collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343534 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: VAR
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »
Having the Rugby World Cup on shows how poor VAR is compared to TMO usage. No accountability or understanding of decision making in football.

The rugby TMO isn’t perfect but there is clear teamwork between all three on field officials and the TMO.

The VAR people and refs need to seek advice from the likes of Graham Hughes, Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owens

The referee and TMO being miked up and explaining the decision certainly helps. Not sure why football is so reticent to do the same.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
Having the Rugby World Cup on shows how poor VAR is compared to TMO usage. No accountability or understanding of decision making in football.

The rugby TMO isn’t perfect but there is clear teamwork between all three on field officials and the TMO.

The VAR people and refs need to seek advice from the likes of Graham Hughes, Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owens

The referee and TMO being miked up and explaining the decision certainly helps. Not sure why football is so reticent to do the same.

I'd imagine anything picked up by a football refs mike is utterly unbroadcastable.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »

My take on that would be that the laws of the game being as wide open to interpretation as they are, the referee's would be leaving themselves wide open to ridicule more than they already are.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
I’m hoping for a really controversial point in this game, so bad that it forces something to change with VAR. The only way change will happen is it one of the big boys get a shocker against them in a live game.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
Has a screen been used yet?

I think they said on MOTD last night that the pitch side monitor hasn't been used in any game so far this season

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »

My take on that would be that the laws of the game being as wide open to interpretation as they are, the referee's would be leaving themselves wide open to ridicule more than they already are.

That's largely true for rugby and cricket as well though and it gets used there. The benefit is that it gives the official to set out what they've seen and how they're judging it. You can still disagree but at least you know exactly what grounds you disagree on. VAR currently seems to be bizarre reviews of tight calls and no review where it's obviously needed.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
Here's my take:
1. In a League competition good and bad decisions should even themselves out over the season. So in terms of overall fairness, over 38 games (46 for those lower league clubs)  competition good and bad decisions - both for and against will even themselves out.
2.Top clubs are at the top because they are the best teams. You might say they get more penalties awarded than teams at the bottom, and that this is unfair. 
3. The counter argument to this is that top clubs get into their opponent's boxes more often so their players are more likely to get tackled = more fouls = more penalties.
4. They are therefore being "rewarded" for being better at attacking. 
5. Conversely, clubs at the bottom are more likely to concede penalties because they're defending in their boxes more often = more tackles made, corners and free kicks defended = more fouls/handball = more penalties given away.

Get rid of VAR - it serves absolutely no purpose at all to the fairness of league competition.

It's a monumental failure.

Now Cup competitions are a different matter entirely.......

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
I’m hoping for a really controversial point in this game, so bad that it forces something to change with VAR. The only way change will happen is it one of the big boys get a shocker against them in a live game.

I think you're right, imagine that Man City score our goal against Liverpool in a title decider and have it ruled out in similar circumstances.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #683 on: October 20, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
Has a screen been used yet?

No.

It has been used a few times in the FA cup over last two seasons. Think a red card was overturned in one of the games last season and also penalties given or not.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #684 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
In Rugby isn’t the responsibility with the Ref ?, he determines what question is asked and when to call it.
 The complete abdication of responsibility by the ref is part of the problem.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #685 on: October 20, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »
I see Klippity is now moaning about VAR in his own unique way. ie, the ref would have blown for a foul, but VAR meant he didn't as he knew that would correct him, then it didn't because reasons. Didnt see him complaining when his player dived and VAR didn't overule it the other week.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #686 on: October 20, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »
I see Klippity is now moaning about VAR in his own unique way. ie, the ref would have blown for a foul, but VAR meant he didn't as he knew that would correct him, then it didn't because reasons. Didnt see him complaining when his player dived and VAR didn't overule it the other week.

This just adds to the lunacy of it all.  He claims the protocol is to "let the game run" (which if true, did not happen for our goal v Palace).  Surely if the ref sees a foul, he should blow?  Otherwise, there is no point him being there.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #687 on: October 20, 2019, 08:38:40 PM »
I think, Like the moaning one beforehand, he is just looking for excuses on one they didn't win the match. I personally don't think the protocol is let it run at all, even after Friend decided to do that on the next match to eff us up even more. There also needs to be a set amount of time or passes or area from goal where the review shouldn't be needed in my eyes as well. To review a potential foul 20 yards inside the other half for chalking off a goal the other end is starting to push it as well. The really stupid thing though is that there was probably as much contact there as there was for the Liverpool pen the other week, yet as one was called foul and the other wasn't, then the ref's decision stands.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #688 on: October 20, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »
It’s fucking shit. It’s even worse than any bollocks ref.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #689 on: October 20, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
If we must have it, don't allow secret refs locked in a room to decide, use the pitchside TV screen you cowards.  Terrible addition to the game though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal