collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343354 times)

Online lovejoy

Re: VAR
« Reply #720 on: October 21, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
The technology is fine, the useless punter using it is the problem.
Even worse than our decisions on saturday - Watford. Clear trip on Deulofeu in the area, reviewed but no penalty (VAR has yet to give a penalty when not given by the ref in the premier league). At the end Ali's goal comes off his arm, its reviewed and no goal per VAR but the ref overrules and gives it anyway.

2 issues:
1. the people using VAR are too afraid to overrule the on pitch ref (re the penalty).
2. even for no subjective decisions the VAR reviewer isn't applying the rules. Man City had a goal ruled out earlier this season as the ball inadvertently brushed someones arma nd were told that if a goal is scored and the ball hits the hand it must be disallowed. This was contradicted on saturday.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #721 on: October 21, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
Re: Use of pitch-side screens. I have never seen a ref called over to one and not agree with the TMO's decision, so it's just a rubber stamp and therefore not a cure for the dreadful shit that VAR has become. I was in favour previously.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #722 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
Dermot Gallager on ref watch (Sky) has said it was the correct decision - foul by Wesley.  I watched it several times.  Yeah, strictly there's a small amout of contact, but bloody hell if that's a foul we might as well all give up.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #723 on: October 21, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
Dermot Gallager on ref watch (Sky) has said it was the correct decision - foul by Wesley.  I watched it several times.  Yeah, strictly there's a small amout of contact, but bloody hell if that's a foul we might as well all give up.

Even in retirement they protect their own.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #724 on: October 21, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »

Dermot once again is just sticking up for his pals and is talking  bollocks. There was no foul on the keeper when Hourihane scored. It was nonsense.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #725 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »
I did't actually see it on sky, just read the written article.  But it's hilarious when all the pundits and presenter look at him in amazment when he defends some of these decisions.  Doesn't he realise what a tool he looks??

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #726 on: October 21, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
Did Gallagher also say why if it was a foul (which is wrong) why the ref didn't blow for it at the time? Incompetent ref and incompetent var!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #727 on: October 21, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
If the ball had fell to Conor when Wesley jumped then I could have just about understood it, but it went out wide then came back in.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #728 on: October 21, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »

No foul at all, none of their players claimed for it either.  VAR cancelling that goal is a vote of no confidence in the referee on this pitch in my view.  Crap decision as very, very little contact, certainly not enough to put the keep off.  Perfectly good goal. Old boys network strikes again.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #729 on: October 21, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
It's the VAR assistants - they are batsh*t crazy and shouldn't be allowed to officiate at all. Watford should rightly be fuming. Apparently Manure got away with a VAR review worse than our 'foul'. What they've really done is add another level of inconsistency in because it's still humans making a judgement call.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #730 on: October 21, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #731 on: October 21, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
The technology is fine, the useless punter using it is the problem.
Even worse than our decisions on saturday - Watford. Clear trip on Deulofeu in the area, reviewed but no penalty (VAR has yet to give a penalty when not given by the ref in the premier league). At the end Ali's goal comes off his arm, its reviewed and no goal per VAR but the ref overrules and gives it anyway.

2 issues:
1. the people using VAR are too afraid to overrule the on pitch ref (re the penalty).
2. even for no subjective decisions the VAR reviewer isn't applying the rules. Man City had a goal ruled out earlier this season as the ball inadvertently brushed someones arma nd were told that if a goal is scored and the ball hits the hand it must be disallowed. This was contradicted on saturday.

VAR Said goal, person in charge of the board pressed the wrong button and was not "overruled" by the ref. Still another nail though and the stupidness of the Watford penalty was that from the angle the review was carried out, it was obvious it was one. The ref didn't have the advantage of the angle and the slow motion of the replay so if it was given rightly as a penalty, it wouldn't have been a blot on his instant decision at all.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #732 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

I only saw him talking about the Man Utd goal and he said if the ref on the pitch didn’t see it as a foul then the VAR ref wouldn’t need to overrule him. In which case our goal should stand. They’re making it up as they go along, it’s shit!

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #733 on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »
VAR isn't inconsistent, it's the opinions of the referees that are inconsistent. If anything, VAR has helped to highlight how shite they are at their jobs. PGMOL needs to be cleared out, I think some of the leaders in the organisation may feel they have too much power over the game and it needs to stop.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:51:38 PM by Stu »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
Dermot Gallagher is a wanker.  That is all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal