collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343513 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #555 on: September 30, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
I agree with that.  We have the technology there to use and 3 people watching. A bit odd then that all it appears to be doing is offside more accurately than a linesman when its purpose is to highlight stuff the ref has missed and to right his wrongs.  Or is it that it's applied very effectively in almost every other game rather than the ones that feature us?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #556 on: September 30, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
I think looking at everything and them waiting for a break in play will cause even more issues. What if there is no stoppage for 5 minutes? What if another infringement requiring VAR happens during the interim? What happens if there is a red card offence in the interim but then you go back and VAR shows an earlier offence? And so on.

At the moment if it feels like the PL amongst others is in Beta testing mode for the rest of football and it will be something like version 6.3 before they get it right.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #557 on: September 30, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
I think looking at everything and them waiting for a break in play will cause even more issues. What if there is no stoppage for 5 minutes? What if another infringement requiring VAR happens during the interim? What happens if there is a red card offence in the interim but then you go back and VAR shows an earlier offence? And so on.

At the moment if it feels like the PL amongst others is in Beta testing mode for the rest of football and it will be something like version 6.3 before they get it right.

You may be right, but in that case say it to the ref at the time - 'Hold up ref, you've missed a handball there'. Ref blows up and then makes a call as to whether he wants to check the screen himself to be sure, but in most cases he should be instructed to take the advice and make the call without a need to review.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #558 on: September 30, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »

You may be right, but in that case say it to the ref at the time - 'Hold up ref, you've missed a handball there'. Ref blows up and then makes a call as to whether he wants to check the screen himself to be sure, but in most cases he should be instructed to take the advice and make the call without a need to review.

That's exactly how I'd go

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #559 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
So we've had the Grealish "dive", the Arsenal players in the wall, the handball that wasn't.

VAR is no different to the referees favouring the establishment.  Its almost like a bullying tool.  Bin it.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #560 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
Officials having a blinder!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #561 on: September 30, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »
If the 'goal' isn't disallowed by the time the other team kicks off again, then the 'goal' should be awarded.  Bloody stupid waiting for three whole minutes before the VAR squad get their act together.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #562 on: September 30, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
If the 'goal' isn't disallowed by the time the other team kicks off again, then the 'goal' should be awarded.  Bloody stupid waiting for three whole minutes before the VAR squad get their act together.
The whole thing is a nonsense. We're still getting controversial decisions. It got one right tonight in the MU v ARS game. Shocker from the linesman that var put right but they still missed a nailed on handball for a Yanited penalty. I think it's changed the game for the worst. Imagine a late late call like in our game v Burnley in a big local derby? Or if a team gets a last gasp goal (like us at Palace) and it means survival or at the other end a title decider? It will happen. Cue fucking pandemomeum. They're playing with fire imo. Get rid asap.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #563 on: October 01, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
How wasn't that a Penalty for MU last night? It's far too inconsistent

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #564 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
I just think they should use the cricket or tennis model. Each team gets one “appeal” per game - if they get it right they keep it. Appeals only overturn the ref’s decision if it’s clearly wrong.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #565 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
I just think they should use the cricket or tennis model. Each team gets one “appeal” per game - if they get it right they keep it. Appeals only overturn the ref’s decision if it’s clearly wrong.
Problem here is decisions in football are still open to interpretation a lot of the time. Cricket & tennis are much easier to clear up using technology. Last nights game was a good example. Same as us at Arsenal. Both were nailed on handballs therefore a penalty. Both occasions var failed to clear up a decision that the ref clearly got wrong. The system is deeply flawed in my view and unfit for purpose. If one of these clearly wrong decisions cost a club it's place in the Premier league would a rich owner be willing or able to challenge it in court? Just a thought 

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #566 on: October 06, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
Can I ask one favour of those in charge at Villa Park?

Can we now dispense with having to listen to Alan Shearer telling us all about VAR on the big screen before the game?

It's not an FA requirement because Norwich didn't do it yesterday.

We all know what VAR is now.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #567 on: October 19, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
Shocking mis-use of it in many games today. Not fit for purpose.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #568 on: October 19, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
Shocking mis-use of it in many games today. Not fit for purpose.

From what I have seen and heard I would say it has been VAR's darkest day so far. I look forward to the MOTD verdicts on our game, the Wolves game and the Spurs game.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #569 on: October 19, 2019, 07:28:10 PM »
VAR needs to be suspended until next season. A complete (sensible) review needs to be carried out. A complete and utter shambles run by idiots.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:57:26 PM by Villafirst »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal