he may have had a pube in the offside position after a few minutes of trigonometry

Wenger speaks sense when it is the clear light between defender and attacker that should be the measure - have to give the attacker the benefit not the defender
I'd be ok with that so long as it's the refs decision and he used the pitch side monitor. If he's not 100% from that then he doesn't give offside. It was brought in to stop the blatant ones eg: Chelseas goal at Cardiff last season when both the ref & lino missed the Chelsea player being about 2 fkn yards offside. It's the refs themselves who have caused all the crap by insisting on giving offside for a few millimetres.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:21:20 PM by The Edge »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1224 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »
I still believe it can work, but by god they are doing their level fucking best to make sure it doesn't.

If you gathered 20 morons in a room and asked them how best to manage video refereeing they wouldn't be able to come up with a worse system than this.

For the life of me I don't understand why they can't just swallow their fucking pride and directly copy the rugby union methodology, if necessary replacing the big screen replays with pitchside monitors if they really don't think a crowd of grown ups can handle seeing sensible justified decisions played out on a screen.

Oh yes I could!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1225 on: February 20, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
The fundamental flaw with using VAR for offsides is that the technology can't tell when the ball was played and therefore will never know to the millimetre whether someone is offside. Moving the line from the strikers cock to his arse won't change that.

The simplest solution I've seen (probably on here) is to go with the linesmen unless VAR can definitively prove otherwise within 20 seconds. If disproving a decision takes longer than 20 seconds it can't possibly be a clear and obvious error and we should all just move on.

The same time limit should be applied to all VAR decisions so if we're going to have our celebrations cut short at least it'll be quick rather than the current shitshow of not knowing whether we're allowed to cheer until the opposition kicks off 3 minutes after the ball's hit the net.

Online The Edge

« Reply #1226 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »
The fundamental flaw with using VAR for offsides is that the technology can't tell when the ball was played and therefore will never know to the millimetre whether someone is offside. Moving the line from the strikers cock to his arse won't change that.

The simplest solution I've seen (probably on here) is to go with the linesmen unless VAR can definitively prove otherwise within 20 seconds. If disproving a decision takes longer than 20 seconds it can't possibly be a clear and obvious error and we should all just move on.

The same time limit should be applied to all VAR decisions so if we're going to have our celebrations cut short at least it'll be quick rather than the current shitshow of not knowing whether we're allowed to cheer until the opposition kicks off 3 minutes after the ball's hit the net.
See my post earlier on this page. I hate it when prats like Gary Neville spout off  "offside is offside no matter if it's a millimetre" No it fucking isn't!! The rules state offside is judged when the ball is played.If your dealing in millimetres to give offside  then you have to include milliseconds for when the ball is released. They can only move the picture one frame at a time which makes it a guess which frame is correct. The problem is interpretation. VAR was introduced to prevent clear and obvious errors. They have ruined the whole thing with their ridiculous interpretation of the tech. Who gave our officials permission to ignore the pitchside monitors? They were introduced as part of the whole concept so why are our refs ignoring them when all other countries are using them? Arrogance is my bet. They think they're the gold standard of referees but they aren't. Look how many of our refs make it to the World cup finals.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:42:58 AM by The Edge »

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1227 on: February 21, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »
I fucking hate myself for this, but if they're going to insist on using it for offsides, they need to eliminate this extant doubt over when the ball is played. So, I propose that it is looked at twice, once in the instant which is clearly the last available frame before the ball is played, and again in the instant which is clearly the first frame once the ball is played. If you're offside in both, only then are you off.

I'm off for a shower.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1228 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10:45 AM »
I still think that Souness has the best solution.
If ANY part of the body is onside, then you are onside.

Online ez

« Reply #1229 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
I still think that Souness has the best solution.
If ANY part of the body is onside, then you are onside.

Or in other words, there has to be daylight inbetween for it to be offside.. They did have this rule for a time then got rid of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal