collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343581 times)

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #960 on: November 05, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »
One thing to be said for VAR - it's fantastic for referee job creation! Does it really take two of them to make decisions as mind boggling as they do?!

Before long there'll be more refs than players!

For the last game of the season there will be 4 officials at 10 games and 10 sets of VAR officials. There are 19 Premier League refs. They already call them up from the Championship then on down the food chain.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #961 on: November 05, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
It’s about to get worse, with managers pressing for 3 VAR appeals per game.
Can you just imagine it?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #962 on: November 05, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »
That's what should happen, take it out of the hands of officials to decide what gets reviewed. That cheating c*** wouldn't have been able to prevent our goal at Palace, then.

I'd maybe go for one per half and an extra one for extra time then an extra one for penalties, rather than three each, but it would seem a step in the right direction.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #963 on: November 05, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »
I think that might be a better system to use you know like they do in Tennis where you get 2 challenges per set.

Instead of VAR checking every single decision, the manager gets maybe 1 challenge per half to use VAR. Every other decision is what the referee in the middle says like the good old days. If the manager uses VAR wrongly to have an offside decision checked, then 5 minutes later the ref misses a stonewall penalty but nothing can be done because the 1 VAR has already been used on an offside then tough.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #964 on: November 05, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
That's what should happen, take it out of the hands of officials to decide what gets reviewed. That cheating c*** wouldn't have been able to prevent our goal at Palace, then.

I'd maybe go for one per half and an extra one for extra time then an extra one for penalties, rather than three each, but it would seem a step in the right direction.
My concern is managers would use them to disrupt the game, it would become a tactical weapon. Maybe one and if it was a correct appeal they still have it.
There is usually only one big incident.per match.

Offline KRS

« Reply #965 on: November 05, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »
Fully implement VAR correctly or fully fuck it off. There is no way this half arsed version should have been introduced to the game. The match referees and VAR officials need to be fully trained, all aspects of the technology used (ie the pitch side screens), and clear rules that state when it should be used. The rules of the game also need to be updated to remove so many of the grey areas that remain to be subjective (if it’s subjective then the final call has to be with the ref using the pitch side screen).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #966 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:37 AM »

My concern is managers would use them to disrupt the game, it would become a tactical weapon. Maybe one and if it was a correct appeal they still have it.
There is usually only one big incident.per match.

I think if you limit the number of appeals/reviews/challenges (call it what you like) it would cause less description than at present where you struggle to celebrate any goals. And they would be so valuable that I can't see bosses using them tactically. You'd be a bit daft to ask for a review of a throw in to slow down the opposition's momentum then find yourself powerless to query a massively dodgy game-changing decision later in the game.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #967 on: November 05, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
I think that might be a better system to use you know like they do in Tennis where you get 2 challenges per set.

Instead of VAR checking every single decision, the manager gets maybe 1 challenge per half to use VAR. Every other decision is what the referee in the middle says like the good old days. If the manager uses VAR wrongly to have an offside decision checked, then 5 minutes later the ref misses a stonewall penalty but nothing can be done because the 1 VAR has already been used on an offside then tough.
I think the 2/3 challenges idea would be even worse than the fuckfest we have now. Lets say a manager thinks his team should of been awarded a pen so he appeals and it goes to var. Can you really see them overturning the original decision thus taking the managers side over their chum? It's already being run as an excersise in arse covering.It will cause carnage and you'll be seeing a regular 10/15 minutes extra time being held up on the board. All these suggestions are just a case of re-organising the deck chairs on the Titanic. The officials don't want it and are deliberately sabotaging it in my opinion. The fans don't want it. It's ruining the unbridled joy we get when celebrating a goal which is the single biggest reason for bringing us back in our droves every week. It takes away so much more than it gives. Stop this madness now. Kick it out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:24:28 AM by The Edge »

Offline mike

« Reply #968 on: November 05, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Fully implement VAR correctly or fully fuck it off. There is no way this half arsed version should have been introduced to the game. The match referees and VAR officials need to be fully trained, all aspects of the technology used (ie the pitch side screens), and clear rules that state when it should be used. The rules of the game also need to be updated to remove so many of the grey areas that remain to be subjective (if it’s subjective then the final call has to be with the ref using the pitch side screen).

Exactly.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #969 on: November 05, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
There's no way any manager or player should ever have the right to send anything to VAR. Many of them barely know the rules of the game and all of them are utterly, unapologetically biased. Why would I want the game delayed to tickle their egos or give vent to their peeves.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #970 on: November 05, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
Managers dont know the rules?

Offline danno

« Reply #971 on: November 05, 2019, 01:04:34 PM »
Just have the VAR person, inform the referee when he's possibly missed something.

Referee HAS to go and double check. Referee watches replay, makes final decision.

It is nowhere near as hard as they're making it look.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #972 on: November 05, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
Managers dont know the rules?

In terms of being able to ref the game, correct. Ask a ref. Actually, ask a manager and they'll tell you the same.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #973 on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Just have the VAR person, inform the referee when he's possibly missed something.

Referee HAS to go and double check. Referee watches replay, makes final decision.

Which is what happened in the World Cup.

Offline danno

« Reply #974 on: November 05, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »

Which is what happened in the World Cup.

Yep, if it's here to stay then for now we may as well use the least worst version of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal