collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343325 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: VAR
« Reply #630 on: October 20, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
I've seen the disallowed goal twice now and I still can't work out why it was chalked off. Wesley did jump in front of the keeper but the ball then went out wide and was played back in to Conor so the keeper was able to get back into place and make a save. Utterly farcical.

It wasn’t exactly a clear and obvious error from the ref for the VAR guys to get involved.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #631 on: October 20, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
I've seen the disallowed goal twice now and I still can't work out why it was chalked off. Wesley did jump in front of the keeper but the ball then went out wide and was played back in to Conor so the keeper was able to get back into place and make a save. Utterly farcical.

It wasn’t exactly a clear and obvious error from the ref for the VAR guys to get involved.

Yes. It's almost as if they are making up rules as they go along and taking the piss.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #632 on: October 20, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
Exactly. It’s the kind of thing that could or could not be given and if the red blew up before the goal nobody would be taking about it. But if it’s a clear error by the ref I’m a monkey’s uncle.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #633 on: October 20, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

After yesterday, VAR should get involved with everything. Get involved with the foul and card given against Conor, which were blatantly incorrect. That was clear and obvious. Chalk off Brightons goal, as it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

I thought VP was extremely loud in its condemnation of VAR yesterday. Shame the powers that be won't be listening.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #634 on: October 20, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
On top of making stupid decisions it is spoiling the experience for match going fans for the benefit of the TV companies who love the additional talking points for their pundits to analyse to the nth degree.

Scrap it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #635 on: October 20, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
Why wasn't their free kick that they scored from reviewed? Hourihane quite obviously wins the ball and there is no foul at all.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #636 on: October 20, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Why wasn't their free kick that they scored from reviewed? Hourihane quite obviously wins the ball and there is no foul at all.

No fan of VAR at all, but its for game changing decisions. The FK was in a fairly innocous area and we defended it abysmally.

Going down that route Brighton could easily ask for the blatant Targett foul on the edge of the box to be reviewed.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #637 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
I've been a Villa fan for 45 years and Grealish's equaliser was the first time that I can remember not celebrating a Villa goal as it happened. I feel now that I can't trust anything I'm seeing. Celebrating after the kick off is really, really not the same but that's what VAR is reducing things to.

Maybe I have faulty recall but I cannot remember feeling robbed as I've left a game because of a bad refereeing decision but VAR is fundamentally affecting my enjoyment of watching a game.

It's wretched.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #638 on: October 20, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Had a quick look on a Brighton forum, North Stand Chat, and even they were saying the decision to rule out the goal was ridiculous.  Seem a mostly decent bunch on there.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #639 on: October 20, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Its shit. You shouldn't have to wait until the game has restarted to celebrate a goal, but that is what it is coming to.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #640 on: October 20, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

No fan of VAR at all, but its for game changing decisions. The FK was in a fairly innocous area and we defended it abysmally.

Going down that route Brighton could easily ask for the blatant Targett foul on the edge of the box to be reviewed.

Which is fine because it would have been a fair and correct decision.  Instead, we had a ridiculous booking against one of our players and Brighton were disadvantaged.

The problem is that VAR is creating more contentious talking points than it is solving disputes.

Yesterday alone, we saw around 3 astonishing decisions across 4 different games - Ours, Leicester, Spurs and even the Wolves offside was crazy even if technically correct.  There are more wrong VAR calls than there are correct ones.  Therefore, currently, VAR has made the game worse.

For it to work properly, there needs to be clear and concise guidelines/agreements drawn up on how it is to be implemented.  Currently, there is no consistency and in our case yesterday, one man's opinion (on Wesley's challenge) overruled the referee's opinion on it.  VAR should assist refs, not take decisions away from them unless it is something blatant that has been missed.  This was the case with the Arsenal handball against us a few weeks ago and we begrudgingly accepted it.  Yesterday, the exact opposite happened and we were the victims of somebody stepping in direct contrast to what happened at Arsenal.

I wonder how many managers are supportive of VAR at this point?  Listening to Sean Dyche last night, he still seems to be, despite one of the most appalling VAR shouts thus far - Another one where one man's opinion on an incident overruled the ref's opinion.

The delays are also frustrating and people are now becoming less inclined to react to real live action and are more likely to wait for a VAR ruling.  Wolves suffered from this yesterday because the margin was so close, as did we against Burnley a few weeks back.

There needs to be a meeting of all those involved in VAR.  What could and should be a revolutionary improvement of the game is actually ruining it. 

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #641 on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
Let’s face it we hate VAR because every single decision has gone against us and cost us points

I wonder how we would feel if every decision had gone for us and we were sitting in the top 6

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #642 on: October 20, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Had a quick look on a Brighton forum, North Stand Chat, and even they were saying the decision to rule out the goal was ridiculous.  Seem a mostly decent bunch on there.

Yes - I've just been reading it.  A good thread about Jack on there which makes a change from the bitter "Grealish is a diver" witch hunt nonsense that usually follows him tearing some team or other a new one.

The only thing I'd question is their opinion of Villa (which is that we will be down there at the end of the season) or that we are a one man team.  Yesterday may have seemed like that but in most games this season, SJM has overshadowed Jack and others have also contributed more.

Brighton were very good and we were not at our best - Whether our performance was down to Brighton is debatable.  I'm more inclined to think it was because too many players had an off day.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #643 on: October 20, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »
I just don't like it regardless. I can understand why it's been brought in but it's not really been for the better so far.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #644 on: October 20, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
Yes we have been on the receiving end a fair bit, but it is just shit.

The game is worse to watch because of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal