collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 83831 times)

Online nodge

• GM : 26.01.2021
Re: VAR
« Reply #750 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

I only saw him talking about the Man Utd goal and he said if the ref on the pitch didnít see it as a foul then the VAR ref wouldnít need to overrule him. In which case our goal should stand. Theyíre making it up as they go along, itís shit!

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #751 on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »
VAR isn't inconsistent, it's the opinions of the referees that are inconsistent. If anything, VAR has helped to highlight how shite they are at their jobs. PGMOL needs to be cleared out, I think some of the leaders in the organisation may feel they have too much power over the game and it needs to stop.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:51:38 PM by Stu »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #752 on: October 21, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
Dermot Gallagher is a wanker.  That is all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #753 on: October 21, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
VAR isn't inconsistent, it's the opinions of the referees that are inconsistent. If anything, VAR has helped to highlight how shite they are at their jobs. PGMOL needs to be cleared out, I think some of the leaders in the organisation may feel they have too much power over the game and it needs to stop.

I agree Stu, there just doesn't seem to be any accountability whatsoever.  It used to be that when a ref had a stinker, they'd pop up at a division or so lower for their next match.  The next match but one after Kevin Friend cheated us, he was reffing Man U v Arsenal.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #754 on: October 21, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

I believe it was the same referee who called the 'foul' on the Brighton keeper that let the Man United goal stand. Remarkably inconsitent.

Offline frank black

« Reply #755 on: October 21, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »

I only saw him talking about the Man Utd goal and he said if the ref on the pitch didnít see it as a foul then the VAR ref wouldnít need to overrule him. In which case our goal should stand. Theyíre making it up as they go along, itís shit!

I believe what he was saying is that the ref saw the foul/challenge in the Man u game and waved play on. So VAR couldnít assess it. Whereas in the Villa game the ref made no such gesture and therefore missed the incident. That was my interpretation

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #756 on: October 21, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »

I believe what he was saying is that the ref saw the foul/challenge in the Man u game and waved play on. So VAR couldnít assess it. Whereas in the Villa game the ref made no such gesture and therefore missed the incident. That was my interpretation

Which kinda begs the question, wtf was he looking at, then?

Online themossman

• GM : 22.02.2021
« Reply #757 on: October 21, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
It seems so wrong, elongated and poor set up compared to rugby union TMO

I think football as a sport is really incompatible with the technology. Cricket and rugby both have natural breaks but the whole idea of football is it flows more or less continuously.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #758 on: October 21, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
One of the perfect uses for VAR should have been giving the Watford pen, I can fully understand the ref not being able to see the fouls in that challenge as unless he was damn lucky the players would be blocking his view of the of it s that's where VAR comes in. Except of course VAR gives no pen. What's the fucking point if it doesn't give something as blatant as that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #759 on: October 21, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »

I think football as a sport is really incompatible with the technology. Cricket and rugby both have natural breaks but the whole idea of football is it flows more or less continuously.

It's not even the natural breaks as the fact that so much in football is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Online nodge

« Reply #760 on: October 21, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »

Iím not sure if he waved play on, I think he said Atkinson was in a good position to see the challenge and decided it wasnít a foul, which is exactly what happened in our game.

Offline frank black

« Reply #761 on: October 21, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »

Iím not sure if he waved play on, I think he said Atkinson was in a good position to see the challenge and decided it wasnít a foul, which is exactly what happened in our game.

Quote ďMartin waves it away and once he does this itís out of VARs handsĒ

Online nodge

« Reply #762 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
Fair enough I only saw the clip on the news. Iíd still argue the ref in our game saw the Wesley incident and didnít give a foul and had a good view so I donít see why another refís opinion should hold any more weight

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #763 on: October 21, 2019, 07:30:07 PM »
Itís like rules for pool in certain pubs. They are making it up as they go along. So... if something is waved play on, no matter if is a clear and obvious error, it canít go to VAR??

Offline Vill I An

• Hope we stay Premier league !
« Reply #764 on: October 21, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »

Oh but to dream for such fair flow of match action but it is a distant hope for incompetent officials which stop our dreams and goals becoming a reality .

How do we remove such incompetence at the centre of the nightmare.
We wake up and never sleep

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal