collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 347900 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #975 on: November 05, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »
Just have the VAR person, inform the referee when he's possibly missed something.

Referee HAS to go and double check. Referee watches replay, makes final decision.

It is nowhere near as hard as they're making it look.

Which is what happened in the World Cup.

And then if the ref still isn't sure, he can ask the VAR team to have another look, at which point the "clear and obvious error" rule could apply.

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #976 on: November 05, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
Just have the VAR person, inform the referee when he's possibly missed something.

Referee HAS to go and double check. Referee watches replay, makes final decision.

During which there were about six penalties a game. I know I'm a miserable luddite but can't they just scrap the entire thing so we can get back to celebrating goals again?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #977 on: November 05, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »

During which there were about six penalties a game. I know I'm a miserable luddite but can't they just scrap the entire thing so we can get back to celebrating goals again?
I don't think you're being a luddite. Just because it's new technology and they've decided to use it doesn't make it right. Someone invented the Stylophone once.That got binned once everyone realised it wasn't "the future" it was actually a load of crap.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:19:47 PM by The Edge »

Online danno

« Reply #978 on: November 05, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
Maybe it's just because England benefitted, but I kind of liked blatant grappling in the box actually being penalised in the World Cup. There were more penalties than usual but that did seem to diminish as the tournament progressed.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #979 on: November 05, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
Using "luddite" would imply one railing against new technology. It's not, it's barely one step removed from someone operating a vcr with a frame advance button.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #980 on: November 05, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
How many mistakes per game were happening to make this shite worth it? It's made the game worse, not better.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #981 on: November 05, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »
I prefer using the word Luddite in its historical rather than derogatory context.  We should be smashing up the video screens at Stockley Park simply because they represent a challenge to our way of life as we know it. 

(And I say that as someone who was initially in favour of VAR.)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #982 on: November 05, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
So Atkinson was going to give a yellow, VAR said give a red, and now it's overturned.

Tottenham forward Son Heung-min's red card for his tackle on Andre Gomes has been overturned by the Football Association.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #983 on: November 05, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »

I don't think you're being a luddite. Just because it's new technology and they've decided to use it doesn't make it right. Someone invented the Stylophone once.That got binned once everyone realised it wasn't "the future" it was actually a load of crap.

Was that the one Rolf Harris invented or did he just advertise it?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #984 on: November 05, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »

Was that the one Rolf Harris invented or did he just advertise it?
I believe he invented it. I didn't want to give him credit for obvious reasons 😉

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #985 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
I remember getting one for Xmas, it wasn’t great.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #986 on: November 05, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
He did great service to the hardboard manufacturing industry by inventing the wobble (woggle?) board.  If you could not master playing it you could re roof a rabbit hutch with it.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #987 on: November 05, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »
I remember getting one for Xmas, it wasn’t great.
Yeah me too. Mid 70's i reckon? I was the envy of my brothers for about 10 minutes then the novelty wore off. Think i swapped it for an etch-a-sketch or a compendium of games.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:45:21 PM by The Edge »

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #988 on: November 06, 2019, 08:54:41 AM »
Rolf Harris didn't invent the Stylophone. He played it on some of his irritating novelty tunes, but he didn't invent it.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #989 on: November 06, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »
Rolf Harris didn't invent the Stylophone. He played it on some of his irritating novelty tunes, but he didn't invent it.

I could play a mean Danny Boy on my Stylophone

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal