collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343455 times)

Offline Davkaus

Re: VAR
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2019, 09:51:45 PM »
VAR won’t solve corrupt officiating.

Outside the realms of possibility for it to happen in the English game, according to some. Just have to ignore the evidence before your own eyes.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
OK we know there are mistakes by referees, but fuck me, how is that clown today allowed to ref a game, and how the fuck will he be allowed to ref any other Premier League game?
And please tell me, why the fuck wasn't the cheating bastards decision looked at and overturned???
My understanding of VAR, was that those who were on the VAR monitors, contacted the ref if a decision was a Fuck up.
If that's the case, then those refs on the monitors were either totally fucking incompetent, or they were all fucking cheats.

Sorry if my swearing upsets anyone, and leads me to being banned, but tough shit.
I've said it as I've seen it !!!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
Having just seen on MOTD you are right Eddie, it’s cheating

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »
And how was it not a pen for Haller in the West Ham game?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2019, 11:58:41 PM »
Yeah another shocking refereeing decision and an even worse one by whichever numpty was controlling VAR.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #395 on: September 01, 2019, 12:01:34 AM »
Not sure if this has been shared yet but the following is from the Premier League's statement on the incident:

"Under the IFAB Protocol the VAR is allowed to review the potential penalty situation. Having reviewed the incident the VAR judged that no ‘Clear and Obvious’ error had occurred and the on-field decision of simulation remained.

The VAR was unable to check the ‘goal’ because the whistle went before the ball went into the net."

So there we are. VAR says it was a dive too.

Fuck it out the window.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #396 on: September 01, 2019, 12:07:19 AM »
If it's not going to give the correct decision I fail to see the point of VAR.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #397 on: September 01, 2019, 12:12:39 AM »

VAR has missed loads of clear penalties so far, players getting kicked in airs and yet no penalties given as it dosen't seem "clear and obvious" enough apparently.

You all see awful challenges like Tielemans not getting punished either.

I'm not anti-Var but the implementation so far has been poor and made it pretty worthless in its use.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2019, 12:43:53 AM »
The Newcastle goal should have been disallowed as well.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2019, 12:54:03 AM »
Imagine today’s scenario with Liverpool at home needing a goal in the 96th minute. Ref still makes the same decision? They’re fucking corrupt at times

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
Not sure if this has been shared yet but the following is from the Premier League's statement on the incident:

"Under the IFAB Protocol the VAR is allowed to review the potential penalty situation. Having reviewed the incident the VAR judged that no ‘Clear and Obvious’ error had occurred and the on-field decision of simulation remained.

The VAR was unable to check the ‘goal’ because the whistle went before the ball went into the net."

So there we are. VAR says it was a dive too.

Fuck it out the window.

Well, I’m not sure, it’s concluding it’s a dive, it’s in their opinion saying it wasn’t clear and obviously missed penalty, ie it could have been a fair challenge/fall etc, but not a glaring penalty.

What it’s not doing presumably is reviewing if it was or wasn’t a dive, do that decision remained.

It’s hard to imagine how you can undo the appalling decision to blow the whistle, which of course any oppo player could say they stopped playing after. 

It’s deeply disappointing that we have this system but it’s not set up to be able to avoid cock ups like that. My gut feeling is we’ll eventually get better usage but that’s no comfort to the victims of a failed experiment, us.

All of that doesn’t challenge your conclusion about the defenestration of VAR.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 01:50:45 AM by purpletrousers »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2019, 01:23:45 AM »
Has to be clear and obvious. Yet it's only use has been to chalk off goals where 1.5mm of a right knee has strayed offside.

Fucking shite.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »
And to disallow a Man City goal for an accidental handball, but not disallow the Newcastle goal today for the same thing.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
In the 40 odd games so far, has VAR overturned an on field decision by a ref? I don’t mean disallowing a goal, or pointing to something completely missed by a ref, I mean the ref has blown his whistle, and VAR has said, “No, you’ve got that wrong”?

Has a penalty been given by a ref and then rescinded by VAR?

I just wonder how much remit there is - if any - for VAR to contradict a ref for an onfield decision he’s made, and if that’s by design, or is just working that way in practise.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
Ok it's the day after the event. I've now watched THAT incident over and over. My take is this. The first foul on Grealish was outside the box so VAR coul not have given us a pen. The referee is the culprit here. He's totally on board with the "Grealish is a fucking diver" bullshit. He couldn't wait to wipe the smile off Jacks face so to me it was personal and totally unproffessional bordering on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute. Jack was fouled but in stumbling forward still had the presence of mind to poke the ball to the unmarked Lansbury. He made no appeal for any foul or penalty. He did what we've been calling for him to do. He made a great forward run which completely unhinged Palace.He made a killer through ball and we snatched a last gasp and probably undeserved equaliser. Then Mr Friend let his preconception of Jack take over which totally clouded his mind and he quite literally couldn't wait to "punish" Jack and punish us. It was unproffessional. It was personal. I don't see how he can keep his reffereeing credentials after that. As for VAR i haven't seen them get involved with any decision for fouls outside the box with the exception of offsides. Even there i think it's fatally flawed. You can not give offside when your talking about a few millimetres. At the speed of todays game you have to be 100% certain of the precise moment the ball leaves the foot of the passing player and the system simply isn't accurate enough to do that. My two penneth.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:33:02 AM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal