collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343403 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: VAR
« Reply #690 on: October 20, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »
Agreed. Pipe the replay onto the screen for the 4th official to decide pitch side to at least have some up front responsibility. At the moment VAR is just used to confirm shit decisions by their mates, give nonsensical handball decisions (Greek fella at Arseanal is blatant handball and not given, ball brushes hand of Man City player against Spurs and goal is disallowed - clearly intent and not given in the first, no intent and given in the second incident - utter trollope) and piss everyone off. They need to bin it, or make it actually overturn the shit decisions.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #691 on: October 20, 2019, 11:13:17 PM »
In Rugby isn’t the responsibility with the Ref ?, he determines what question is asked and when to call it.
 The complete abdication of responsibility by the ref is part of the problem.

Isn't there an element of the TMO having a word in the refs ear when he's missed something serious?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #692 on: October 21, 2019, 12:02:55 AM »
In Rugby isn’t the responsibility with the Ref ?, he determines what question is asked and when to call it.
 The complete abdication of responsibility by the ref is part of the problem.

Isn't there an element of the TMO having a word in the refs ear when he's missed something serious?

Yep. They don't do it much, just when they are pretty sure that the ref has missed something.

Offline KRS

« Reply #693 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »
Get rid. As already mentioned, how they are using VAR is a complete farce. Until the Premier League and match officials agree to use it correctly and consistently in the right way then we’re much better off without it. VAR is a joke in its current format, and the decision makers in our game should all be suitably embarrassed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:04:57 AM by KRS »

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #694 on: October 21, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
For those of us who attend Premier League matches in the stadium VAR is ruining the major enjoyment – that of celebrating a goal by your team.  Twice at Villa Park and once at Selhurst Park I have been jumping around only to be brought up short and, after a delay, a free kick taken by the defending team. On Saturday Hourihane’s screamer hit the back of the net, none of the Brighton players appealed (inc. their keeper), the ref thought it was OK and the teams headed for the centre circle only for someone miles away to rule it out. The loudest cheer now comes when the game is restarted with a kick off by the defending team.
As an aside I heard Andre Marriner speak and he said that refs don’t want their microphone broadcast because of their language.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #695 on: October 21, 2019, 07:58:40 AM »
So true Scratchins, you almost daren’t over celebrate until you are sure it won’t be chalked off. I still cannot understand saturday‘s latest VAR nonsense. I’ve watched the incident many times and cannot see where the clear and obvious error is. Perhaps the system will evolve but at the moment it’s hopelessly inaccurate.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
In fairness. The handball rule has been changed so it’s any contact for an attacker (ala Mane) is handball but not the case for defenders. I don’t mind the Mane one and the lack of complaint shows the players didn’t either. As for the Sokratis one though.... if you don’t give that because it’s not clear and obvious (each to their own but I’d grudgingly accept) then you definitely can’t give the Wesley foul.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #697 on: October 21, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
It seems so wrong, elongated and poor set up compared to rugby union TMO

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
In fairness. The handball rule has been changed so it’s any contact for an attacker (ala Mane) is handball but not the case for defenders. I don’t mind the Mane one and the lack of complaint shows the players didn’t either. As for the Sokratis one though.... if you don’t give that because it’s not clear and obvious (each to their own but I’d grudgingly accept) then you definitely can’t give the Wesley foul.

The appalling inconsistency is one of the problems.  We've been told time and time again that it's a "high bar" for the off field VAR team to overrule the on field ref.  So why was ours overruled, when it quite obviously wasn't a foul?  And yet yesterday, a goal after a much more obvious foul wasn't chalked off.  It's made to look even poorer by having the same two referees involved that bodged our game.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »

The appalling inconsistency is one of the problems.  We've been told time and time again that it's a "high bar" for the off field VAR team to overrule the on field ref.  So why was ours overruled, when it quite obviously wasn't a foul?  And yet yesterday, a goal after a much more obvious foul wasn't chalked off.  It's made to look even poorer by having the same two referees involved that bodged our game.
It's incredibly poor at the moment.  I'm still one of the few who believes in the principal of VAR, but it seems to be being implemented by morons.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #700 on: October 21, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »
I find it interesting that there isn't more noise coming from within clubs. It's clear that a majority of fans, even those who were in favour or on the fence in the summer, are now against the poor and at times indefensible use of the technology. Dean Smith among other managers has expressed frustration with it. I can only imagine that Purslow and other CEOs are just as annoyed by its inconsistency as the fans are.

I'd have thought it must be getting to the point that the clubs need to call a meeting to discuss the issue. They should, at the very least, ask the PL suspend the use of VAR until the many issues have demonstrably been ironed out.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #701 on: October 21, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »

It's incredibly poor at the moment.  I'm still one of the few who believes in the principal of VAR, but it seems to be being implemented by morons.

That's about where I am, I think a well implemented TV review system can be hugely beneficial but this is nothing like that.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #702 on: October 21, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
I didn't realise until yesterday that there were monitors on the side of the pitch for ref's to look at. It's all a bit shambolic really isn't it?

Offline Risso

« Reply #703 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
Goal line technology is great, and has always seemingly worked as intended.  I can even live with the reviews of offside decisions, as although they seem overly pernickety, at least it's a black and white decision. I'm in favour of anything that makes the game fairer, but the implementation of the rest of VAR is all wrong, and they're making as many crucial mistakes as an old fashioned human ref, with the added huge downside that the system comes with at a cost of ruining the flow and enjoyment of the game. 

It should be halted as an experiment until they've sat down and thought things through a lot more thoroughly.

As a suggestion, the off field team could continue to look at offsides and handballs in the build up to a goal.  Then each team gets one review per half over a contentious decision that leads to a goal.  If they ask for a review, the ref then looks at the pitch side monitor with his team.  if they're not sure after that, it then goes to the off field team.  In our game on Saturday, I don't think Brighton would have even reviewed Conor's goal to be honest, and it would then rightly have stood.

Offline Risso

« Reply #704 on: October 21, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
I didn't realise until yesterday that there were monitors on the side of the pitch for ref's to look at. It's all a bit shambolic really isn't it?

Completely.  Apparently they've never been used.  They're the Goblin Teasmade of football technology.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal