collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343866 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: VAR
« Reply #930 on: November 03, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »
The ref was a bloody joke yesterday. Does he consult with VAR before he ties his shoelaces?

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #931 on: November 03, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
I'm still convinced that making a mockery of it is just a way to numb supporters to VAR so that it can be used to make sure the right team doesn't lose in certain matches.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #932 on: November 03, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »
3 minutes worth of replays at Goodison Park to try to determine wether there was a handball or not 😴😴😴

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #933 on: November 03, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
3 minutes worth of replays at Goodison Park to try to determine wether there was a handball or not 😴😴😴

Was there?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #934 on: November 03, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »

Was there?

It certainly took a while and in my opinion they still got the decision wrong.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #935 on: November 03, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
Surely it helped us yesterday as they was barely anything in the Firmino "goal." I'd have given that personally as I generally dislike seeing those sorts of ones called for offside, was same when Spurs had one chalked off at Leicester. We will get one offside like that at some stage in the season.

I think it was Mings and Engels that were either side of Trezeguet. If either of them had got onto the end of the cross and scored, it would have been ruled out.

For me Firmino's was a goal too. It's daft that they go down to the millimetre. There should be some margin of error - there is in cricket when they're working out whether the ball is going on to hit the stumps. I preferred it when they had the rule about daylight.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #936 on: November 03, 2019, 06:41:39 PM »

Was there?

It certainly took a while and in my opinion they still got the decision wrong.

Agreed if you’re going to analyse every handball  Why would you have your hands that high up

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #937 on: November 03, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
"Daylight" would make no difference to VAR, though. It would just move the point at which you work out whether or not someone's offside by millimetres from in front of them to behind.

They've dug themselves into a hole imo by not sticking to the "clear and obvious error" mantra.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #938 on: November 03, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
Absolutely. They're treating offsides as a binary decision, assuming the technology is millimetre accurate, which it clearly isn't as there's a ref in a room drawing lines!

As mentioned, cricket get this and factor it in. It works so why the fuck have the football authorities decided to ignore what works elsewhere!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #939 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
I just don't understand how they can watch technology working so well in both cricket and rugby, where the VAR/TMO talks through his rationale and everyone in the stadium watches it on the screen (in rugby at least) and think it's a better idea to keep everyone in the stadium in football in the dark.

Imagine showing a replay of why our goal against Brighton was disallowed, in a relegation/title decider? Or more accurately, imagine trying to stop the ensuing riot?

Dave, you're normally the first to get pissed off when the authorities treat the fans as animals. And some fans already think the refs are cheating us and don't riot so what's the difference?

Treat us like adults and you never know, people might behave like adults. If fans can't control themselves because they think we've been cheated by a video ref then they should rightfully get banned from attending.

Look at the Taking Kids thread.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #940 on: November 03, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
I just don't understand how they can watch technology working so well in both cricket and rugby, where the VAR/TMO talks through his rationale and everyone in the stadium watches it on the screen (in rugby at least) and think it's a better idea to keep everyone in the stadium in football in the dark.

Imagine showing a replay of why our goal against Brighton was disallowed, in a relegation/title decider? Or more accurately, imagine trying to stop the ensuing riot?

Dave, you're normally the first to get pissed off when the authorities treat the fans as animals. And some fans already think the refs are cheating us and don't riot so what's the difference?

Treat us like adults and you never know, people might behave like adults. If fans can't control themselves because they think we've been cheated by a video ref then they should rightfully get banned from attending.

Look at the Taking Kids thread.

I have, and unless I've missed it there's no mention of anyone rioting because a decision went the wrong way.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #941 on: November 03, 2019, 08:47:10 PM »
Look how we reacted at Palace.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #942 on: November 03, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
'We'?!  A handful of twats you mean? If we want to base policy on the lowest common denominator let's bring fences back.

Like I said before, treat fans like adults and you may be surprised to find they behave like adults.

Offline mike

« Reply #943 on: November 03, 2019, 08:53:23 PM »
I thought VAR would be good in preventing the obvious mistakes that refs make because they are human and because they aren't always well placed (plus some of them seem to be crap) but it has been an unmitigated disaster. It ruins the game without even getting decisions right. Look at that Watford player that got hacked down twice by a Spurs defender and no penalty given. You could see his boot curled around the players shin. As the author of the Taking Kids thread, I agree with Dave, if a video like that was shown at a full stadium on the last day of the season it would be a riot. Imagine Tyrone had hacked down a Blues player in the 95th minute at The Sty (I know... they're never coming up, its just an example) and no penalty resulted in them being relegated. If I was a steward, I'd take off my High Vis and go home (after kicking Jack, obviously.)

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #944 on: November 03, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
But as has been pointed out, a bunch of knobs kicked off at Palace without the video. Why would it be any worse with a video?

But on the plus side, the 99.9% of rational fans would at least understand why the VAR check is taking so long and understand the basis for the ultimate decision.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal