collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343450 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: VAR
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
The strangulated celebration will become a hallmark of the game in the years to come, no more "limbs" and "scenes" as the realisation that the goal might be ruled out after a certain time. Once it is given that magic moment has gone, it's just beyond awful. The whole game revolves around that moment of unbridled joy, overwhelming emotion, an eruption of relief and celebration and it has been reduced to a calm, dispassionate reading of events leading to a precise outcome that may be correct but is utterly joyless. Stripping the game of that emotion is stripping the game of it's very soul, it's why we watch and take part, the unpredictable rollercoaster will have it's dips flattened out and it's peaks reduced. The sense of injustice that fires both fans and players and indeed managers to go that extra yard, to sing that bit more loudly, to bear a grudge for 20 years, to foster an irrational hatred of a previously benign opponent will be removed and replaced by a perfectly reasoned and scientifically proven decision so we can all sleep easy at night. Not the sleep of the disturbed and angry, vengeful supporter who will claim forevermore that that ref denied their team untold glory due to a dubious offside in a 3rd round cup tie.

Offer me VAR, Vidic being sent off and a League Cup win and I would turn you down.

VAR will not go away but I predict that the "appeals" system will be introduced to avoid disruption to the game, the likes of which we've seen in this Summers World Cup and we can then return to that primeval roar of delight when the ball hits the back of the net and more often than not wave goodbye to "hang on lads, we need to wait for VAR"

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2019, 09:59:17 AM »
Does contact constitute a foul? Of course it doesn’t.
Looking back at the penalty incident from the other night, it took multiple camera views played over and over again at various speeds to determine that there was the slightest brush against the England attacker from the defender. The England player was already going down and I don’t believe the touch was enough to deny her a goal scoring chance.
But, that’s my opinion. VAR didn’t PROVE that there was a foul, it was interpreted as such.

Applying that principle, If VAR had been used at Wembley, you could guarantee that McGinn’s goal would have been looked at, and if one of the 10 camera angles showed that he brushed the goalie in any way, that goal would not have stood.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
I said penalty in real time.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »
The strangulated celebration will become a hallmark of the game in the years to come, no more "limbs" and "scenes" as the realisation that the goal might be ruled out after a certain time. Once it is given that magic moment has gone, it's just beyond awful. The whole game revolves around that moment of unbridled joy, overwhelming emotion, an eruption of relief and celebration and it has been reduced to a calm, dispassionate reading of events leading to a precise outcome that may be correct but is utterly joyless. Stripping the game of that emotion is stripping the game of it's very soul, it's why we watch and take part, the unpredictable rollercoaster will have it's dips flattened out and it's peaks reduced. The sense of injustice that fires both fans and players and indeed managers to go that extra yard, to sing that bit more loudly, to bear a grudge for 20 years, to foster an irrational hatred of a previously benign opponent will be removed and replaced by a perfectly reasoned and scientifically proven decision so we can all sleep easy at night. Not the sleep of the disturbed and angry, vengeful supporter who will claim forevermore that that ref denied their team untold glory due to a dubious offside in a 3rd round cup tie.

Offer me VAR, Vidic being sent off and a League Cup win and I would turn you down.

VAR will not go away but I predict that the "appeals" system will be introduced to avoid disruption to the game, the likes of which we've seen in this Summers World Cup and we can then return to that primeval roar of delight when the ball hits the back of the net and more often than not wave goodbye to "hang on lads, we need to wait for VAR"

You'd rather scrap a first-pass at a piece of technology for which the game has been crying out for years than see Villa win a trophy? Baffling.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
We assume VAR would see Vidic sent off. It didn't get the American sent off in the World Cup semi did it?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »
Apart from being used badly I think it highlights some problems with the laws of the game and their interpretation by humans.  The offside law, as others have said, should be onside if any part of the body is onside, not the reverse.  It favour the attacking team and would result in more goals, and is probably easier to spot.  Apparently, so I've read,  Linesmen have been told not to flag for offside and let it go to VAR if there's any doubt.  If true then that's utterly ridiculous, I mean, what the fuck are they there for if not offside decisions? 

The other issue is diving - you'd hope it would be eradicated by VAR but I can actually see the opposite happening.   Some officials these days seem to see any contact as a foul so the merest touch is going to result in penalties.   Slow motion replays often make contact look a lot worse than it was.  VAR is not going to eradicate bad human decisions unfortunately. 

The only way is to limit it to appeals by each team, one or two per game max, if marginal let the referee's decision stand like in cricket.  Then it would work I reckon. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »

You'd rather scrap a first-pass at a piece of technology for which the game has been crying out for years than see Villa win a trophy? Baffling.

The game hasn't been crying out for it. There are a lot of things football needs before this.

Offline Hinckley Dave

« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
Spot on there Nev, agree 100%. I don't think the game has been crying out for technology for years as some say. Football's been going for a few year now and has managed to attract one or two people to pop along. I don't think anyone's ever stopped going to the game because of a dodgy goal being given against them. Some might though if all we're going to see for 90 minutes is players drawing imaginary squares in the air, which is what will happen.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Is there a sitting on the fence option?  Half of it is ideal, the other half is a load of bollocks.
Dave you need VAR to help you?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

The game hasn't been crying out for it. There are a lot of things football needs before this.

Such as? Please elaborate. Bearing in mind this is your opinion, and some people - professionals and spectators alike - have actually been crying out for video technology for a long time now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:23 AM »
Don't like  bin it. It's not fair either and football is a game of errors so leave it alone. Take offside decisions for example. If a goal is scored it's immediately checked for offside regardless of on pitch officials intervention. If it's offside it's disallowed. Fine, however if  the Line Assistant wrongly flags a player offside the game is either stopped or effectively stopped even if the player goes on to convert. There is no VAR solution for that so by default it's unfair way to judge offside.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »

Such as? Please elaborate. Bearing in mind this is your opinion, and some people - professionals and spectators alike - have actually been crying out for video technology for a long time now.

Better redistribution of wealth, help for grassroots football, the farcical loans system, FFP, re-arranged fixtures and their inconvenience to supporters. Little details like that.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »

Better redistribution of wealth, help for grassroots football, the farcical loans system, FFP, re-arranged fixtures and their inconvenience to supporters. Little details like that.

Just because those issues exist doesn't mean another problem, like the chronic mismanagement of games by pitch officials, shouldn't also be addressed by the use of video assistant. It's not a case of focusing on one thing to the detriment of others, holistic improvements can be made across the board in tandem with each other.

The Chelsea goals against Cardiff last season are a good example of why VAR is needed. I don't have any affinity to either club, but Cardiff should not by rights have lost that game, and when enough of those decisions go against you it means relegation. Hopefully VAR will mean that poor decisions are less of a contributing factor to Villa's fortunes in the PL.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »

If the game carries on in this fashion I won't want to watch it, or Villa. My point is that the emotion and soul of the game are being eroded. In order for the team I follow to prosper the game must be healthy, no game, no Villa.

And "the game" hasn't been crying out for it for years, certain followers have, lead by the media and juvenile managers who cast the blame everywhere else to cover up their own deficiencies. There was/is nothing wrong with the game, good teams win, bad ones lose, officials, like players and managers make mistakes.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
I agree 100% with Nev.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal