collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343338 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:08 AM »
I don't think it has been very stop start so far. Much better than in the Women's World Cup where every ninety minute match seemed to last at least one hundred.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:23 AM »
Not a fan.

I get that they want to get decisions right - especially with the money tied up in the game - but it makes games too stop start, and you almost cant celebrate a goal just in case someone's left testicle was offside.

Also the lack of consistency.  We had a very strong penalty shouy last week not reviewed, but they looked at a "potential red card" for McGinn which was a total non-incident.  It almost feels like they pick and choose which incidents to review just to suit them.

First bold bit this is the teething problems, once they're more used to it decision like the Gabriel Jesus one last week will go away, changing marginal decisions was never the point.

Second bold bit, it was reviewed, they decided no penalty, the commentators mentioned it at the time, the 'problem' was not going back far enough to see the blatant shirt pull just before it which would've been a free kick in a dangerous area.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2019, 12:16:06 AM »
If you start reviewing potential dangerous free kicks it will be much more stop start than it is now.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »
If you start reviewing potential dangerous free kicks it will be much more stop start than it is now.

I agree, that's why I said problem rather than mistake, I don't think they were wrong not to check it.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
I've just seen the Man City 'goal' that was ruled out by VAR, and I'm not sure why there was so much fuss over the decision?

A Man City player went to head the cross, missed with his head, it then hit his arm which then changed the direction of the ball, allowing it to fall to another Man City player who then scored.

No goal = correct decision. Well done VAR.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2019, 11:31:42 PM »
I've just seen the Man City 'goal' that was ruled out by VAR, and I'm not sure why there was so much fuss over the decision?

A Man City player went to head the cross, missed with his head, it then hit his arm which then changed the direction of the ball, allowing it to fall to another Man City player who then scored.

No goal = correct decision. Well done VAR.

I think the argument around VAR is not that there's any opposition to getting the right result - it's hard to argue with that.

It's about the implementation - that example in the Man City match, for example, the delay between goal celebrations and VAR verdict was insanely long.

That evening, I'd looked at the score of that match, seen it was 2-2, and watching the highlights, the delay between goal and no-goal was so long, I actually started thinking maybe I'd misread the final score on Fotmob.

With the reason for the goal being ruled out, that's a whole other discussion, and due to a rule change this season. In this example, I think we've seen the two combine to create the perfect storm.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2019, 12:51:59 AM »
Its killing the game already.  Football is aerobic which means its non stop or supposed to be, whilst Rugby or cricket where VAR is used successfully is anaerobic (stop and start) that's the difference and why it will never fit well in the game.

Offline KRS

« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2019, 01:04:03 AM »
The new handball rules are wrong in many ways and it’s not the fault of VAR that it’s technology is used to enforce it. It’s been used twice against Wolves and Man City so these shitty new rules are here to stay for this season at least.

The offside rule also needs a tweak with the implementation of new technology. There is no way that the default rule should disallow a goal because an inch of a shoulder, elbow, toe or any other body part was deemed to be offside. A person isn’t an inanimate object so it can’t be black and white like a ball over a line, so may be they should use a specific point of the body such as the head  or groin.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:05:40 AM by KRS »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »
The new handball rules are the fault of the EU, Ian Holloway said. He gets paid to air opinions like this you know.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2019, 06:55:37 AM »
The new handball rules are the fault of the EU, Ian Holloway said. He gets paid to air opinions like this you know.

Does that mean we can use VAR on the Irish border?

Offline Holte132

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
The new handball rules are wrong in many ways and it’s not the fault of VAR that it’s technology is used to enforce it. It’s been used twice against Wolves and Man City so these shitty new rules are here to stay for this season at least.

The offside rule also needs a tweak with the implementation of new technology. There is no way that the default rule should disallow a goal because an inch of a shoulder, elbow, toe or any other body part was deemed to be offside. A person isn’t an inanimate object so it can’t be black and white like a ball over a line, so may be they should use a specific point of the body such as the head  or groin.

I may be completely wrong here - wouldn't be the first time!! - but I thought that for a player to be offside the part of the body deemed thus had to be a part that could be scored with. So if your arm was in an offside position it wouldn't count as offside.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »
I still think a review system will be implemented in due course. It would certainly eliminate a lot of the complaints about the current set up, it would certainly help with the flow of the game and in most cases give back the joy of scoring a goal, if the ref is happy and reviews have been used up, a goal is a fucking goal!

Our game last weekend would've been different for a start. Billings potential second yellow was not referred, even though it was a major decision and potential game changer. To refer these sorts of incidents to VAR regularly would be barmy, increasing the amount of disruption but if we had used a review, he may have been sent off. Reviews will be precious and who knows, Smith may not have used one for the Billings incident(s) but as things stand we have a hue and cry for everything and it's solving nothing.

And Ian Holloway can go and fuck himself, the galloping ignoramus.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
In the same way that the ball is in the field of play if part of it is touching the by line offside has to be given only if the entire player is in an offside position.  Either that or adopt rugby interpretation that touching the line is over the line.  You can't  be a bit pregnant..  You can't  be a bit offside.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2019, 07:31:25 AM »
And Ian Holloway can go and fuck himself.  Illiterate blockhead.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
With the offsides, if they're going to give things off by millimetres, does this mean that the powers that be are 100% sure that the chosen frame to judge when the ball was played is also accurate to a zero percent error margin? Like, on a quantum level, that that was the exact moment the attacker played the ball? A movement at a leisurely 20mph and filmed at 1,000fps will travel best part of a centimetre between frames.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal