collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 348486 times)

Offline AllanW

Re: VAR
« Reply #525 on: September 24, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »
Clean till you're blue in the face Allan, you'll never get all the blemishes out while humans are involved.

Agreed. But you will end up with a cleaner pillow to rest your head on each night :)

UTV

Offline Villa75

« Reply #526 on: September 24, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
Quelle suprise!

Fans of beaten (often poor) teams, along with ex-players being paid handsomely to fill air time, criticising decisions with, or without, VAR? Surely not!? 😂

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #527 on: September 24, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
Clean till you're blue in the face Allan, you'll never get all the blemishes out while humans are involved.

Agreed. But you will end up with a cleaner pillow to rest your head on each night :)

UTV

Well you might, in time. How long depends on how clean it needs to be before the angst stops keeping you awake. In the meantime your boiler's on the blink and you've got some loose tiles on the roof...

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #528 on: September 24, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
Yep, we knew that.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #529 on: September 24, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
I thought it was there also to stop cheating

There was the incident when one of their grounded players held on to Wesley's leg and whilst jiggling about slapped himself in the face and threw himself to the ground - blatantly cheating - nothing done

Then that piece of shit Sideshow Bob (cant be bothered to try to spell his name) waving the imaginary card at every opportunity as well as throwing himself down in the box when Heaton argued with him

And as for the handball - not sure what else can be said - I thought that if teams appealed instantly then the ref had a duty to ask for review. All our players claimed a pen but nothing even looked at

Offline danno

« Reply #530 on: September 24, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
Is the referee allowed to ask VAR to take another look at something like in rugby?  Or do they only contact him when they've overruled a decision?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #531 on: September 24, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »
As far as I can make out they can ask for a review but I'd be amazed if any of the c**ts in the premier league do any time soon.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #532 on: September 24, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
Their penalty should have been retaken for encroachment.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #533 on: September 24, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
VAR has been oversold, just like the "fit and proper persons" test. It won't fix everything but it will make some things more accurate. The offsides being looked at to the nth degree was agreed by the clubs and this is factual, you are offside or you aren't. It's less used on more subjective decisions eg penalties and handballs, unless it gives a view the ref has missed.
They have been bad at communicating how it is used.
Also I don't understand the handball rule anymore.
But the offsides are also causing a lot of controversy and are definitely not "factual" Theyr'e giving offside for millimetres but the system is not that accurate is it? To be certain of an offside you have to be certain of when the ball is played. If your giving offside for a tiny margin you have to be certain of the precise moment the ball left the passing players boot. It can not be that accurate. No way. All it's being used for is for officials to cover each others arses. It needs scrapping until it can be used properly and by impartially. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:23:13 PM by The Edge »

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #534 on: September 24, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
Seems like it just gives the officials a second opportunity to get a decision wrong.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #535 on: September 24, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
A competition like the Carabao Cup should either have VAR all the way through or not have it at all. It will not be used until the semi finals.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #536 on: September 24, 2019, 11:01:01 PM »
Seems like it just gives the officials a second opportunity to get a decision wrong.

That's one of the best descriptions I have seen of this total farce.

The system operating in last year's World Cup wasn't perfect but felt like progress.  This current incarnation hinders the game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #537 on: September 24, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
I agree, minor changes to speed the process along were all that was really needed, the neutered version they've implemented is a waste of time and just doesn't give the VAR system enough responsibility to have any effect.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #538 on: September 25, 2019, 01:16:26 AM »
A competition like the Carabao Cup should either have VAR all the way through or not have it at all. It will not be used until the semi finals.

This isn't correct, though your point still stands. VAR is used in all matches at Premier League grounds (or Wembley), regardless of the round.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #539 on: September 25, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »

That's one of the best descriptions I have seen of this total farce.

The system operating in last year's World Cup wasn't perfect but felt like progress.  This current incarnation hinders the game.
I seem to remember the refs going to a screen, looking at it for ages then still getting it wrong according to the panelists,commentators and everyman and his dog. It's a farce. Goal line technology is the only piece of tech that can not  be argued with. It's precise its 100% accurate. Var should be used only as a retrospective training tool for helping refs  or for clearing up any erroneous red cards either given by mistake or not given by mistake. Even then it will be open to interpretation.It simply isn't benefiting the match day experience for anyone and that makes it unfit for purpose. BIN VAR NOW.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:58:56 PM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal